Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

19/04/13 - ANZAC Test: Australia v New Zealand (Premier Sports)

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Australia by 13 points or more (8 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

2. Australia by 7 to 12 points (6 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Australia by 1 to 6 points (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Draw (1 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

5. New Zealand by 1 to 6 points (2 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

6. New Zealand by 7 to 12 points (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. New Zealand by 13 points or more (1 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

Made it onto the RL meltdown Twitter account with that post congratulations.
I'd have Josh Morris ahead of Hodges but apart from that couldn't pick a much stronger Aussie side.
Every Aussie is tried and tested at international level. They consistently beat NZ is anzac tests and I can't see this being any different.
Aus 28 - 12.

How you mean???

#22 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

Just seen it

#23 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,357 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

I'd have Josh Morris ahead of Hodges but apart from that couldn't pick a much stronger Aussie side.

Me too

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#24 hutch

hutch
  • Coach
  • 357 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:06 AM

Why is jamal idris never selected? racism springs to mind!!!!! Hope I'm wrong.

What a stupid statement. Even more so looking at the current Australian backbone. Hope you're joking because you're definately wrong.

#25 Mushy

Mushy
  • Coach
  • 287 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:28 AM

So a mid season international in Australia's capital with a sell out crowd in World Cup year...

Sounds terribly positive to me, although the amusing negativity on here made me giggle over my cornflakes this morning.

Oz to win by 10 I reckon and a great game in the offing. I love Rugby League!

#26 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

Well it seems to me that I am actually incorrect if indeed there is a sell out.

Me, I couldn't give a hoot who won. i hope they beat the hell out of each other and weaken the two nations.

While aiming to win, the main international prize is at the end of the year and I think that this is reflected in the NZ lineup and the drop outs due to injury. 

Oz by 18+ still and Cameron Smith to raise the trophy with as much satisfaction as he did lifting the WCC (did anyone else notice?) which is played 5 months too late.

#27 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

It takes Test Match Rugby League to places that would normally not see it, this helps build the game in those areas.
The fact that New Zealand do not have a great track record in these games does not make the game worthless.

Its the best Team in the World v the current World Champions.
Hardly a comparison with England V Wales or England V France is it?

RLIF World Rankings.
1 (1) Australia 1,303.00
2 (2) New Zealand 916.00
3 (3) England 671.00
4 (5) France 267.00
5 (6) Wales 227.00

#28 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,038 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:41 AM

Its on Premier Sport so I can't get it on cable - bummer!

According to the article in 40/20 this isn't likely to change anytime soon either.

:(

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#29 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,152 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

It takes Test Match Rugby League to places that would normally not see it, this helps build the game in those areas.
The fact that New Zealand do not have a great track record in these games does not make the game worthless.

Its the best Team in the World v the current World Champions.
Hardly a comparison with England V Wales or England V France is it?

RLIF World Rankings.
1 (1) Australia 1,303.00
2 (2) New Zealand 916.00
3 (3) England 671.00
4 (5) France 267.00
5 (6) Wales 227.00

Indeed - I find it mental that a RL 'fan' would describe any international game as worthless. 

#30 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

Indeed - I find it mental that a RL 'fan' would describe any international game as worthless.

Dave, some games do not work and can do more harm than good, not all Tests are good.
Uneven contests where the results are forgone conclusions do not do much to attract Crowds or build the game.

#31 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,152 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

Dave, some games do not work and can do more harm than good, not all Tests are good.
Uneven contests where the results are forgone conclusions do not do much to attract Crowds or build the game.

In isolation a game like you describe could be seen as a negative, but looked at as part of a long-term strategy even these kind of games can be valuable.

#32 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

In isolation a game like you describe could be seen as a negative, but looked at as part of a long-term strategy even these kind of games can be valuable.

Whats your thoughts on the Exiles series in preference to Test matches?

#33 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,152 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

Whats your thoughts on the Exiles series in preference to Test matches?

I think they can both exist rather than instead of.

England need to do whatever they can to get competitive opponents for their own development purposes.

#34 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 919 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

Why is jamal idris never selected? racism springs to mind!!!!! Hope I'm wrong.

Yes, yes! It's racism.

Obviously, as Australia never pick the likes of Thurston, Thaiday, Bird and over the years NEVER picked Civ, even though he was one of the top props in the world! Bloody Racists!!!

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#35 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 919 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

Just to add to that, the reason Idris doesnt get picked is because he is good, not great. His defence for a big guy can be shocking at times and he goes missing too often. With the wealth of quality the Aussies have in the 3/4 line, you can't pick someone like that.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#36 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:27 PM

australia by 30....

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#37 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

I have nothing against the celebration of Anzacs and the war dead. I just don't think that this game has any meaning to the representative game. A world cup later this year, S.O.O. to come very shortly. In November when the World Cup is won or lost, who will care if they won the Anzac test earlier in the year. No mid-season internationals when there are end of season internationals planned. 

If it meant anything to the RL public in Aus, they would be there in huge numbers. It doesn't, so they won't.

Don't give me celebration of the Anzacs either. This fixture was started as a poor answer to the annual Anzac day game between Essendon and Carlton.

Wow, and I genuinely thought Rugby League IN Australia was the first sport to hold any ANZAC game and games some 40+ years before the VFL even thought of it, btw, I don't follow AFL, but it's Essendon vs Collingwood.

Also, did you know that when you first stated the test would not reach 20,000, they'd already sold 24,000?

I think the last 5 ANZAC tests have sold out, Melbourne, Newcastle, SCG, Melbourne and Canberra, obviously not in that order.

One other thing to add, and I will back this up in a day or two when they come out, every time an ANZAC test is played on FTA TV in Australia, it just so happens to rate higher than every NRL, AFL game outside the finals series, and sometimes they don't even come close, the only sports to beat those ratings on FTA each year are the AFL grand final, the NRL grand final and the 3 SOO matches. Once in a while a Union or Soccer WC will be on and if Australia is going well, those ratings beat the ANZAC test.

Yep, that one of the International fixtures we don't care about, Mid week Lions tour would kill them all.

#38 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

Btw, that was a dead set rip off, I feel for the Kiwis, but once again, a few bad calls went against them, and bang, that's all the Kangaroos need.

Great first 40 though, I could watch that every week.

#39 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:53 PM

but once again, a few bad calls went against them (the opposition), and bang, that's all the Kangaroos need.

You could apply that quote to almost any test match over the last 30 years - except perhaps the last World Cup final.
People called Romans they go the house

#40 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

what was score? no trace of the match existing on the bbc rl website page!

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users