Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Calder, it is time?

• Please log in to reply
280 replies to this topic

#1 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:18 AM

Not aiming to wind people up here, but the original superleague proposed a Calder team.
I'm starting to think this is a good option. No mergers, cas fev and Wakefield I a competitive championship, but all three owning the Calder team in superleague.

My reasons are that cas have traditionally been the best supported of the 3, though they are struggling at the minute, Wakefield is the city club, has the stadium but a smaller share of fans, and fev has the youth system, is doing some great stuff off the field, but is a tiny place.

If we want superleague to be a strong European competition, wouldn't pooling those resources create a strong club, with the potential for 15k fans each week? A bigger catchment area, without destroying the rivalries of cas fev and Wakefield.
Surely working together is better for the game than fighting it out and destroying each other in the process? Keep the tradition, but unite for a strong future? One capable if winning titles?

#2 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:20 AM

Should have happened when it was first proposed. Would it be run by the RFL/ SLE?

#3 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:31 AM

I would propose an ownership split 4 ways, cas fev Wakefield and sle, with the sle only filling the function when in dispute resolution. Independant CEO and hopefully the best talent of all teams being fed upwards, so the fans see their players in the superleague

#4 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,942 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:59 AM

Not aiming to wind people up here, but the original superleague proposed a Calder team.
I'm starting to think this is a good option. No mergers, cas fev and Wakefield I a competitive championship, but all three owning the Calder team in superleague.
My reasons are that cas have traditionally been the best supported of the 3, though they are struggling at the minute, Wakefield is the city club, has the stadium but a smaller share of fans, and fev has the youth system, is doing some great stuff off the field, but is a tiny place.
If we want superleague to be a strong European competition, wouldn't pooling those resources create a strong club, with the potential for 15k fans each week? A bigger catchment area, without destroying the rivalries of cas fev and Wakefield.
Surely working together is better for the game than fighting it out and destroying each other in the process? Keep the tradition, but unite for a strong future? One capable if winning titles?

Wakefieldmhas the stadium??
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#5 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:02 AM

Cas fev and Wakefield in a competitive championship, but all three owning the Calder team in superleague.

How does that work?

You want as may fans as possible to gravitate to the SL club yet you retain every reason for them to continue support their own club. On the other hand you place the three clubs in a championship they'll never get out of so you hamper both ends of the deal you propose. Mergers are dead but this idea was never alive. You indicate there's not enough resources for three clubs in the Calder area then propose a fourth? Who are people supposed to support? A dying traditional club or a Superleague club held back by the retention of tradition?

Wakefields is the city the crowds are on the up and an attractive ground is on the way. I'd guess RFL/SLE will hope this club rises to dominate the area without any contrivances.....

#6 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,865 posts

Should have happened when it was first proposed. Would it be run by the RFL/ SLE?

too many vested interests

too many people who get more out of the divisions they have imposed upon themselves rather than what unites them

ingrained parochialism

a strong reactionary culture

a pride in past achievements that it's percieved will be lost

an enjoyment of what they have now and it's percieved certainties

an automatic objection to anything put forward by thegoverning  body

money

the immensity of the challenge even supposing there was sufficient goodwill

the likely re emergence of the 'tears ofthe calder' factor

being asked to take a massive leap of faith: identification with one's club is extremely strong.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#7 Forever Trinity

Forever Trinity
  • Coach
  • 634 posts

Not another thread zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

#8 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:06 AM

I would propose an ownership split 4 ways, cas fev Wakefield and sle, with the sle only filling the function when in dispute resolution. Independant CEO and hopefully the best talent of all teams being fed upwards, so the fans see their players in the superleague

Unless one club draws all the fans sponsors and has the money to attract the local talent, they'll still go to Hull, Leeds, Saints, Warrington or wherever.

Splitting resources 4 ways instead of three will just further deplete these clubs. Put some figures on the likely crowds for your idea without assuming fans will watch two of the four clubs. Why would they??

#9 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:07 AM

Not another thread zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Don't bother posting in it then.

Simple

#10 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,865 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:08 AM

Unless one club draws all the fans sponsors and has the money to attract the local talent, they'll still go to Hull, Leeds, Saints, Warrington or wherever.

Splitting resources 4 ways instead of three will just further deplete these clubs. Put some figures on the likely crowds for your idea without assuming fans will watch two of the four clubs. Why would they??

not just crowds but sponsors

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#11 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:10 AM

So you can't support two clubs who will in all likelihood never play each other?

As you said, Wakefield may rise to dominance, but how big a club can they be?

As I said, I'm not aiming to wind people up, I don't support any if the teams, I'm just asking the question. From my perspective, it benefits the game more to have a presence from the area in the top flight, but I am questioning whether any of the three are able to rival Catalans for example, who are in a position to grow and grow, even with the inclusion of Toulouse, they have a broad base for players and support. Fans from ffr13 clubs also go along to watch them, this is the way I'm looking at it. I'm merely posing the question of whether it would be the answer in the area

#12 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:25 AM

So you can't support two clubs who will in all likelihood never play each other?

You can but many people's wallets can't support two clubs.

When you watch two clubs (I watch Leeds and Hunslet) you only really get excited about one.

Your asking thousands of people to behave in a way they don't behave. IMHO the majority of fans have an affinity for one club and can only afford to watch one club.

The numbers won't stack up.

What stacks up is the rising numbers watching Wakefield, and the proposed new stadium that could get them to 10,000 crowds and more.

Had Mr. Nahaboo decided to back that with his money it would be the perfect solution.

But even the money men go with their hearts and I can't see many people's hearts being in your proposal.

I'd guess you'd end with three championship clubs on 900 crowds and a loss making SL club on 5,000 at best.

All the best juniors still leaving to Leeds, Hull, Wire, Wigan and Saints.

Edited by The Parksider, 18 April 2013 - 06:26 AM.

#13 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:50 AM

So what future does everyone else see? Is there another solution which benefits the game?

I agree that the three existing teams would eventually fall in support with a superleague team being the glory club, it's what happened with wears tigers and the dragons.

It's very similar here in nz with super rugby, but from what I can see, it's really benefitted the union lot here, granted its a different thing with different politics, but the blues for example are drawing good crowds, they play in a much more exciting comp than the nz one.

#14 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,942 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:59 AM

Can you please explain the "Wakefield has the stadium" comment?

Post a pic if possible

Thanks
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#15 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:08 AM

Without wanting to start an argument, from what I can gather, the cas stadium has gone, that's why ferris resigned, Wakefield seem to be the most vibrant f the clubs at the minute, it looks likely their stadium will go ahead.

The fact is irrelevant, I was posing the question of the most positive outcome for the game, but much of the feedback seems to indicate it's not wanted. I can't see another way for the game to prosper at the top level in the area. So, at best it seems many of the posters here are content to merely survive.

I suppose if that is the case, which is the most attractive proposition, Toulouse or cas? Or Wakefield? Superleague is surely a competition aimed at growth and commercial prosperity is it not?

Does this open up the further question if whether some big decisions need to be made at the next round of licensing?

#16 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,942 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:16 AM

Why Toulouse?

What can they offer that "Calder" can't?

FYI at thee nd of the Widnes game 12 of the 13 on the pitch were Cas academy players

Posted Image

#17 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,115 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:16 AM

Calder must be a Wakefield stand alone venture - why?  Simple, it'sthe only one of the three actally on the Calder. Cas is on the Aire, adn Fev is on the railway. ;)

Seriously, if a neutral site for a stadium could be found and if the fans of both clubs could agree I could see a Cas/Fev club having a chance.  Sykehouse United?

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#18 RoytonRoughyed

RoytonRoughyed
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:26 AM

People wont have it though. A few club mergers would be best for Rugby League in the country. The fans wont have it though.

Calder Team and a Greater Manchester Team would be my calls but im in a minority.

#19 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:29 AM

Calder must be a Wakefield stand alone venture - why?  Simple, it'sthe only one of the three actally on the Calder. Cas is on the Aire, adn Fev is on the railway. ;)
Seriously, if a neutral site for a stadium could be found and if the fans of both clubs could agree I could see a Cas/Fev club having a chance.  Sykehouse United?

You've mellowed and matured.

I'd call such a club "Pontefract"!!!!

Here's the wishful thinking 7,000 Cas fans + 5,000 Fev fans = 12,000 self sufficient crowds, hottest area for Junior talent the club can then afford to keep = on field success......more growth....

Trojan supports merger shock horror probe......

GNIDR here's the positive thinking you want.

#20 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,115 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:35 AM

You've mellowed and matured.

I'd call such a club "Pontefract"!!!!

Here's the wishful thinking 7,000 Cas fans + 5,000 Fev fans = 12,000 self sufficient crowds, hottest area for Junior talent the club can then afford to keep = on field success......more growth....

Trojan supports merger shock horror probe......

GNIDR here's the positive thinking you want.

There are a couple of very big "ifs" in there. Personally I can't see it happening. Especially if Cas nick our coach and the bitterness is renewed . Cas would have to get rid of Chase too!

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users