Calder, it is time?

• Please log in to reply
280 replies to this topic

#41 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,222 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

support and interest in sports clubs soccer especially goes beyond the boundaries of where they play. Leeds United are a major example. In essence they are West Yorkshire's club and draw support and sponsorship from there and well beyond.

For clubs like Featherstone to increase their attendances significantly they need to attract interest from well beyond their immedeiate vicinities and I don't mean the villages up the road: a sort of microcosm of the Green Bay Packers. This would be a major task even if the club attempted to address it-and that's no disrespect to their excellent commercial department and would be or would have to be a major turnaround in the club's ethos

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#42 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,313 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:36 PM

Wakefield don't need mergers ATM, and TBF if they can generate some real success on the field they could be back to the sixties where they were attracting fans from places like Cudworth, Brierley, Ryhill, Mapplewell and Barugh Green etc - in other words Barnsley.

Mergers need to be handled very carefully. Top down mergers "we're having a merger you can either like it or lump it" won't work. Ask the regional Wales RU sides.  They are losing players wholesale to London and France because their structures are not attracting the crowds to support their merged clubs.  If mergers are first on the agenda, perhaps consulting the fans of the clubs to be merged could be the second item and not shoved somehwhere below AOB!

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#43 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:44 PM

Calder must be a Wakefield stand alone venture - why?  Simple, it'sthe only one of the three actally on the Calder. Cas is on the Aire, adn Fev is on the railway. ;)

Seriously, if a neutral site for a stadium could be found and if the fans of both clubs could agree I could see a Cas/Fev club having a chance.  Sykehouse United?

Sykehouse belongs to Moorends :)

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#44 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:14 PM

What's the point of merging the teams. It would just upset people, and if one team in the WMDC area is the sensible option, it's going to happen anyway. Cas are almost certain to be axed from SL, and Fev will never get promoted. Wakefield are te only club in the area that has a SL future (and it looks to be a bright one too). Thus a merger is unnecessary.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#45 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,288 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

Is it time? was the original question, Give it time is the answer. Eventually there will be one team at the top level from that area. Once they emerge the others can settle for being what they are.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#46 red dwarf

red dwarf
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:42 PM

Is it time? was the original question, Give it time is the answer. Eventually there will be one team at the top level from that area. Once they emerge the others can settle for being what they are.

Which is ?

#47 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 507 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

Yes...

#48 Cake Tiger

Cake Tiger
  • Coach
  • 734 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:03 PM

No-one would watch Calder - they would become the London Broncos of the north and end up being hated by fans of other clubs.

It seems people who propose Calder are almost always not a fan of one of the clubs involved.

#49 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,288 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:08 PM

Which is ?

Whoever.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#50 red dwarf

red dwarf
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:12 PM

Whoever.

No it was the other 2 I was asking about , What will they become ?

#51 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,288 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:15 PM

No-one would watch Calder - they would become the London Broncos of the north and end up being hated by fans of other clubs.

It seems people who propose Calder are almost always not a fan of one of the clubs involved.

They don't have to be called Calder, they could be Pontefract, Hemsworth or Normanton or maybe one of another three towns in the area, but eventually on team will dominate the area. Economics will dictate who it is, the name is totally irrelevant.

#52 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,288 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:18 PM

Whatever they decide their resources will support (resources isn't just cash).

#53 red dwarf

red dwarf
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:20 PM

Whatever they decide their resources will support (resources isn't just cash).

It wouldn't be , they wont have much of that

#54 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:21 PM

What's the point of merging the teams. It would just upset people, and if one team in the WMDC area is the sensible option, it's going to happen anyway. Cas are almost certain to be axed from SL, and Fev will never get promoted. Wakefield are te only club in the area that has a SL future (and it looks to be a bright one too). Thus a merger is unnecessary.

Are you Blake Solly?

Cummins Out.

#55 red dwarf

red dwarf
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:25 PM

Why is it bright ? still no stadium , attendances shored up on the back of cheap tickets and still well outside the top places

#56 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,288 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:25 PM

It wouldn't be , they wont have much of that

Precisely,the area cannot financially support 3  or 2 SL clubs, nor can it support  it with youth player recruitment, Local investment etc. etc.

An don't go on about Wigan, Saints, Warrington etc. all live on each others door step, the demographics as has been posted endlessley are completely different.

#57 Cake Tiger

Cake Tiger
  • Coach
  • 734 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:17 AM

They don't have to be called Calder, they could be Pontefract, Hemsworth or Normanton or maybe one of another three towns in the area, but eventually on team will dominate the area. Economics will dictate who it is, the name is totally irrelevant.

I agree it won't matter what they're called. No-one will watch an invented team.

#58 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,496 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:13 AM

They will become championship clubs in the shadow of a Superleague club.

Like Leigh near Wigan or Hunslet near Leeds, they will become old mens clubs, where the local kids who want to go watch Rugby league will largely gravitate to the Superleague club, and where the kids when they find they are good at the game may be happy to be picked up by the Superleague clubs academy.

Hope that helps.

#59 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,313 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:17 AM

They will become championship clubs in the shadow of a Superleague club.

Like Leigh near Wigan or Hunslet near Leeds, they will become old mens clubs, where the local kids who want to go watch Rugby league will largely gravitate to the Superleague club, and where the kids when they find they are good at the game may be happy to be picked up by the Superleague clubs academy.

Hope that helps.

And that's where we differ over the future of the game. My objection to an elite SL with no access except by franchise has absolutely nothing to do with my being a Fev supporter and everything to do with thinking it will kill the game long term.  A dynamic league with P&R is essential mergers or not.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#60 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,615 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

Dynamic yes. you can see that in action as ( using it as the best example of these dynamics ) Fev, Cas and Wakefield squander resources, Cnut-like,  in a meaningless old-school fight to the dearth.

P and R:  :wacko:   :(  :blink:    the  argument for restoring this was lost ages ago.

no franchises yet, of course.  Licencing lays down the conditions that will allow  clubs to enter  SL. However, the market in Wakefordstone will only support one.

Edited by JohnM, 19 April 2013 - 11:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users