Sheffield

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#41 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:05 PM

Some outsiders looking in may say its fitness but I don't think it is.

Its psychological now and will get worse.  If the lads think they will get hammered in the second half then theres a good chance they will will.  Bit like Pavlovs dogs............

If we could play the games for 40 mins we would be top 5 !!

#42 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

It does seem that way?! Maybe the next guy who interviews glen from the club could ask him is opinion on this??? 21points in 10 matches wev scored in 2nd half, that's not counting today's nil points in 2nd half at Sheffield too!!

#43 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

These guys are professionals and will have spent much of their lives playing rugby league.
Going in at half time 30 nil down and coming out in the second half is one thing, but going with just a couple of points difference is another thing altogether.
It has to be fitness levels, and possibly lack of motivation.

Living life and loving every second

http://www.summerhol.com

#44 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

Next match
leave the team on the field
to talk between themselves
and then play the second half without a word
from the coach..i just dont see fitness as the problem..smart rugby and the inability to lockdown and control the game..yes but not fitness young lads who have played for a few years shouldnt be running out of steam.
With smarter rugby you dont have to run around like headless chickens...save energy.

i think its a guidence problem..something is happening at halftime..it starts just after halftime a steady shipping of points...if it was fitness come the 60 minute mark we would start shipping vast amounts of points...thats fitness.

#45 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:41 PM

It's looks psychological plus Gallgehr and Aizue only play vert short spells so put pressure on rest, but Sheffield are a top side so if we can play like this it looks like we should be good enough to stay up which has to be the main objective.

#46 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

Next match
leave the team on the field
to talk between themselves
and then play the second half without a word
from the coach..i just dont see fitness as the problem..smart rugby and the inability to lockdown and control the game..yes but not fitness young lads who have played for a few years shouldnt be running out of steam.
With smarter rugby you dont have to run around like headless chickens...save energy.

i think its a guidence problem..something is happening at halftime..it starts just after halftime a steady shipping of points...if it was fitness come the 60 minute mark we would start shipping vast amounts of points...thats fitness.

A guidance problem? They're not immigrants fresh out of a Jack Fulton lorry from France who found themselves stood on a field wondering why people were trying to tackle them - they're professional sportsmen coolie.

Living life and loving every second

http://www.summerhol.com

#47 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:09 PM

I find it baffling that a team of mainly young lads can't last 80 minutes of Rugby. These lads train at least 4 times a week and then play once a week, so surely it can't be a fitness thing. 

We played so well against Whitehaven at home and since then we've been dire. I know Sheffield are a good team (last season's grand final winners and all) but how on earth did we surrender a 16 point lead. Surely when any team is in the lead just try and play out as many sets of 6 as possible and kick the ball down field. IMO we should be using Karl Pryce's kicking power to our advantage. The opposition would have the ball, yet they would have it more or less in their own 20 rather than in our half of the field. Putting in a few 40/20 knocks the stuffing out of teams. 

What's happening during the pep talk at half-time? Is there dis-harmony within the team? I just can't understand what on earth is happening.  :mellow:

Edited by Eddie_Rombo, 20 April 2013 - 08:10 PM.

#48 leedsram

leedsram
  • Players
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

where was craven today,  is he not selected

#49 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

Leedsram , we are all aware that you are close to james craven but your tireless sniping when he is not playing is tiresome at best . i rate james highly but he has not recaptured his form since his injury and must prove himself to return . when he does he will be a valuable member of the team .at the moment something is not right with the team , that much is apparrent but you stirring it because james isnot playing is not doing any good .this team must come good at some stage but it is largely up to the players to correct the malfunction .

#50 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:08 PM

Once the half back pair is sorted and regular and perhaps the new lad will help.It will be a different side.Its also a shame we dont have an old warhorse Nick Fozzard type to protect the young uns.

#51 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

Once the half back pair is sorted and regular and perhaps the new lad will help.It will be a different side.Its also a shame we dont have an old warhorse Nick Fozzard type to protect the young uns.

We definitely need someone with a bit of experience and aggression (although the aggression channeled in the right way) to lead and protect the younger lads.

#52 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

where was craven today,  is he not selected

Maybe it's the fact that Morton is playing better at full-back than Craven is........

I agree that Craven is not the same player since his injury. 

#53 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

I agree totally and  made the same point midweek ,if only we could find a gary rose type player now it would make a world of difference because whichever way you look at it a bad side cannot lead at sheffield 16-0 at half time .

#54 ricochet

ricochet
  • Players
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:20 PM

However you look at things statistics do not lie. Our inability to trouble the scoreboard after half time is a worrying trend. Fitness should not be the problem, as a young team though short of experience we should not be short of stamina. The problem is that we are gaining a reputation in the league as a forty minute side so teams are not worried if we are ahead or "in the hunt" at half time as our track record shows we will fall away in the second half.

If we had gone in at half time 16-nil down we would have capitulated in the second half and probably conceded 50. The fact that we regularly score very few (if any) points after the break means that teams come out confident that they can turn things around so Sheffield scoring 30 unanswered points just follows the same pattern as most of our games since barrow away.

It seems to me that most of our problems are in the head so perhaps our next signing should be a sports psycologist. In the meantime  we should all head for the exits at half time and start to drown our sorrows earlier than we would do normally and contemplate the customary battle to avoid relegation.

Ricochet!

#55 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:23 AM

However you look at things statistics do not lie. Our inability to trouble the scoreboard after half time is a worrying trend. Fitness should not be the problem, as a young team though short of experience we should not be short of stamina. The problem is that we are gaining a reputation in the league as a forty minute side so teams are not worried if we are ahead or "in the hunt" at half time as our track record shows we will fall away in the second half.

If we had gone in at half time 16-nil down we would have capitulated in the second half and probably conceded 50. The fact that we regularly score very few (if any) points after the break means that teams come out confident that they can turn things around so Sheffield scoring 30 unanswered points just follows the same pattern as most of our games since barrow away.

To be honest what we need to do next week if we consider our selves supporters.Is after half time get behind the lads like we havnt done for along time.We have our part to play.

It seems to me that most of our problems are in the head so perhaps our next signing should be a sports psycologist. In the meantime  we should all head for the exits at half time and start to drown our sorrows earlier than we would do normally and contemplate the customary battle to avoid relegation.

What we need to do if we class ourselves as true supporters.Is next week after half time give the team.The best support they have had in along time.We have our part to play.

Edited by EQUALIZER, 21 April 2013 - 12:30 AM.

#56 ricochet

ricochet
  • Players
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:01 AM

The last part of my post was tongue in cheek, it just emphisizes the fact that Glen needs to sort out our woeful second half performances before we end up at the bottom of the pile. I like you will be there on Sunday cheering the team on to the bitter end. A couple of morale boosting wins starting with Workington at home and things will hopefully start to improve.

Ricochet!

#57 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:49 AM

The last part of my post was tongue in cheek, it just emphisizes the fact that Glen needs to sort out our woeful second half performances before we end up at the bottom of the pile. I like you will be there on Sunday cheering the team on to the bitter end. A couple of morale boosting wins starting with Workington at home and things will hopefully start to improve.

know that fella but,its a point worth bearing in mind.

#58 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:53 AM

What about we canvas for 4pts a win 2for a draw 1 bonus point and 1 for winning at half time.

#59 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

Getting fed up with the age of the players being made an excuse. So far we have had "We are a work in progress"  (we are not we are going backwards) and "we are on a learning curve" (seems to be a downward one) and variations on the same theme. BUT - Farrell and Murphy were internationals at eighteen, Nigel S was a first team fixture at seventeen, Charnley, Liam Farrell and Tomkins seem to have been around for ages, but are barely twenty two and I think outstanding saints prospect Percival is seventeen. I stand to be corrected but I don't think any of our squad are under twenty one - they are grown men. There are teenagers out in the desert regions of Afghanistan carting 60kg backpacks around in red hot conditions and putting their lives on the line for a pittance, but does anybody want to tell them they won't be fit for purpose for another five or six years ? don't think so. There is a lot of truth in the adage that if you are good enough you are old enough. Alan Hansen was quoted as saying you don't win anything with kids  - he was only partly right, you do if they are good enough, if they aren't you shouldn't sign them. Rant over.

we all feel the same miffed... something has to change...but we a young team on a learning curve, try new things... A COACH MAYBE

#60 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

glens master stroke for today is putting pryce at fullback...............................................maybe lol

Coincidently, it happened :lol:
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users