Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

19/04/13 - ANZAC Test: Australia v New Zealand (Premier Sports)

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Australia by 13 points or more (8 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

2. Australia by 7 to 12 points (6 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Australia by 1 to 6 points (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Draw (1 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

5. New Zealand by 1 to 6 points (2 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

6. New Zealand by 7 to 12 points (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. New Zealand by 13 points or more (1 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

Wow, and I genuinely thought Rugby League IN Australia was the first sport to hold any ANZAC game and games some 40+ years before the VFL even thought of it, btw, I don't follow AFL, but it's Essendon vs Collingwood.

Also, did you know that when you first stated the test would not reach 20,000, they'd already sold 24,000?

I think the last 5 ANZAC tests have sold out, Melbourne, Newcastle, SCG, Melbourne and Canberra, obviously not in that order.

One other thing to add, and I will back this up in a day or two when they come out, every time an ANZAC test is played on FTA TV in Australia, it just so happens to rate higher than every NRL, AFL game outside the finals series, and sometimes they don't even come close, the only sports to beat those ratings on FTA each year are the AFL grand final, the NRL grand final and the 3 SOO matches. Once in a while a Union or Soccer WC will be on and if Australia is going well, those ratings beat the ANZAC test.

Yep, that one of the International fixtures we don't care about, Mid week Lions tour would kill them all.

Thanks for your pedantic-ism, I did mention in the very next post that I meant Collingwood. The fact that RL played it 40 years ago is not valid to the argument. My point was that this annual series in its present format was set up following the success of the Anzac Day AFL match.

Hey look, great, sold out. Another point I conceded that perhaps I was going to be wrong. But nice of you to bring that up again. 

I have doubts that the last five have been sell outs but I will take your word as it doesn't alter my opinion. I hazard to guess that 2008 and 2009 were not sell outs after looking at Wiki.

My opinion is that this game was meaningless. What was the point of it? Will the Kiwis really be that aggrieved they lost? I doubt it. Would the Aussies? maybe a bit more than the kiwis. 2013 is the World Cup year and that is all any of the nations will care about.

#42 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:53 PM

what was score? no trace of the match existing on the bbc rl website page!

32-12 to the Aussies (6-6 at Half Time)

#43 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

My opinion is that this game was meaningless. What was the point of it? Will the Kiwis really be that aggrieved they lost? I doubt it. Would the Aussies? maybe a bit more than the kiwis. 2013 is the World Cup year and that is all any of the nations will care about.

Interesting opinion. But I'm sure the Kiwis will be aggrieved that they've lost to the Aussies again. It's probably why Stephen Kearney has come out and bemoaned the tries denied them in the first half, and why they've questioned the validity of at least one of the Aussie tries. I'm pretty sure that the Kiwis would love to have the sort of record over the Kangaroos that the Aussies have over the Kiwis, and if they did, I'm sure the Aussies would be aggreived as well. Both teams played today for both a piece of silverware (the Bill Kelly trophy) but also national pride and, being professional sportsmen, personal pride. I doubt any Kiwi likes to lose any sporting contest to the Aussies - World Cup year or not.

Edited by thirteenthman, 19 April 2013 - 04:20 PM.

#44 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 279 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:18 PM

The aussies and the kiwis played like it meant something to them

Edited by jacksy, 19 April 2013 - 04:18 PM.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

#45 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:29 PM

Thanks for your pedantic-ism, I did mention in the very next post that I meant Collingwood. The fact that RL played it 40 years ago is not valid to the argument. My point was that this annual series in its present format was set up following the success of the Anzac Day AFL match.

Hey look, great, sold out. Another point I conceded that perhaps I was going to be wrong. But nice of you to bring that up again. 

I have doubts that the last five have been sell outs but I will take your word as it doesn't alter my opinion. I hazard to guess that 2008 and 2009 were not sell outs after looking at Wiki.

Yes the SCG and Newcastle were under construction, but they still sold out.

You jumped in and said it wouldn't get 20k when the ANZAC test has not had a crowd under 20k. 

And it is not meaningless, how can it be when year after year it seems to be getting bigger and better and actually giving International RL a much needed boost? It's averaging around 30k a year and that it taking it to places such as Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Melbourne, Newcastle, Canberra just in Australia not to mention the same for NZ, who would seriously want to dump something that it crying out for even more growth?

That's the thing I like about the Kangaroos, they do take this game to the people and share it around, it seems to be working, they had 30,000 in Melbourne for the game, I hope they eventually take the game to places like Perth and Adelaide to give the game a boost.

#46 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

well as usual the the aussies cheat their way to victory, klien is a clown and the aussie game is bent three no try's in the first half against the kiwi's two dead set trys.

this ref decision of giving a no try to the video ref is wrong, wrong, wrong bth times the video ref had no option but to give no try's, but when the aussies had one he gives a try so the video ref has no option but to givethem a try.

bent bent bent.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#47 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

For the good of the game there is no way any Aussy refs should be near the Rugby World Cup.

#48 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 575 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

First 40 was brilliant. NZ went to pieces but the ref was so biased. I agree, keep the cheating gits away from the World Cup

#49 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 791 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:48 AM

Ref biased? You mean Ashley Klein?

He referreed the 2008 RLWC final - you know, the one the Aussies lost 20-34 because , as then Oz coach Ricky Stuart claimed, the ref (Klein !) was biased !!!

No, Oz won fair and square. Hopefully, the Kiwis (and England!) will be better prepared come RLWC 2013

#50 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:00 AM

He referreed the 2008 RLWC final - you know, the one the Aussies lost 20-34 because , as then Oz coach Ricky Stuart claimed, the ref (Klein !) was biased !!!

No, Oz won fair and square. Hopefully, the Kiwis (and England!) will be better prepared come RLWC 2013

I did not see the match but....
Stop it Jim, you know that Australia has been winning too much for 35 years because of corrupted Refs.

Have neutral Refs and stop the moaning... it just diminishes the game when fans that are not from either team playing whine about Refs decisions.

#51 L Bow

L Bow
  • Coach
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

Having watched the game I'd say they won fair but would not go as far as square!  I thought all three tries that were disallowed for NZ were correct but I thought the Aus Inglis try should have been chalked off.

The penalty machines Warea-Hargreave and Pritchard caused the result, the friendly refereeing of Klein decided the result.  The best example of his friendly refereeing was the disallowed try where Jason Nightingale was adjudged to have prevented Justin Hodges from either recovering the ball or making a tackle to prevent a try.  No problem with that a 50-50 call which you can have a view either way.  However the first offence was the knock by Australia so it should have been scrum to NZ 10 yards out.  Klein's major and minor incident explanation was just made up nonsense.  The knock on was as clear as daylight and should have been ruled on by the video referee in his review of the try.

#52 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,770 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

Why dont these refs realise that Australian dominance is killing RL?

#53 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

Biased or otherwise, he was ######-poor.

#54 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

I have nothing against the celebration of Anzacs and the war dead. I just don't think that this game has any meaning to the representative game. A world cup later this year, S.O.O. to come very shortly. In November when the World Cup is won or lost, who will care if they won the Anzac test earlier in the year. No mid-season internationals when there are end of season internationals planned.

If it meant anything to the RL public in Aus, they would be there in huge numbers. It doesn't, so they won't.

Don't give me celebration of the Anzacs either. This fixture was started as a poor answer to the annual Anzac day game between Essendon and Carlton.

snore troll. Begone to ignore where you belong, can't be bothered to work out what banned profile you used to have. Ta ra
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#55 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

Samoa v Tonga was a pretty good game, more of that please.

#56 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

Bit late, but only just watched the game.

Klein was bent, his mate the video ref (Ricky Stuart?) was worse. Disgusting.

The good news is that NZ will know they largely dominated and would have been up by at least two scores by half-time were it not for the officials.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#57 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:16 PM

Bit late, but only just watched the game.

Klein was bent, his mate the video ref (Ricky Stuart?) was worse. Disgusting.

The good news is that NZ will know they largely dominated and would have been up by at least two scores by half-time were it not for the officials.

A rare occasion I'll totally agree with you

The kiwi's should have been 2 scores ahead at half time and that makes it a totally different game

#58 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

Why wasn't the match played under international rules? The NRL video ref rules were in place. ie ref says whether it was a try or not, and video ref can only give a different decision if they can "prove" it.

Gus Gould and his "shoulder charge" for the Kiwi try before half-time. With his green and gold glasses on, he just sounds a annoying person with clearly no idea even what a shoulder charge is. It's not two players running the same way bumping shoulders Gus. Bless him!

#59 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:35 PM

Good point on the VR
Surely under proper rules the VR could have awarded both tried...

As for Gus and his shoulder charge I think it was more a dig at the rule, though you can never rule out an Ocker whining because they are worried about losing...

#60 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:02 AM

Just watched the game. There is no way that 13 players can beat 13 plus the referee.
The Aussies are probably the best team in the world so why do they have to stack the odds in their favour by having their own referee?
ALL internationals should have a neutral referee.
The next time I see an unbiased Australian will be the first time. Cheating bastrads.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users