Calder, it is time?

• Please log in to reply
280 replies to this topic

#201 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,034 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

The subject bores me because the issue was put to bed around 18 years ago.

It is however a subject that naturally, I care very deeply about.

It obviously wasn't put to bed 18 years ago, if it had been this thread wouldn't exist.

Do you believe that your area of Yorkshire can support 3 SL clubs. If you do can you explain to me how?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#202 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:24 PM

It obviously wasn't put to bed 18 years ago, if it had been this thread wouldn't exist.

Do you believe that your area of Yorkshire can support 3 SL clubs. If you do can you explain to me how?

It was put to bed, just because the likes of you want to discuss it doesn't mean it is on anyone's agenda. There is a better chance of 3 clubs competing than London continuing on their pittance of a crowd or Huddersfield when Ken Davey is no longer involved.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#203 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,034 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

It was put to bed, just because the likes of you want to discuss it doesn't mean it is on anyone's agenda. There is a better chance of 3 clubs competing than London continuing on their pittance of a crowd or Huddersfield when Ken Davey is no longer involved.

But that's the point there isn't.

It isn't about how other clubs are failing, that is a pure red herring, it's about can that area support 3, 2 or 1 SL clubs. 

Can it or can't it, I don't give a flying what other teams are doing, that's a different discussion. Tell me how an area with the demographic of the 'Calder' area can support 3 SL clubs?

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#204 Ashcroft

Ashcroft
  • Players
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:47 PM

There is more to this debate than Super League membership. On one level, I don't care which league Featherstone Rovers compete in. But as long as there is a Featherstone Rovers team based in Featherstone, I will support it. Calder, I have no interest in. I don't think I am alone in these views.    

#205 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:48 PM

It isn't about how other clubs are failing, that is a pure red herring, it's about can that area support 3, 2 or 1 SL clubs. 

Can it or can't it, I don't give a flying what other teams are doing, that's a different discussion. Tell me how an area with the demographic of the 'Calder' area can support 3 SL clubs?

But it is the point, why are you obsessed with my area when there is so much more issues in the game? If you want an answer then I would say I don't know but why is it such a crime to try it? If it fails then maybe fans might come round to your way of thinking (but not me).
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#206 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,631 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:48 PM

it doesn't mean it isn't on anyone's agenda either hence an eleven page thread.

People can dscuss any topic they like wirthin the rules.

It's perfectly valid, many would say a good thing that people are interested in all aspect of the game, its future its past, its rights and wrongs. It's everybody's business.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#207 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,056 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:03 PM

BUt if P&R comes back perhaps one of the three Wakefield Met clubs (or more) would be relegated.  And thus have the chance to regroup and challenge again for access to the top flight.  As it stands at the moment for Cas - it's either ###### or bust, there's no way out for them. With P&R there would be. Just to clarify I also regard myself as a progressive Rugby League fan - and I regard the abandoning of P&R as a retrograde step.

Edited by Trojan, 21 April 2013 - 10:05 PM.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#208 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,034 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:11 PM

BUt if P&R comes back perhaps one of the three Wakefield Met clubs (or more) would be relegated.  And thus have the chance to regroup and challenge again for access to the top flight.  As it stands at the moment for Cas - it's either ###### or bust, there's no way out for them. With P&R there would be. Just to clarify I also regard myself as a progressive Rugby League fan - and I regard the abandoning of P&R as a retrograde step.

how many times, P&R is a none starter.

It didn't work when everyone was part time, it was even worse with full time and part time. It never worked and it will never work as long as the game runs on a shoestring.

No money, no P&R.

You really do struggle with the concept of the world after 1973 don't you.

#209 Ackydave

Ackydave
  • Coach
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:42 PM

how many times, P&R is a none starter.

It didn't work when everyone was part time, it was even worse with full time and part time. It never worked and it will never work as long as the game runs on a shoestring.

No money, no P&R.

You really do struggle with the concept of the world after 1973 don't you.

And you really do struggle with the concept of sport and supporter allegiances.

#210 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:45 PM

There is desire for a merged Calder side from very many people in this thread or have you not been reading? That they are generally not from Calder is irrelevant don't you think? The sport of rugby league is bigger than the Calder region.

Can you not read!

I said no one from any of the three clubs involved.

#211 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 293 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:05 AM

I suppose going back to my point is, well, potential.
I tend to look at things from a business perspective, I have no ties to any club in the uk. As someone pointed out, London had a huge catchment area but are not as well supported as say cas, but given the resources, as for instance clubs were given incentives to merge, how big could they be?
We must remember that the Catalans are essentially a merged, merged team. They did so as it enabled them to put in the strongest bid fr superleague entry.
Wests tigers have balms in as the dominant partner, and st George Illawarra has st George. People still watch wears play in the nsw cup, and the average age of the tigers fans got younger.
The question posed is what's best for te game, and there are differing views.
If it was cas v Wakefield in a competition outside superleague, I imagine it would still draw a crowd, if feisal nahaboo was offered superleague tomorrow provided he financially backed it, would he? I tend to think so
I just wonder, no I actually think that for the game to really prosper Into the competition it aimed to be, we need to look at where we want to be and act, in saying that, I think we can preserve the history and move to the future, it must be better than 3 clubs strangling each other in a pitfight, or am I hopelessly optimistic on this one?

#212 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 293 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:06 AM

Apologies for the autocorrect

#213 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 293 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:11 AM

Also, really like the debate guys!

#214 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,939 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:23 AM

None of this changes the facts of life. There is just not the money, the players, the support, the facilities, the sponsors etc to support more than one SL club in the Wakefordstone area.

The current situation, where one SL wanabee club is flexing it's muscles in a bid to join the big boys, is good for that club and it's loyal fans and will no doubt spur the other two on.

However, such family squabbling will do no club any good in the long term and will sentence all three to continue as SLs perpetual under achievers.

Ok, so the clubs won't merge of their own volition. But in the end, one will become dominant, the 'bettsr dead than red ' brigade will be extinct and there will be just one SL club in the area. And that club could be a really competitive one, a winner, something the fans have deserved for a long long time.

Meanwhile, a lot of people will have lost a lot of money in a pointless family squabble. The enemy is at the gates, but the embattled occupants still fight amongst themselves.

In the end, it's not the RFL, it's not SL, it's not the BODs, it's not even the fans that will decide the outcome. It is inevitable

Edited by JohnM, 22 April 2013 - 05:25 AM.

#215 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,991 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:50 AM

Who says that the new club - now able to offer Chase, Clark, Shenton and Aiton a bright future and much less reason to jump ship - attracts only 5K?

Even accounting for the obvious difficult birth, the combined commercial opportunities would help plug any initial losses.

It's not rocket science Parky. 3 times the latent fanbase, 3 times the commercial opportunity, 1/3 of ground maintenance costs and player wage bills etc. etc.

Please get real Keeny.

This "Calder" club cannot happen until 2015 by which time Chase and Clark will be gone.

By 2015 2,500 Fev fans will be lining up for Superleague at last. Do you really think they will back Calder under those circumstances. Again get real. Let's debate rugby League not fantasy Rugby league.

Mr. Glover is the leading light at Wakefield and he must be looking forward to putting well over the current 8,000 into Newmarket and kicking on from there.

Do you want to write to him and ask him if he's going to abandon that and set up a Calder club there?? Shall I write and ask??

What do you think 8,000 Wakefield Trinity fans would say if told 2015 will be Calder United??

With the shaky prospect of whether this will work or not which big name players will the club sign with whose money??

Or will players decide there's a more secure salary and future going to Hull and Leeds as ussual. How is a club that many locals will have a massive animosity to be attractive to the next Darryl Clark??

When you intimate that people are sympathetic to the idea on this thread, how many exactly and out of those who will go??

you say "The combined commercial opportunities would help plug any initial losses".

On what evidence? Surely the main sponsors of all three clubs are fans of those clubs. Have you checked if they are for a Calder United because I bet they are not.

You are a very naughty boy pitching for a Calder United yet telling us all is OK in Hull, Rovers just need to work out how to get 15,000 crowds.

#216 Cake Tiger

Cake Tiger
  • Coach
  • 721 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:00 AM

A little message for all these pro-merger people from outside the area (it's certainly not called Calder)

#217 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,939 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:11 AM

Not a chance. Someone has to speak up for the good of the game as a whole in wakefordstone and judging by some of the contributions on here it may not be some of the natives

#218 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,920 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:16 AM

Steady thi sen..... there are aspect of your musings this morning I'm finding myself agreeing with..... I think!!!! :lol:
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#219 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,939 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:42 AM

Nooooooooo! That's no fun!!

#220 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:00 AM

Please get real Keeny.This "Calder" club cannot happen until 2015 by which time Chase and Clark will be gone.By 2015 2,500 Fev fans will be lining up for Superleague at last. Do you really think they will back Calder under those circumstances. Again get real. Let's debate rugby League not fantasy Rugby league.Mr. Glover is the leading light at Wakefield and he must be looking forward to putting well over the current 8,000 into Newmarket and kicking on from there.Do you want to write to him and ask him if he's going to abandon that and set up a Calder club there?? Shall I write and ask??What do you think 8,000 Wakefield Trinity fans would say if told 2015 will be Calder United??With the shaky prospect of whether this will work or not which big name players will the club sign with whose money??Or will players decide there's a more secure salary and future going to Hull and Leeds as ussual. How is a club that many locals will have a massive animosity to be attractive to the next Darryl Clark??When you intimate that people are sympathetic to the idea on this thread, how many exactly and out of those who will go??you say "The combined commercial opportunities would help plug any initial losses".On what evidence? Surely the main sponsors of all three clubs are fans of those clubs. Have you checked if they are for a Calder United because I bet they are not.You are a very naughty boy pitching for a Calder United yet telling us all is OK in Hull, Rovers just need to work out how to get 15,000 crowds.

Alle 'bloody' luia. Well said Parky. How the hell is it all going to be financed when nobody but the dreamers on here think its a good idea? Huddersfield, Bradford and Fax are playing to a similar aggregate audience so we might as well throw them into the mix as well. I'm sure we'll find replacements for Ken Davy and the chap at the Bulls whose name escapes me.

If the predicted changes to the game's structure do come to pass then all three Calder clubs may well be playing and flourishing in SL sooner than some people think. Can't wait. And before the usual suspect rears his head this morning... yes I do prefer Championship style RL to SL and probably always will as irrelevant as that may be.

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 22 April 2013 - 08:10 AM.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users