Calder, it is time?

• Please log in to reply
280 replies to this topic

#61 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

They don't have to be called Calder, they could be Pontefract, Hemsworth or Normanton...

Normanton gets the gig (based on 7-mile radii)

calder001_zps6438a214.jpg

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#62 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,991 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

Normanton gets the gig (based on 7-mile radii)

calder001_zps6438a214.jpg

Brilliant post.

#63 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,939 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

yeah but no butyeah but no. the way to get fans of all three team to continue their support is to have the only inclusive name.  No , not Canchesterford  but Wakefordstone

#64 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,991 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:12 PM

And that's where we differ over the future of the game. My objection to an elite SL with no access except by franchise has absolutely nothing to do with my being a Fev supporter and everything to do with thinking it will kill the game long term.

I don't understand how you believe "it will kill the game".

I am Leeds through and through and have supported all three clubs and know these clubs inside out.

Superleague and it's closed door policy signalled the end for Bramley early on and the door was shut in the face of Hunslet in 1999. They are now kept alive as an "A" team.

But today the whole of Leeds is behind Leeds, the old rivalries are gone, we enjoy big crowds at Headingley, the Superleague professionals sell the shirts and inspire the kids and the junior game has never been so strong and the amateur game similar.

Stanningley are a vibrant club and bigger than Bramley were.
Hunslet Warriors are a big club and will maintain the Hunslet tradition

Seriously Tro......

The change in the game in Leeds, the loss of the old rivalries, the coming together of all resources in one club...

The six superleague grand finals.......

It's not killed the game round here, you need to explain what you mean.

#65 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

If Wakefield continue to hold their own up to the new stadium being built there wil definately be a honeymoon period where they will average 10,0000 imo its keeping them that is important.Its true abut Hunslet becoming a Leeds rl area ,I worked with a lad before I finished and he was in his late 40s born and bred in Hunslet him and all his mates go in the Tommy Wass all die hard Leeds fans they even argue with the older Parksider's "us and them up there/down there"Just like we used to do.I never asked him how he got into Leeds rhinos

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#66 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,245 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

They will become championship clubs in the shadow of a Superleague club.

Like Leigh near Wigan or Hunslet near Leeds, they will become old mens clubs, where the local kids who want to go watch Rugby league will largely gravitate to the Superleague club, and where the kids when they find they are good at the game may be happy to be picked up by the Superleague clubs academy.

Hope that helps.

And this is your idea of a dynamic future for the game, having two decent sized clubs ending up like Hunslet. No it dosn't help. It's backward regressive SL lovers B***S##t

#67 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,245 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

I am Leeds through and through and have supported all three clubs and know these clubs inside out.

Superleague and it's closed door policy signalled the end for Bramley early on and the door was shut in the face of Hunslet in 1999. They are now kept alive as an "A" team.

But today the whole of Leeds is behind Leeds, the old rivalries are gone, we enjoy big crowds at Headingley, the Superleague professionals sell the shirts and inspire the kids and the junior game has never been so strong and the amateur game similar.

Seriously Tro......

The change in the game in Leeds, the loss of the old rivalries, the coming together of all resources in one club...

As you very well know there are no more RL fans in Leeds today than there were when there were 3 independent functioning clubs. They are merely all attending Headingley. If the Leeds renaissance was so good, then , given the increase in support since the advent of SL overall, Headingley should be sold out for every game.

I don;t think Leed averaging 15,000 is as good as Leeds averaging 10,000 in the North and a strong vibrant Hunslet averaging 10,000 in South Leeds.

Its too late for Leeds. Hunslet are gone, What you want to do is to condemn the calder are and the Hull area to repeat the mistakes of Leeds and end up with a moderate sized club with less fans than the original two or three clubs, diminishing the spectator base and strongly diluting the diversity and footprint of the game.

This mega club strategy that all the sychophants of the 10 team SL wish for is, in fact, a backward regressive, defeatist policy which will very definitely seriously wound RL iof it comes to pass.

#68 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,292 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

As you very well know there are no more RL fans in Leeds today than there were when there were 3 independent functioning clubs. They are merely all attending Headingley. If the Leeds renaissance was so good, then , given the increase in support since the advent of SL overall, Headingley should be sold out for every game.

I don;t think Leed averaging 15,000 is as good as Leeds averaging 10,000 in the North and a strong vibrant Hunslet averaging 10,000 in South Leeds.

Its too late for Leeds. Hunslet are gone, What you want to do is to condemn the calder are and the Hull area to repeat the mistakes of Leeds and end up with a moderate sized club with less fans than the original two or three clubs, diminishing the spectator base and strongly diluting the diversity and footprint of the game.

This mega club strategy that all the sychophants of the 10 team SL wish for is, in fact, a backward regressive, defeatist policy which will very definitely seriously wound RL iof it comes to pass.

Maybe, but these supporters from different eras are actually different people, not simply numbers.

The kids go and watch the SL clubs because they have a vibrant image whereas old gimmers (like me) still watch Championship teams where only a very few yougsters can now be seen. The spectator base will reinforce SL and diminish the rest. Arguing that it shouldn't be so is really a waste of energy.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#69 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,939 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

Dreamer.jpg

#70 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,245 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

Dreamer.jpg

Sums up the " a Diminished tean team league is the rosy future brigade" perfectly.

#71 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,939 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

something for everyone, eh?  :)

except for the evidence-based thinkers  almost us.

StatusQuo99EPA_468x509.jpg

#72 red dwarf

red dwarf
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:19 PM

Seriously Tro......

Alive ?

#73 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:55 PM

I agree it won't matter what they're called. No-one will watch an invented team.

All teams are invented, unless you think that Wakefield Trinity, Castleford and Featherstone Rovers have been with us since the Earth began spinning on its axis.

Creating Calder Chiefs (or whoever) in 2013 would be no more or less valid than creating those 3 clubs 100+ years ago. Times change, all things must pass and those clubs had a good run at it in a different climate. It's now a new era and time for a new way of thinking.

#74 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:11 PM

It would certainly be beneficial for the power balance of Super League if 1 of the other historic Leeds sides had stuck around at the top end and clipped Leeds' wings a little but this is really a very defeatist way of thinking. The game surely always had ambitions of 20K fans through the turnstiles and this can only happen with at most 4 SL sides in West Yorks, all well spaced out. A merged Calder team enjoying the onfield success (and none of the in-built inferiority) it's conjoined approach could bring would certainly chip away at Leeds' fan base and ultimately hopefully result in burgeoning young fanbases for both sides, gripped by the new, well-balanced rivalries in the area and thus swelling the RL ranks across the board. For this reason I'd like to see a merged Huddersfield/Halifax side also. This would give us 4 very powerful (and probably future-proof) sides of roughly equal stature in West Yorks that could help push Super League to a national and maybe even international standing. Presently the only possible outcome is tedium and financial meltdown for the sport as Leeds barely break a sweat swatting away their pauper neighbours (save for the odd decent bit of Bradford resistance maybe every 5 years or so).

Edited by DeadShotKeen, 19 April 2013 - 09:14 PM.

#75 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,991 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:01 PM

As you very well know there are no more RL fans in Leeds today than there were when there were 3 independent functioning clubs.

Then thank heavens we don't have three clubs in Leeds sharing the 15,000 all on 5,000 each and all making a big fat mega-loss.

None of them winning anything or getting near anything, and all turning off the fans until the 5,000 becomes 4,000 and so on.

#76 red dwarf

red dwarf
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:08 PM

I like how in some weird way we have fans of SL clubs blaming Championship clubs for the inability of their SL clubs to gain and retain enough supporters to break even

It really is quite perverted

#77 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,991 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:12 PM

And this is your idea of a dynamic future for the game, having two decent sized clubs ending up like Hunslet. No it dosn't help. It's backward regressive SL lovers B***S##t

So give us your solution as regards the Calder area.

It's the biggest RL area for quality players bar Wigan and Leeds

It attracts 17,000 fans to a mixture of mediocre, losing and second rate Rugby league.

Clearly if there was a winning team there there's more fans to be had??

This area has to contribute to Superleague's success, because as we all agreed without Superleague the game would be in tatters.

So please don't just say "It's B*L*S*IT". That's not an argument.

I respectfully ask you to explain your alternative for harnessing the resources the Calder area has to the advantage of the game we all love.

It's heartbreaking for fans of the game to see the area lose it's best players, see clubs go bust, and see clubs go totally skint.

There's a concensus of opinion around the idea one strong club can make it and strengthen the game.

Your a lone voice talking from the heart and not the head, and frankly I'm fed up with you doing this.

Give us your solution to turn Calder from a negative to a positive??????

#78 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,991 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:14 PM

Alive ?

The people who now run the club say that without the dependence on Leeds the club will die.

So "alive" is accurate.

#79 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,991 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:19 PM

All teams are invented, unless you think that Wakefield Trinity, Castleford and Featherstone Rovers have been with us since the Earth began spinning on its axis.

Creating Calder Chiefs (or whoever) in 2013 would be no more or less valid than creating those 3 clubs 100+ years ago. Times change, all things must pass and those clubs had a good run at it in a different climate. It's now a new era and time for a new way of thinking.

Hunslet Excelsior and Hunslet Albion merged and eventually won all four cups as Hunslet.

Our success came from merging. It attracted the fans and it attracted the better players.

Now there's an idea Hunslet should have nothing to do with Leeds because merging is bad.

Half merging with Leeds keeps the club alive.

#80 red dwarf

red dwarf
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:19 PM

The people who now run the club say that without the dependence on Leeds the club will die.

So "alive" is accurate.

Alive in the same way a slave is free perhaps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users