TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Tetley's Challenge Cup Fourth Round (19-21 April)

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

Poll: Which of these ties is the most interesting pairing to you? (52 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of these ties is the most interesting pairing to you?

1. Voted Wigan Warriors v Leigh Centurions (3 votes [5.77%])

Percentage of vote: 5.77%

2. Widnes Vikings v Doncaster (1 votes [1.92%])

Percentage of vote: 1.92%

3. Leeds Rhinos v Castleford Tigers (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Hemel Stags v Wakefield Wildcats (2 votes [3.85%])

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

5. Sheffield Eagles v Dewsbury Rams (0 votes [0.00%])

6. London Broncos v Featherstone Rovers (17 votes [32.69%])

Percentage of vote: 32.69%

7. Hull Kingston Rovers v St Helens (1 votes [1.92%])

8. Hull FC v North Wales Crusaders (3 votes [5.77%])

9. Hunslet Hawks v Catalan Dragons (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Batley Bulldogs v Huddersfield Giants (6 votes [11.54%])

Percentage of vote: 11.54%

11. Rochdale Hornets v Bradford Bulls (5 votes [9.62%])

Percentage of vote: 9.62%

12. Halifax v Barrow Raiders (0 votes [0.00%])

13. Keighley Cougars v Warrington Wolves (0 votes [0.00%])

14. University of Gloucestershire All Golds v Salford City Reds (1 votes [1.92%])

15. York City Knights v Toulouse Olympique (3 votes [5.77%])

16. Whitehaven v Workington Town (8 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

17. None of them interest me. (2 votes [3.85%])

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

Leeds v Cas Highlights: http://www.therhinos...v/#.UXLiN7Xrzwo

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#62 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

London flirted with disaster at the Stoop today, going in at the half 4-0 down and with the game tied at 8-8 going into the final 20 minutes only to emerge 24-12 winners.
Truly the London performance in the first half was the worst I have seen..since the last time i saw them...Passes fired into touch, knock-ons, Schoolboy errors in letting a rugby ball bounce and standing still when receiving the ball. poor as London were (with Hurst and Gower having particularily poor games) it's sometimes forgotten that your opponent often plays well and in truth Featherstone pinned London down to the extent that London visited the Fetaterstone 20 metre loine for the first time in the 28th minute. What Featherstone must rue is having so much posession and yet so few points at the end of the half. As with many championship sides against super league opposition tries are scored only from close range with two Ian Hardman efforts until a late break for the third try. That's not to decry the championship club as I can see why Featherstone are a force in that league.
An ashen faced Tony Rea - I can't think of too many occasions when Sniffer has not been ashen faced recently - fixed the problem at the half with London playing with more intent though his decision to keep The Poacher, Luke Dorn, on the bench until the last 20 minutes was puzzling as up to that point Keiran Dixon was doing a Dennis Moran from 2004 in looking London's only Try scoring threat. The Other London player living up to his billing was Chris Bryant about the only forward giving us any "go forward" pardon the pun until Kaufusi having been subject to catcalls from the crowd emerged fired up on this third appearance. Ben Fisher was another worthy of a credit mark for London.
Featherstone';s fans, Players and Coaching staff were a credit to the club, less so their directors under the gantry in the LV stand who were getting a little "tired and emotional" as the tide turned against Rovers. Nevertheless their fans can take consolation in the fact that IMO should a 2nd Tier Super League ever come about their club can hold its own and be competitive against sides from the Lower Half of the current Super League.
In a marketing wheeze, - C'mon give Gus some credit - London unveiled its CUP shirt, available for auction after our cup run ends. With my eyesight failing in my declining years I though the kit reminiscent of the Broncos in the early noughties until I noticed the Yellow Chevron. Interesting ly the PA announce referred to it as our club colours echoing Nic Cartwright's statement that the clubs colours were Red (Homage to Charlton Athletic) in 2005.
That I came so close today to putting in a bid for Hurst and Kaufusi's shirts - well who else would - is troubling.

Edited by THE RED ROOSTER, 20 April 2013 - 07:06 PM.

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#63 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:27 PM

London flirted with disaster at the Stoop today, going in at the half 4-0 down and with the game tied at 8-8 going into the final 20 minutes only to emerge 24-12 winners.
Truly the London performance in the first half was the worst I have seen..since the last time i saw them...Passes fired into touch, knock-ons, Schoolboy errors in letting a rugby ball bounce and standing still when receiving the ball. poor as London were (with Hurst and Gower having particularily poor games) it's sometimes forgotten that your opponent often plays well and in truth Featherstone pinned London down to the extent that London visited the Fetaterstone 20 metre loine for the first time in the 28th minute. What Featherstone must rue is having so much posession and yet so few points at the end of the half. As with many championship sides against super league opposition tries are scored only from close range with two Ian Hardman efforts until a late break for the third try. That's not to decry the championship club as I can see why Featherstone are a force in that league.
An ashen faced Tony Rea - I can't think of too many occasions when Sniffer has not been ashen faced recently - fixed the problem at the half with London playing with more intent though his decision to keep The Poacher, Luke Dorn, on the bench until the last 20 minutes was puzzling as up to that point Keiran Dixon was doing a Dennis Moran from 2004 in looking London's only Try scoring threat. The Other London player living up to his billing was Chris Bryant about the only forward giving us any "go forward" pardon the pun until Kaufusi having been subject to catcalls from the crowd emerged fired up on this third appearance. Ben Fisher was another worthy of a credit mark for London.
Featherstone';s fans, Players and Coaching staff were a credit to the club, less so their directors under the gantry in the LV stand who were getting a little "tired and emotional" as the tide turned against Rovers. Nevertheless their fans can take consolation in the fact that IMO should a 2nd Tier Super League ever come about their club can hold its own and be competitive against sides from the Lower Half of the current Super League.

Would echo these statements regarding the game - Just got back from a nice 3 hour drive

We didnt get enough on the board in the first half in a half totally dominated by us, and were pretty much dominated in the second half and got ground out

Luke Dorn changed the game in favour of the broncos and we couldnt handle Keiran Dixon all game

A bit of extra quality on the day made that tiny bit of difference but a massive effort from our guys who were one sub down after Briggs was injured and subbed following his first hit up and for second year in a row lasted longer than cas in the cup

If we got the call to go into SL tomorrow we are there or there abouts in terms of competing with a few of the teams

#64 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:37 PM

Not those saints though. In the North, a lot of Protestant schools are named after indigenous Celtic saints* such as St Aiden not Catholic ones or the apostles such as Mark or Matthew.

*irony of ironies the Celtic church came from Ireland originally

I went to a St Stephen's CofE school in 'the north'.

Interesting point about the use of Celtic saints though, I'd not thought about that.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#65 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

What a crock of guff.

Lol.....you're right, completely made it up.....I've no idea why leigh fans would sing songs about the IRA.....perhaps it's the below average IQ of the town's inhabitants?

#66 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,747 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:20 PM

Why all the Leigh/Wigan abuse?

Having one good game against London is one thing.

In my view, if Fev apply to join SL having met the licence criteria, they will have to strengthen their squad so they can compete week after week.

#67 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,388 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:26 PM

In my view, if Fev apply to join SL having met the licence criteria, they will have to strengthen their squad so they can compete week after week.

Agreed. As it stands, with the squad we have, raising the game for a one off (or perhaps two off) pops at a SL side is one thing. Keeping that intensity up week in week out is another. Its not a bad squad at fev and by all accounts its to get stronger with announcements Monday.
But its not a SL squad......yet! :wink:
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#68 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

Is it me or is there a bit of an increase in petty clubsmanship going on at the minute?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#69 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:49 PM

Would echo these statements regarding the game - Just got back from a nice 3 hour drive

We didnt get enough on the board in the first half in a half totally dominated by us, and were pretty much dominated in the second half and got ground out

Luke Dorn changed the game in favour of the broncos and we couldnt handle Keiran Dixon all game

A bit of extra quality on the day made that tiny bit of difference but a massive effort from our guys who were one sub down after Briggs was injured and subbed following his first hit up and for second year in a row lasted longer than cas in the cup

If we got the call to go into SL tomorrow we are there or there abouts in terms of competing with a few of the teams

Tremendous effort from the Rovers today, keeping Broncos scoreless for 50 minutes is some achievement for a championship club playing away against SL opposition. Could have done with a few more points in the first half as you say, we did get over under the posts but couldn't get the ball to ground. Apparently we completed our first 17 sets which again is fantastic against SL opposition.

Home advantage and Luke Dorn's introduction combined with a couple of debatable decisions swung the game for London but it could so easily have gone Rovers way. Very pleasing afternoon for the four hundred travelling fans and we were all made to feel very welcome by the Broncos staff. Looking forward to the big one against Fax next week.

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 20 April 2013 - 10:55 PM.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#70 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:04 PM

London flirted with disaster at the Stoop today, going in at the half 4-0 down and with the game tied at 8-8 going into the final 20 minutes only to emerge 24-12 winners.Truly the London performance in the first half was the worst I have seen..since the last time i saw them...Passes fired into touch, knock-ons, Schoolboy errors in letting a rugby ball bounce and standing still when receiving the ball. poor as London were (with Hurst and Gower having particularily poor games) it's sometimes forgotten that your opponent often plays well and in truth Featherstone pinned London down to the extent that London visited the Fetaterstone 20 metre loine for the first time in the 28th minute. What Featherstone must rue is having so much posession and yet so few points at the end of the half. As with many championship sides against super league opposition tries are scored only from close range with two Ian Hardman efforts until a late break for the third try. That's not to decry the championship club as I can see why Featherstone are a force in that league.An ashen faced Tony Rea - I can't think of too many occasions when Sniffer has not been ashen faced recently - fixed the problem at the half with London playing with more intent though his decision to keep The Poacher, Luke Dorn, on the bench until the last 20 minutes was puzzling as up to that point Keiran Dixon was doing a Dennis Moran from 2004 in looking London's only Try scoring threat. The Other London player living up to his billing was Chris Bryant about the only forward giving us any "go forward" pardon the pun until Kaufusi having been subject to catcalls from the crowd emerged fired up on this third appearance. Ben Fisher was another worthy of a credit mark for London.Featherstone';s fans, Players and Coaching staff were a credit to the club, less so their directors under the gantry in the LV stand who were getting a little "tired and emotional" as the tide turned against Rovers. Nevertheless their fans can take consolation in the fact that IMO should a 2nd Tier Super League ever come about their club can hold its own and be competitive against sides from the Lower Half of the current Super League.In a marketing wheeze, - C'mon give Gus some credit - London unveiled its CUP shirt, available for auction after our cup run ends. With my eyesight failing in my declining years I though the kit reminiscent of the Broncos in the early noughties until I noticed the Yellow Chevron. Interesting ly the PA announce referred to it as our club colours echoing Nic Cartwright's statement that the clubs colours were Red (Homage to Charlton Athletic) in 2005.That I came so close today to putting in a bid for Hurst and Kaufusi's shirts - well who else would - is troubling.

Agree with most of that RR but can I ask how many long range tries were scored by the SL side in comparison to the typical type of close range tries you suggest are scored by Championship sides? And let's be fair the 'late try' by Rovers was the try of the match and had Liam Finn kicked the goal would have brought the score to 20-14 with nine minutes remaining. The game was far from won at that stage.

I'm not having a go at your account of the game but in reality the match was only won by the Broncos in the final few minutes. Finn for the first time in 58 games missed every kick or it would have been closer still.

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 20 April 2013 - 11:49 PM.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#71 Stag Fan

Stag Fan
  • Coach
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

A great showing by Hemel Stags against Wakey, even though the scoreline didn,t reflect that 24 - 6 at Ht , 5 tries in the last 10 minutes or so. We were made so welcomed by the Wakey fans. And the chants of "Hemel Stags are better then Cas" put a smile on my face

http://www1.skysport...rce=twitterfeed

Our star of the show was our own Sammy the Stag mascot. Made a big impression with the crowd.

Posted Image

www.hemelstags.com

Welcome to this world Harry, 5lb 2oz and fighting fit.

#72 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,865 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:02 AM

Is it me or is there a bit of an increase in petty clubsmanship going on at the minute?

My favourite bit was Hannibal having a dig at Leigh from behind his status as 'a Leigh fan'.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#73 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

Leigh hate Wigan with a feral intensity to the extent that during the 2005 season with Leigh in Super League some Wigan fans were uneasy at going to Hilton park, a prevous Challenge Cup game in that era had a bottle throwing incident IIRC. This is very sad because not only do the fans live cheek by jowl in the same metropolitan borough but given the initiative to adopt a championship club this probably prevents Wigan fans adopting Leigh.

On Featherstone, if its my post you are referring to this in the context of taking the bottom four Super League Clubs and placing them in the same league as Feathersone and Halifax and they would IMO be competitive.

Agree with most of that RR but can I ask how many long range tries were scored by the SL side in comparison to the typical type of close range tries you suggest are scored by Championship sides? And let's be fair the 'late try' by Rovers was the try of the match and had Liam Finn kicked the goal would have brought the score to 20-14 with nine minutes remaining. The game was far from won at that stage.

I'm not having a go at your account of the game but in reality the match was only won by the Broncos in the final few minutes. Finn for the first time in 58 games missed every kick or it would have been closer still.

Would not deny it was only settled in the last 20 minutes but Dixon was making big yards down your left flank in the second half and the introduction of Dorn gave us a cutting edege. In the first half you had about 4 chances in our 20 metre line in the first 15 mins and did not score, Now while partly thats down to solid defence, it also underscores the lack of craft to break down the defence because Hardman's two tries were close range low down efforts. Your late try by Kain was was down our right side of defence which is a season long problem once the game had opened up. There were a few more half breaks from your boys that were only an ankle tap from open field running and we struggled to stop the offloads particularily in the first half.

That said, I don't think either side was happy with M Alibert's "unique" refereeing style or interpretation of the laws and London only kicked 2 out of 5 conversions as well which would have cancelled out Featherstone's three missed conversions. Once back at Twickeham station the people I was speaking with thought it was a good game, so thanks for an uncomfortable 80 mins.

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#74 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

Crusaders open their account at the KC.

Hull 16 Crusaders 6 after half an hour.

Lee Radford rang me the other week....I knew Hull FC were a bit desperate but I had no idea it had got that bad.

#75 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:42 PM

Hull 62 Crusaders 6, final score.

Lee Radford rang me the other week....I knew Hull FC were a bit desperate but I had no idea it had got that bad.

#76 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

bulldogs 4 giants 0 at half time
Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#77 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:09 PM

bulldogs 4 giants 0 at half time

Ha, great stuff.

#78 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

bulldogs 4 giants 10 with few mins left on the clock
Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#79 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

fulltime bulldogs 4 giants 13 ... and by look of it a strong Huddersfield side put out
Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#80 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:00 PM

Though the result was never in doubt today I must say the way the fans of the NW Crusaders enjoyed the game and the day out brought a bit of that cup magic back for me. They came to enjoy themselves and that's just what they did. Even the landlord of the pub we were in got them all singing when he stuck a Tom Jones cd on.

Edited by westhuller, 21 April 2013 - 03:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users