Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

19/04/13 - ANZAC Test: Australia v New Zealand (Premier Sports)

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Australia by 13 points or more (8 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

2. Australia by 7 to 12 points (6 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Australia by 1 to 6 points (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Draw (1 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

5. New Zealand by 1 to 6 points (2 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

6. New Zealand by 7 to 12 points (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. New Zealand by 13 points or more (1 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

Discuss the ANZAC Test between Australia v New Zealand here.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

Test Teams are.

2013 ANZAC Test teams

Australia Squad:

1 Billy Slater
2 Darius Boyd
3 Greg Inglis
4 Justin Hodges
5 Brett Morris
6 Johnathan Thurston
7 Cooper Cronk
8 Matt Scott
9 Cameron Smith (Capt)
10 James Tamou
11 Greg Bird
12 Sam Thaiday
13 Paul Gallen

Interchange

14 Kurt Gidley
15 Nate Myles
16 Luke Lewis
17 Anthony Watmough
18 Josh Morris

New Zealand Squad:

1 Josh Hoffman
2 Sam Perrett
3 Shaun Kenny-Dowall
4 Dean Whare
5 Jason Nightingale
6 Keiran Foran
7 Shaun Johnson
8 Jesse Bromwich
9 Isaac Luke
10 Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
11 Frank Pritchard
12 Kevin Proctor
13 Simon Mannering (capt)

Interchange

14 Elijah Taylor
15 Sam McKendry
16 Ben Matulino
17 Alex Glenn
18 Tohu Harris

#3 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

meaningless test match that mirrors the boring Autumn RU Internationals and the Southern RU Tours.

Nothing to gain here, just another game.

Australia by 18+ in front of under 20K to show just how out of whack the international calendar is.

#4 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,882 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:31 PM

meaningless test match that mirrors the boring Autumn RU Internationals and the Southern RU Tours.

Nothing to gain here, just another game.

Australia by 18+ in front of under 20K to show just how out of whack the international calendar is.

This could well be a preview of the World Cup final. Why is it meaningless, especially since it is part of the celebration of the bravery and heroism of Australian and New Zealand soldiers. Do you know what the word patriotism means. If so, see if you can find some allegiance to your country or allow others to do so without htis meaningless negative post.

#5 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,826 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

The Kiwis tend to do better in tournaments, compared to ANZAC matches. While there's a lot of talent in the NZ team, I'd expect the Kangaroos to be better on the night and more together as a team, to win by a comfortable margin.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#6 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

This could well be a preview of the World Cup final. Why is it meaningless, especially since it is part of the celebration of the bravery and heroism of Australian and New Zealand soldiers. Do you know what the word patriotism means. If so, see if you can find some allegiance to your country or allow others to do so without htis meaningless negative post.

I have nothing against the celebration of Anzacs and the war dead. I just don't think that this game has any meaning to the representative game. A world cup later this year, S.O.O. to come very shortly. In November when the World Cup is won or lost, who will care if they won the Anzac test earlier in the year. No mid-season internationals when there are end of season internationals planned. 

If it meant anything to the RL public in Aus, they would be there in huge numbers. It doesn't, so they won't.

Don't give me celebration of the Anzacs either. This fixture was started as a poor answer to the annual Anzac day game between Essendon and Carlton.

#7 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

Essendon and Collingwood

#8 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

Tha Kangaroos selection, while immensely strong, is a little conservative.

Justin Hodges' selection in the centres is a case in point - a very good player in his prime but someone who has slowed up considerably after persistent injury has taken its toll. What kind of impact has he made this year for Brisbane? Kurt Gidley's in for his utility value - but has barely played and has yet to distinguish himself at Origin level... while Melbourne's former Wigan back rower looks a superior player to Lewis and Watmough.

For NZ, it seems that they are cursed never to be able to play their very best 13. I'm happy that they've decided against putting in the decent, hard-working but limited back-rower Mannering in the centres - and I'd be starting both Matulino and Harris.

I'd like NZ to win but suspect an Australia victory by a margin of 18+ points. From what I've read, it looks like there'll be a 25000 sell-out at Canberra which should provide a vibrant backdrop to a fixture that is likely to attract very high TV ratings.

The only way that this could be improved upon is for the return of a 3 Test-match series - with England awaiting their turn.

#9 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:19 PM

Why is jamal idris never selected? racism springs to mind!!!!! Hope I'm wrong.

#10 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,826 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:29 PM

Inconsistency, perhaps? When he's on his game, he's a destructive player, but sometimes you wonder if he's awake.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#11 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:36 PM

Oh I agree with tht but surely he warrants a place

#12 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

No SBW?

Could have put another 20k bums on seats....

#13 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

Australia, comfortably.

#14 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,585 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

Yes, because Australia never pick black players...
Posted Image

#15 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

No SBW?

I read he was thinking of playing for Samoa in the World Cup this year, which I would like to think rules him out of playing for NZ in April.

It does surprise me as you would think he would be dead keen to be in the squad with a view to picking up a winners medal in both rugby world cups. Can't think of anyone else who has achieved this. 

Edited by foozler, 17 April 2013 - 02:39 PM.

#16 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

No SBW?

SBW was not made available for selection due to injury. Canberra only holds around 25000 and it is heading for a sell-out.

#17 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 390 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

SBW was not made available for selection due to injury. Canberra only holds around 25000 and it is heading for a sell-out.

SBW is 'injured' basically meaning he can't be bothered to play in this test, I'd imagine he'll play in the WC for NZ though.

Idris has played for Australia in the past but isn't in the kind of form to merit selection.

Edited by The Big Gun, 17 April 2013 - 03:24 PM.

#18 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

I read he was thinking of playing for Samoa in the World Cup this year, which I would like to think rules him out of playing for NZ in April.

It does surprise me as you would think he would be dead keen to be in the squad with a view to picking up a winners medal in both rugby world cups. Can't think of anyone else who has achieved this. 

As trakl states, SBW is injured. But just on your point about he was thinking about playing for Samoa, it was actually Parramatta's Reni Maitua who came out and stated that he was trying to persuade Sonny Bill to turn out for the Samoans. I don't think at any point has Sonny BIll said this himself.

#19 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,624 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:59 PM

The Australia side is strong and is very much the tried and tested. Some of that bench have been around for donkey's.

Surprising, actually, since the Aussies usually use this fixture to 'tie down' a few Islanders.

They'll win by about 16 I think.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#20 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

Made it onto the RL meltdown Twitter account with that post congratulations.

I'd have Josh Morris ahead of Hodges but apart from that couldn't pick a much stronger Aussie side.

Every Aussie is tried and tested at international level. They consistently beat NZ is anzac tests and I can't see this being any different.

Aus 28 - 12.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users