Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tetley's Challenge Cup Fourth Round (19-21 April)

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

Poll: Which of these ties is the most interesting pairing to you? (52 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of these ties is the most interesting pairing to you?

1. Voted Wigan Warriors v Leigh Centurions (3 votes [5.77%])

Percentage of vote: 5.77%

2. Widnes Vikings v Doncaster (1 votes [1.92%])

Percentage of vote: 1.92%

3. Leeds Rhinos v Castleford Tigers (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Hemel Stags v Wakefield Wildcats (2 votes [3.85%])

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

5. Sheffield Eagles v Dewsbury Rams (0 votes [0.00%])

6. London Broncos v Featherstone Rovers (17 votes [32.69%])

Percentage of vote: 32.69%

7. Hull Kingston Rovers v St Helens (1 votes [1.92%])

8. Hull FC v North Wales Crusaders (3 votes [5.77%])

9. Hunslet Hawks v Catalan Dragons (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Batley Bulldogs v Huddersfield Giants (6 votes [11.54%])

Percentage of vote: 11.54%

11. Rochdale Hornets v Bradford Bulls (5 votes [9.62%])

Percentage of vote: 9.62%

12. Halifax v Barrow Raiders (0 votes [0.00%])

13. Keighley Cougars v Warrington Wolves (0 votes [0.00%])

14. University of Gloucestershire All Golds v Salford City Reds (1 votes [1.92%])

15. York City Knights v Toulouse Olympique (3 votes [5.77%])

16. Whitehaven v Workington Town (8 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

17. None of them interest me. (2 votes [3.85%])

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,617 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

Discuss the Tetley's Challenge Cup Fourth Round ties here.

FRIDAY 19 APRIL
Wigan Warriors v Leigh Centurions    20:00
Widnes Vikings v Doncaster    20:00
Leeds Rhinos v Castleford Tigers    20:00

SATURDAY 20 APRIL
Hemel Stags v Wakefield Wildcats    18:00
(at Rapid Solicitors Stadium)
Sheffield Eagles v Dewsbury Rams    15:00
(at Don Valley Stadium)  
London Broncos v Featherstone Rovers    15:00
Hull Kingston Rovers v St Helens    14:30 (BBC Sport) - see seperate thread

SUNDAY 21 APRIL
Hull FC v North Wales Crusaders    13:00
Hunslet Hawks v Catalan Dragons    13:00
Batley Bulldogs v Huddersfield Giants    14:00
Rochdale Hornets v Bradford Bulls    15:00
Halifax v Barrow Raiders    15:00
Keighley Cougars v Warrington Wolves    15:00
University of Gloucestershire All Golds v Salford City Reds    15:00
York City Knights v Toulouse Olympique    15:00
Whitehaven v Workington Town    15:00

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

Eagles star relishing Challenge Cup rivalry
#TetleysChCup

Dominic Brambani will put friendships to one side when Sheffield Eagles face his former club Dewsbury Rams in the fourth round of the Tetley’s Challenge Cup at Don Valley Stadium on Saturday (3.00).
Brambani spent two years with the Rams between spells at Sheffield and the versatile half-back, who won a Championship Grand Final winners medal last season during his first season back with the South Yorkshire club, is looking forward to locking horns with his former team-mates.
“It’s always nice to play one of your former clubs,” said Brambani. “It gives you that extra incentive to play well against them.
“I had a really good two years there and Dewsbury will always have a special place in my heart, but that will all be forgotten when the match starts – I’ll be going out there to knock them out of the competition.
“They have brought in quite a lot of new players since I left but I will be telling the Sheffield lads what I know about the ones who are left.
“It’s a game that we are looking forward to and we know it will be a tough game, we won’t be taking it lightly.”
Having won the competition in dramatic fashion in 1998, when they defeated Wigan Warriors in an historic final at Wembley, Sheffield Eagles have a proud tradition in the Challenge Cup and Brambani says that feat isn’t lost on the current squad.
“The Challenge Cup is a special competition for Sheffield Eagles and in particular for our coach Mark Aston who won it with the club back in 1998,” he said.
“We want to build on last year and get to the fifth round. It’s nice to get a Championship team at this stage as it gives you a bigger chance to proceed and we want to go as far as we can.
“It would be fantastic to get to the next round with the possibility of facing a Super League team - as a player it’s always nice to test yourself against the best players in the game.
“Hopefully the fans will come out in force on the day to give us support and help see us through to the next round. Our fans play a big part, they’re loud and very loyal and it would be great to get through and draw a big team for them.”

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#3 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

Can't say I can get worked up about any of them. The Cumbrian derby and the games at HKR and Halifax look close, with Fev having the best chance of an upset, although I don't really see it happening even with our abysmal performances of late.

#4 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:41 PM

Crusaders have filled the first coach for the trip to Hull and are now trying to fill a second. Several more supporters making their own way, some staying over in Hull. Should be a great atmosphere with two very vocal sets of fans who seem to have created a bit of mutual respect for each other since Crusaders move to Wrexham. Certainly, the Hull fans were brilliant when they came to Wrexham for Crusaders' last Super league game.

#5 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,415 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

Quiz question.

How many Fev lads are ex-London?

A Fev Blog

#6 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

I'll say 5?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,415 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

I'll say 5?

Indeed. A surprisingly high number when I bothered to check.

A Fev Blog

#8 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:34 AM

I've an odd feeling of an upset at Headingley. :wacko:

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#9 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:46 AM

Intriguing to see on the kit directive spreadsheet London are down to wear a 'Cup' kit. Hmm.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#10 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:28 PM

On present form, the Batley v Huddersfield game could be a cracker. Close to 2 upsets in last 2 years against the Giants and London...3rd time lucky?

Hope so!

Edited by buford t justice, 18 April 2013 - 10:29 PM.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#11 brooza

brooza
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

I've just won 4 tickets to Halifax v Barrow, I may have some spare if anyone's interested

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#12 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

Intriguing to see on the kit directive spreadsheet London are down to wear a 'Cup' kit. Hmm.

Probably because Timmy Tang Laundromat, Roehampton washed the home and away kits together at the request of the Broncos to save costs and has now turned both kits a murky colour you would find in an abyss.

At short notice, Harlequins RU have offered Broncos their 2012 home kit to wear and we will see Keiran Dixon wearing number 11! 

#13 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:16 PM

Me on my way  ;)

https://www.facebook...&type=2

Edited by amh, 19 April 2013 - 05:18 PM.

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#14 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:24 PM

Donny leading at Widnes!.....6 - 12

#15 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

Well at least I am in the majority in finding London v Featherstone as the best matchup in the round. an ailing expansion club v the flattest of cappers. G v E regardless of whether you are pro or anti traditional clubs.

This game goes against the trend in that conventional wisdom states that the full time Super League club wears down the part-tmers and cashes in within the final 20 minutes yet London Broncos under Tony Rea have a habit of second half collapses, back in 2006 the club would bulid a big lead and then cling on in the second half the 2013 version builds a half-time lead which evaporates rapidly in the second half.

The big difference in 2006 we won in 2013 we lose. is it fitness, poor technique or lack of commitment or maybe a combination of all three. Certainly this is a must win for London because otherwise the season ends on 20th April.

Only two stands will be open so while the Padge test (i.e. How many fans do you get when Catalans / London visit) is vaid to a degree, those attendances are swollen by non-attending ST holders being counted. The Challenge Cup is genuinely about seats sold and last years "crowd" of 652 v Dewsbury should have sent alarm bells ringing about the erosion of London's hardcore.

I would like to think that Kieran Dixon and Luke Dorn run riot and the Featherstone fans in the North stand, who may be in the majority in thr ground, are silenced early but in keeping with my tips this season, I fear London's Cup kit will be a true one-off this year and a "london death party" will break out in the North stand...

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#16 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:44 PM

Widnes in on last play before HT......18 - 12 but by the sounds of Donny have bossed the game for the majority of that half.....

#17 snapski

snapski
  • Coach
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

Cas 6-4 up half time.

#18 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:58 PM

Cas 6-4 up half time.

:) :)
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#19 snapski

snapski
  • Coach
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:14 PM

All Leeds second half, but Chase puts kick in for Ellis to score 12-10 Cas

#20 snapski

snapski
  • Coach
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

Clarkson in Sinfield poxes off the post 16-12 Leeds