Calder, it is time?

• Please log in to reply
280 replies to this topic

#161 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

Thanks for the ever interesting replies.

You now need to get over the hurdle of the size of the losses if the new club only attracts 5,000 and that in turn leads to the club unable to secure decent players to win matches which maakes the fans of all three clubs continue not to bother

You need to appreciate the massive risk. This could be overcome by a millionaire putting several million in to guarantee the Calder United club doesn't struggle in the early years.

Know anyone who has an affinity to Calder United and wants to take that costly risk???

Who says that the new club - now able to offer Chase, Clark, Shenton and Aiton a bright future and much less reason to jump ship - attracts only 5K?

Even accounting for the obvious difficult birth, the combined commercial opportunities would help plug any initial losses.

It's not rocket science Parky. 3 times the latent fanbase, 3 times the commercial opportunity, 1/3 of ground maintenance costs and player wage bills etc. etc.

#162 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,606 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:02 PM

Jurassic Park is a work of fiction. Fev'sdrive for Super League is not. If they do achieve Mr.. pencil's dream, then they will need the very glory hunting fans he so despiseS if they are to stay there...and that will be I think at the expense of wakie and case. So no net gain.

#163 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

Did you see the Fev v Cas and the Fev v Wigan cup games last season and that was with a championship calibre team. I think the TV audiences were very good also.

I saw Fev vs Cas. It was a great game as it was between 2 very average sides worthy of the 2nd tier slugging it out in front of a passionate crowd.

I wouldn't cross the road to watch Fev vs Wigan as it is an embarrassing mismatch.

Edited by DeadShotKeen, 21 April 2013 - 01:04 PM.

#164 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,815 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:29 PM

I saw Fev vs Cas. It was a great game as it was between 2 very average sides worthy of the 2nd tier slugging it out in front of a passionate crowd.

I wouldn't cross the road to watch Fev vs Wigan as it is an embarrassing mismatch.

It most certainly was not an embarassing mismatch. Wigan were very happy to get out of there with a win.

#165 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:29 PM

glad you have stated u didn't watch the second match because it was anything but an embarrassing mismatch. Now hull kr vs Wigan that is a embarrassing mismatch so by yor logic hull kr should give up now and send there fans to watch hull FC.

#166 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,257 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

but it wasn't was it?

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#167 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,273 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

Of course not
Most murders by far are one off events acted out under high emotional pressure of different kinds
The analogy doesn't work since watching sport, being a fan if you like is a continuous process

If we depend upon enjoyment of rugby league being passed down through the generations rather than opening up the possibilities for involvement from others not yet interested then wesredoomed. This is because not all children given the opportunity to enjoy the sport do so and numbers will diminish and the image of the rugby supporter wool inevitably become even more elderly.
So whilst I agree with your point I disagree with your analogy

The analogy was supposed to be daft,.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#168 Cake Tiger

Cake Tiger
  • Coach
  • 731 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

Calder needs to be done

No, it doesn't.

#169 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,167 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

Did you see the Fev v Cas and the Fev v Wigan cup games last season and that was with a championship calibre team. I think the TV audiences were very good also.

what were the viewing figures? Did they represent a spike in the tv audience?

the castleford game was one of the local derbies ome people crave, the Wigan game wss a classic example of 'rubbing shoulders wit the big boys' on the back of a victory in that mouth watering local derby.

What were the attendances? I'm sure the house full signs were up, the waning of attendances for the challenge cup notwithsatanding.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#170 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,167 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

The analogy was supposed to be daft,.

I take it a whoosh is in order.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#171 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,273 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:36 PM

I take it a whoosh is in order.

Probably

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#172 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,297 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:15 PM

I don't understand how you believe "it will kill the game".

I am Leeds through and through and have supported all three clubs and know these clubs inside out.

Superleague and it's closed door policy signalled the end for Bramley early on and the door was shut in the face of Hunslet in 1999. They are now kept alive as an "A" team.

But today the whole of Leeds is behind Leeds, the old rivalries are gone, we enjoy big crowds at Headingley, the Superleague professionals sell the shirts and inspire the kids and the junior game has never been so strong and the amateur game similar.

Stanningley are a vibrant club and bigger than Bramley were.
Hunslet Warriors are a big club and will maintain the Hunslet tradition

Seriously Tro......

The change in the game in Leeds, the loss of the old rivalries, the coming together of all resources in one club...

The six superleague grand finals.......

It's not killed the game round here, you need to explain what you mean.

Of course it hasn't killed Leeds the richest club by far in SL, or Wigan or Wire or Saints.  But it nearly killed Wakey, Salford and the Bulls.  BBC Breakfast this morning. What was the bulk of their soccer coverage about?  Relegation. NOT Arsenal qualifying for Europe, but Wigan, Sunderland, Stoke and QPR battling against relegation.  Without P&R the game becomes moribund. The fans of clubs at the bottom of the league have no reason to turn out for games at the end of the season. The players  feel no pressure  too.  It also allows clubs to target games they want to win - like Hull KR and Widnes over Easter.  They both beat their local rivals and then got hammered in the following game because they knew it didn't matter.  Another drawback, until every game is competitive we'll never build an international team to compete with - never mind beat - the Aussies in a series.

Edited by Trojan, 21 April 2013 - 05:22 PM.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#173 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,131 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

my god, just look at the state of this swimming pool.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#174 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

Now you're just making a tool of yourself.

Edited by Ponterover, 21 April 2013 - 06:46 PM.

#175 WakefieldCityLoyal

WakefieldCityLoyal
  • Coach
  • 163 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

Why would Wakefield need to merge? We're a big enough City with no football team to compete and represent us we have a new stadium on the way and bags of potential. We've had 30 years of mismanagement but the last few seasons have been a massive turn in the right direction. Sir Rodney is getting things on track for the community stadium which will help us return where we once were, the best in the land.

#176 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

Having read comments from the people that matter i.e. The people who live in the area and/or support the clubs concerned, it seems to me that there is no perceived need, or desire for a merger.

Could we perhaps leave it at that and respectfully ask those poking their noses in to mind their own business?

Edited by Ponterover, 21 April 2013 - 06:18 PM.

#177 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,257 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

Having read comments from the people that matter i.e. The people who live in the area and/or support the clubs concerned, it seems to me that there is no perceived need, or desire for a merger.

Could we perhaps leave it at that and respectfully ask those poking their noses in to mind their own business?

Ooo wait while the pro licencing pro merger stazi grab hold of this post me owd mucker!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Suggesting they keep their pecker out??? :lol: cheeky!!! :lol:
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#178 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,273 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

Of course it hasn't killed Leeds the richest club by far in SL, or Wigan or Wire or Saints.  But it nearly killed Wakey, Salford and the Bulls.  BBC Breakfast this morning. What was the bulk of their soccer coverage about?  Relegation. NOT Arsenal qualifying for Europe, but Wigan, Sunderland, Stoke and QPR battling against relegation.  Without P&R the game becomes moribund. The fans of clubs at the bottom of the league have no reason to turn out for games at the end of the season. The players  feel no pressure  too.  It also allows clubs to target games they want to win - like Hull KR and Widnes over Easter.  They both beat their local rivals and then got hammered in the following game because they knew it didn't matter.  Another drawback, until every game is competitive we'll never build an international team to compete with - never mind beat - the Aussies in a series.

So why did we mange without P&R for 75% of our existence, if its so vital why did we not invent it sooner.

The reason they aren't talking about the top of the Premiership is because it is already decided, there is nothing to talk about.

Come September we'll be talking about who will and won't make the eight, just like last year and the year before.

#179 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,273 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:49 PM

Ooo wait while the pro licencing pro merger stazi grab hold of this post me owd mucker!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Suggesting they keep their pecker out??? :lol: cheeky!!! :lol:

Actually as a progressive fan of the game I couldn't care less what the three clubs do, they can fight it out. The sad thing is two out of the three will suffer badly. They won't die, they will continue, but the sad fact is that the fight to be top dog will not be pleasant.

#180 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,297 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:59 PM

So why did we mange without P&R for 75% of our existence, if its so vital why did we not invent it sooner.

The reason they aren't talking about the top of the Premiership is because it is already decided, there is nothing to talk about.

Come September we'll be talking about who will and won't make the eight, just like last year and the year before.

But we did have P&R within the same league. Clubs fixtures against teams from the "other league" improved or declined depending upon where they'd finished the previous season.  Ok you couldn't be relegated from the Rugby League, but your status within that league could alter.  One of the major reasons for the split with Union was that they definitely didn't like the competitive edge league and cup comps gave.  They preferred the more "gentlemanly" atmosphere of perpetual friendlies.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users