Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Calder, it is time?

• Please log in to reply
280 replies to this topic

#101 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

What? In the way that Hudgell resurrecting HKR clipped Hull's wings when they were flying at 13,000 fans with a cup win and grand final appearance under their belt.

Then Pearson came along to try to clip Rovers wings by buying their best players.

How competitive have the Hull clubs been since 2007??

Equally as competitive as Catalans, Huddersfield, London, Bradford and in the last three seasons or so, St Helens. You have no argument.

#102 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

No I just wanted you to explain yourself rather than you go down the path of calling my points such as "crazy" don't go down that path please, it won't strengthen your argument.

Of course there is "always going to be a bottom club" but you don't explain what the problem is with that. I posted the other day my point here. In the NRL you have strong clubs from top to bottom and there is always going to be a bottom club there. But the bottom club there has the wherewithall to drag themselves up off the bottom. They have the fans, the money and the players.

Examples. 2003 Halifax were the bottom club but they were totally skint, more so than Castleford. They collapsed not because they came bottom but because they had financially collapsed.

2010 Les Catalans came bottom but they had good players, juniors coming through and the finances to compete. They are currently up there with the top clubs and outgunned saints on their own ground.

Last year Widnes were bottom, but only just and we will see if they will climb up this year and be that bit better. They have the money and are building bit by bit.

There's no problem with coming bottom if the league has clubs from top to bottom that can compete. If there's clubs that cannot compete financially then that's the problem.

Would you like to deal with that? What is your point about "other lesser clubs to sacrifice themselves for the inability of SL clubs to market themselves"?

The proposition is if clubs cannot financially compete in SL then they should step down a league. the proposition is that those who do may leave open the way for the SL clubs to feed off that in terms of getting a monopoly on local fans and players.

Any lack of ability is surely the lack of ability of some clubs to find the finances to compete in SL??

And financial Darwinism will produce a winner. What you want is for is for God in the shape of the RFL or SL, to intervene and kill or order hari kari on teams to ensure that whomsoever is  deemed to be the fittest shall survive.

That's not natural sporting evolution, it's unfair market  manipulation.

#103 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

I will not watch anyone else nor am I interested.

Thats me being totaly honest.

Yup. I'm with you there. I have no interest in a merged team. I'd call it quits and walk away from the sport leaving the game to those who do want a merger and go watch my old union side.
That's me being totally honest.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#104 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,916 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

Yup. I'm with you there. I have no interest in a merged team. I'd call it quits and walk away from the sport leaving the game to those who do want a merger and go watch my old union side.

Already ditched my team because of the conduct if various people associated with it: it's a morality and fairness thing
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#105 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

Are Hunslet and Leeds  unnoficially merged? as well as saying Hunslet have become the unnoficiall A team.Leeds website now gives out all the upcoming Hunslet fixtures and results

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#106 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

And financial Darwinism will produce a winner. What you want is for is for God in the shape of the RFL or SL, to intervene and kill or order hari kari on teams to ensure that whomsoever is deemed to be the fittest shall survive.

That's not natural sporting evolution, it's unfair market manipulation.

And that's the top and bottom of it.

Cummins Out.

#107 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

I think Salford, Oldham, Swinton, Rochdale and Gateshead should merge and be called 'Manchester Unity' play in red with white shorts and black socks and really annoy other clubs called Unity when the media just say 'Unity have won' and not specify which Unity.

Cummins Out.

#108 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

With respect, you and Forever Trinity are not the future consumers of rugby league. Nor am I and nor are the vast majority of those of us on this forum. The future consumers are younger, more media savvy and do not share the same affiliations, nor (in many cases) the blinkered and often antagonistic views of where the game should go next (based, usually, on nothing more than where it has been).

Whether you like it or not, rugby league owes you no favours and will continue without you. I'm sure it would like you on board but (and this is just my opinion) it should pay little mind to what you say as you are living in the past and will unwittingly destroy the game if paid more than a cursory heed.

#109 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:54 PM

With respect, you and Forever Trinity are not the future consumers of rugby league. Nor am I and nor are the vast majority of those of us on this forum. The future consumers are younger, more media savvy and do not share the same affiliations, nor (in many cases) the blinkered and often antagonistic views of where the game should go next (based, usually, on nothing more than where it has been).

Whether you like it or not, rugby league owes you no favours and will continue without you. I'm sure it would like you on board but (and this is just my opinion) it should pay little mind to what you say as you are living in the past and will unwittingly destroy the game if paid more than a cursory heed.

Yes they are, and they influence the future generations as much as social media.

To suggest otherwise is mental.

Cummins Out.

#110 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,088 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

Nailed

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#111 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,916 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:05 PM

Nailed

Seconded
Keeping it local

#112 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

Well it seems the rugby league supremacists reign surpreme.

M'off. ###### this.

Cummins Out.

#113 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:20 PM

Your opinion I neither care about or share. But as long as fev exist as an independent club I will follow them. To say people like me aren't the future or rl ignores the fact that I sincerely hope to be a purchaser of the product for at least another 20+years!
And you know the attitudes of all the youth, young adults and juniors who follow wakey/fev? Where is the link to that study?

Edited by Robin Evans, 20 April 2013 - 08:21 PM.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#114 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,083 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

Fantastic post.

#115 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,063 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

JohnM no I wouldnt watch a merged team maybe I am parochial in my ways but nothing in the game really stimulates me other than watching my team. If Wakefield are out of SL I will watch them in the Championship, if they die like they nearly did a couple of years ago I wouldnt go anywhere else but would would be lost to the game, I watch my team its in my blood I was born 100 yards from the ground I will not watch anyone else nor am I interested.

Thats me being totaly honest.

Understood. It's a long term thing, though. If, and of course it's a big IF, the three clubs joined in some way, then newer, younger fans would in my view take your place.

However, such a joining will not take place voluntarily and we'll inevitably end up with just one SL club in the area and it won.t be Feb as the critical mass of support just ain't there.

Edited by JohnM, 20 April 2013 - 08:34 PM.

#116 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,916 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

Well it seems the rugby league supremacists reign surpreme.

M'off. ###### this.

Translated as some people have a different overview to you

It isn't like you to play the victim card
Keeping it local

#117 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:41 PM

No victimhood, and I have no problem with opposing views (if I didnt talk to somebody I had a disagreement with id never speak to anyone)

This is about being told I am the sort of person whos holding the game back because of how I believe the game should be going.

Ive seen people banned for very little reason and id much rather be on the terraces watching the game than talking to the cretins that inhabit the forums.

Cummins Out.

#118 Cake Tiger

Cake Tiger
  • Coach
  • 724 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

Good luck finding those "future consumers" - what a horrible phrase borne out of the modern trend of reducing everything to number crunching, targets and management babble.

You will not find enough of these "new RL supporters" to support a brand new SL team. The same will happen if you place an artificially created team in any area where RL is already established - people have their teams, they support them. They are not interested in new teams and will not instantly switch to support a new team in the numbers needed to survive in the top flight. For some reason, it is always the Wakefield/Castleford/Featherstone area that is the subject of these nonsense merger club suggestions. They would be equally likely to fail if suggested in Hull, Halifax/Huddersfield, Widnes/St Helens - the people who live in these areas don't want them and that is why they would fail. How many more times will people keep proposing mergers before they realise this?

#119 Ackydave

Ackydave
  • Coach
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:38 AM

Good luck finding those "future consumers" - what a horrible phrase borne out of the modern trend of reducing everything to number crunching, targets and management babble.

You will not find enough of these "new RL supporters" to support a brand new SL team. The same will happen if you place an artificially created team in any area where RL is already established - people have their teams, they support them. They are not interested in new teams and will not instantly switch to support a new team in the numbers needed to survive in the top flight. For some reason, it is always the Wakefield/Castleford/Featherstone area that is the subject of these nonsense merger club suggestions. They would be equally likely to fail if suggested in Hull, Halifax/Huddersfield, Widnes/St Helens - the people who live in these areas don't want them and that is why they would fail. How many more times will people keep proposing mergers before they realise this?

Spot on! But then again i'm one of those backward looking, dinosaurs who are holding the game back (according to
the likes of L'angelo) - i just happen to go along to Fev each week with 3 generations of supporters in my car.
For god sake give it a rest.

#120 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,063 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:44 AM

..and that's good to hear. The discussion though is not really about Wakefordstone. It's must that the situation covers a number of current issues in the game.

Clearly the clubs will not merge voluntarily for all the reasons posted on here.However, in order for a club to thrive and survive in the 21St century game, you need money, players, spectators and in the area under discussion it is my view that these do not exist in enough volume to support all three teams in SL in the area. The current battle involving WAkefield, Cas, Fev is good for local fans and well done to fev for what they are doing, but none of it will change the fundamental truth.

Edited by JohnM, 21 April 2013 - 06:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users