Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tetley's Challenge Cup: Hull KR v St Helens KO 2.30pm (BBCTV)

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Hull KR by 13 points or more (3 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

2. Voted Hull KR by 7 to 12 points (5 votes [31.25%])

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

3. Hull KR by 1 to 6 points (2 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. St Helens by 1 to 6 points (2 votes [12.50%])

5. St Helens by 7 to 12 points (2 votes [12.50%])

6. St Helens by 13 points or more (2 votes [12.50%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,950 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:55 PM

IMO Wilkin gets away with a lot of stuff other players get canned for.  If Meli doesn't stiff arm Hall it's game over anyway.  One of the worst stiff arms I've seen - reminiscent of Paul Rose on Johnnie Gilbert at Wembley in '83.

With you all the way on that post 

Saints also seem to think the shoulder charge hasn't been banned for some reason.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#102 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,371 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:08 PM

Where the hell were the explosions with Bruce Willis diving through them to score a try for USA in the 2013 World Cup Final???

You know Willis was born in Germany and his mother was German? haha

#103 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:13 PM

I'm not sure what the punishment is for a shoulder charge per se.  Is it just a penalty?

Just to be clear, yes. A shoulder charge itself is just a penalty.

The two that were also put on report were not for the shoulder charges but for possible contact with the head as Silverwood and the touch judges said at the time they did not see where contact was made.

#104 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

Good crowd at Fev for both the Cas and Wigan games last year

Depends what you'd class as good - the crowds were ok imho.

I should have probably clarified, I would always expect a half decent crowd if it was staged at the lower division club due to the novelty, but the crowds as far as I'm aware have always been well down when played at the top division club's ground.

#105 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,670 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

One of the worst stiff arms I've seen - reminiscent of Paul Rose on Johnnie Gilbert at Wembley in '83.

I wouldn't bring Wembley '83 up as examples of foul play if I were you.

Terry Hudson kicking Kevin Harkin in the head was far worse than anything Paul Rose ever did.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#106 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

Meli's attempt was pretty horrific and he ought to get banned for a few games even though he had a spotless record prior to that (I think).  Wilkin will probably get one or two games as well and rightly so.  I'd be disappointed if Gardner got banned because it looked like fairly standard contact (though I haven't watched it back).

All in all a rather bad day as far as discipline goes.

#107 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:20 PM

Lovely stuff.  :D

Posted Image

#108 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,993 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

I would imagine Meli won't be banned for a while, dislocated elbow by all accounts. I've not seen it often but would a ban start from when he is medically passed fit to play?

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#109 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

I would imagine Meli won't be banned for a while, dislocated elbow by all accounts. I've not seen it often but would a ban start from when he is medically passed fit to play?

Nope - he'll probably get 4 matches and be out for around 10 with an injury anyway.

Personally I'd be looking at the maximum ban possible, it really was a sickening tackle. 

#110 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,993 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:45 AM

Nope - he'll probably get 4 matches and be out for around 10 with an injury anyway.

Personally I'd be looking at the maximum ban possible, it really was a sickening tackle. 

I think he should serve his ban when he's fit to play. Otherwise it isn't a ban!

Without wanting to rake over old ground, I think the stall was set with the ban handed out for Chase on Ropati...

Edited by hindle xiii, 22 April 2013 - 09:45 AM.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#111 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

I think he should serve his ban when he's fit to play. Otherwise it isn't a ban!

Without wanting to rake over old ground, I think the stall was set with the ban handed out for Chase on Ropati...

Well then he just gets declared fit to play 4 weeks earlier

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#112 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,993 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

Well then he just gets declared fit to play 4 weeks earlier

Yeah even I saw that outcome, but it's better than nowt.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#113 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:29 AM

I think the only way that could work would be to have the disciplinary hearing in the week after his next appearance.

#114 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:56 PM

If the RFL show some balls then Saints could be missing quite a few for the next game. Walmsley is in trouble for a crusher tackle on Welham near the end of the game. Wilkin was at it all game and could be pulled for any number of incidents. Gardner on Welham with the shoulder, Turner with the shoulder. And of course the daddy of them all Meli with his 1980's style "tackle" on Hall.

#115 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,962 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

I wouldn't bring Wembley '83 up as examples of foul play if I were you.

Terry Hudson kicking Kevin Harkin in the head was far worse than anything Paul Rose ever did.

You could argue that Hudson was going for the ball  - I don't say he was but you could argue that - there's absolutely no doubt what Rose was going for. Gilbert was never the same player again after that tackle.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#116 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,212 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:11 PM

If the RFL show some balls then Saints could be missing quite a few for the next game. Walmsley is in trouble for a crusher tackle on Welham near the end of the game. Wilkin was at it all game and could be pulled for any number of incidents. Gardner on Welham with the shoulder, Turner with the shoulder. And of course the daddy of them all Meli with his 1980's style "tackle" on Hall.

Walmsley isn't in trouble for anything and nor is Turner.  Turner was penalised for his shoulder charge which wasn't one to the head.

#117 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

A rule is a rule, of course. With Wilkin being put on Report, why then did Gardner and Turner commit the same offence? The players need a good lecture.

Because when you want to really line someone up and hit them hard its the natural thing to do. It's the same reason why RU a game that has always banned the shoulder charge still has players every now and then using them.

#118 TheChief

TheChief
  • Players
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:41 AM

Don't want to turn this into a shoulder charge debate but the ironic thing for me (do they do irony in Australia?) was that the build up VT for the Auz v NZ game showed a number of big hits in an effort to big up the game, 90% of them were shoulder charges.

It would be more sensible to ban players who shoulder charge to the head, make the ban significant so as to encourage better technique. You can liken it to the spear tackle. When it was legal, it was simply hands down the most dangerous tackle in the game. The comparison would be to prevent anyone lifting an attacker off his feet, but that simply wouldn't be practical.....you can still seriously injure a player by picking him up and dumping them on their back, but that's still allowed, why? Because its part of the game. Legal shoulder charges are part of the game and are necessary in some instances - a winger the size of Ryan Hall rampaging down the wing to squeeze in at the corner and Tomkins comes across and shoulder charges him into touch by the corner flag....should that be a penalty try? You would have to say yes as in such an instance a traditional tackle by Tomkins on a guy twice his size would be ineffective. Crazy rule.
Follow me on twitter @MalcHankey

#119 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:03 AM

Because when you want to really line someone up and hit them hard its the natural thing to do. It's the same reason why RU a game that has always banned the shoulder charge still has players every now and then using them.

But surly after one offence being put on Report then other players should heed the warning!

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#120 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,331 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

IMO Wilkin gets away with a lot of stuff other players get canned for.  If Meli doesn't stiff arm Hall it's game over anyway.  One of the worst stiff arms I've seen - reminiscent of Paul Rose on Johnnie Gilbert at Wembley in '83.

How do you come to that conclusion?

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users