Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rugby league players and coaches with degrees

Stats

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,049 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

Workington player Jason Mossop (Lee's brother) has an MSc in Finance, after which he did a PGCE and now works as a teacher.

Missed opportunity there. There's quite a few clubs that could use his services!

#22 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

Good. Keen to hear more. I thought an MBA required a graduate qualification as a pre-requisite.

Which they have.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#23 philipw

philipw
  • Coach
  • 546 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:55 PM

Keep fit BSc?

Erm no...not exactly

#24 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,049 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

I was being frivolous. Exactly what scientific content is there?

#25 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,049 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:01 PM

Which they have.

As a matter of interest, what?

#26 philipw

philipw
  • Coach
  • 546 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:14 PM

I was being frivolous. Exactly what scientific content is there?

Depends. Which definition of the word science would you like to use? ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science

http://en.wikipedia....Natural_science

http://en.wikipedia..../Social_science

And before anyone says it-I know Wikipedia isn't the best but its late and I can't be bothered to find any others :-)

#27 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:40 AM

Depends. Which definition of the word science would you like to use? ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science

http://en.wikipedia....Natural_science

http://en.wikipedia..../Social_science

And before anyone says it-I know Wikipedia isn't the best but its late and I can't be bothered to find any others :-)

Let John do his own homework!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#28 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,049 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:03 AM

Sports Science = oxymoron?

#29 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

Sports Science = oxymoron?

I wouldn't say so, just an extension of human biology, but in a heavily practical surrounding. The game today owes just about everything to sport science.

Edited by hindle xiii, 18 April 2013 - 08:08 AM.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#30 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,457 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

Johnny Woodcock, recently retired from Sheffield Eagles, is a school teacher so would need a "proper degree" for that. John Wells has an LLB from Leeds University, similarly wasn't Brian Carney studying law at one time?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#31 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,070 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

Ray prosser was a famous down-to-earth rugby union prop for Pontypool and Wales. Perhaps surprisingly, he then coached Pontypool in the glory years of the 1970's and 1980's.He was always popular and a real charcter.

There are a number of Prosserism, generally quoted by friends who came from  more sophisticated backgrounds. 

The two most famous are: -

When on tour with the British Lions: 'That's the trouble with you university types, you're always showing off by coming out with long words like ... oh, I don't know ... Marmalade and Corrugated Iron'

When a coach was suggesting a new forwards tactic: 'You can't think and shove!'

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#32 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:31 PM

I was at University at the same time as Joe Lydon - think he was studying Graphic Design, but don't know if he actully finished the course as he was becoming famous by them and rugby became more important.

Also played against a Liverpool University side containing Ralph Rimmer - answers on a postcard as to his degree!?!? (It was a 92 - 0 loss as well!)

#33 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

From the NRL and maybe not what you're looking for but Corey Payne has a Master of Commerce degree

Does the SL have anything like the NRL as far as getting players in education? I know the NRL has a Academic Team of the Year they do each year. From an old article

"the Broncos are leading the way in the education stakes. A whopping 17 players from their 25-strong Toyota Cup (under-20s) squad are studying at university - far ahead of the competition’s average of 23 per cent and the NRL mean (15 per cent)."

84 per cent of NRL players have completed or are currently engaged in further education or workplace training;

60 per cent of NRL and Toyota Cup players currently attending university are the first in their families to do so;

68 NRL players (15%) are enrolled or have completed a University Degree; a further 109 Toyota Cup players (23%) are enrolled in a University Degree;

264 NRL players (58%) are enrolled or have completed a Vocational Education Training (Certificate II to Diploma); another 146 Toyota Cup players (29%) are also enrolled or have completed a VET program;

52 NRL players (11%) have completed at least two years of a trade apprenticeship; while 68 per cent Toyota Cup players (15%) are currently working as an apprentice;

More than 345 education grants have been provided by the NRL-RLPA for NRL and Toyota Cup players in 2012;

25 per cent of Indigenous players in the Toyota Cup are attending university;

This year’s inaugural Under 20s State of Origin teams included eight players studying at university, five doing apprenticeships and another 16 players involved in studies ranging from Certificate 2 to Diploma level.

17 members of the Brisbane Broncos’ Toyota Cup squad are studying at university.

http://nrl.com

http://media.uow.edu.../UOW130899.html

#34 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

Who needs a degree when you can sign up to the Herbalife pyramid scheme instead?

Posted Image

#35 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

Who needs a degree when you can sign up to the Herbalife pyramid scheme instead?

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#36 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

Ray French studied at Loughborough University and then did a teaching course.
Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#37 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,049 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

I wouldn't say so, just an extension of human biology, but in a heavily practical surrounding. The game today owes just about everything to sport science.

You mean they study farces, shambles, disgraces and stitch-ups? :lol:  

#38 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,081 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

Betts may have something if I recall correctly.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#39 faz'_nose

faz'_nose
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:09 AM

Phil Clarke, I believe, has a degree in...Sports Science.

#40 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,864 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:04 AM

Does Dr Brian Noble count?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Stats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users