Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Greg Inglis

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

With the up coming World Cup and the improvement in the English team since the last WC, will this be the chance to win a major event?
The kiwis are strong but do not play well in England often

Australia are always up there and with key players like Cam Smith, Thurston, Slater, Cronk and Gallen they will not be easy to beat, but has Greg Inglis been forgotten as a Test player in recent times with his move to Club Fullback.
He may be the game breaker.

#2 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

I watched the first Rabbitohs match of the season and he let a few high kicks bounce around the tryline/in-goal area. Maybe just a bit of early season rust, though, and he probably won't be at FB for the Kangaroos.

Edited by Futtocks, 18 April 2013 - 12:17 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#3 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

I watched the first Rabbitohs match of the season and he let a few high kicks bounce around the tryline/in-goal area. Maybe just a bit of early season rust, though, and he probably won't be at FB for the Kangaroos.

he will be in the Centres for sure.
He is a pretty versatile player to have in your team if you have injuries, he has been the best centre in the World for some time, he has won the best Stand off award in the NRL a couple of years ago and now he is one of the best Fullbacks in the NRL

Pretty handy if you need to shuffle a team in a match

#4 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

Plenty of time for a "training accident" with a Burgess or 4...

:O

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#5 dkgfd

dkgfd
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

With Slater, Inglis and Barba all at the full back position, it shows you the huge gulf between competitions. Has it been there a while or have i just noticed it more now i watch Premier?

Still the english lads out there all seem to be doing really well- Widdop, Reed, Burgess x2, Graham- if they can all stay fit then surely we can complement them with SL players and make a competitive team?

errr.........is it scaramanga?

#6 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

With Slater, Inglis and Barba all at the full back position, it shows you the huge gulf between competitions. Has it been there a while or have i just noticed it more now i watch Premier?

Still the english lads out there all seem to be doing really well- Widdop, Reed, Burgess x2, Graham- if they can all stay fit then surely we can complement them with SL players and make a competitive team?

The Australians certainly have an embarassment of riches at that position and berba was the best of the lot but i thought he had mental and personal issues which have taken him away from the game.

That be as it may, they can only play one full back at at time and we have Tomkins, as good as them if he can sort out his problems under a hight ball. we have Hardacre a very competent alround deputy and is is Eden going.? I am more enthused at the talent at the disposal of England than I have been for many years.

At other positions we are better as well. Hall is world class as the Aussies found out and with most of the potential pack playing and suceeding in the NRL and with a stand off doing the same, i think there are gounds for guarded optimism.

#7 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:17 PM

There's a gulf between the competitions, but ###### for tat I think the England squad is relatively as close to Australia as I can remember it in my limited years watching the game.

If you put a squad together and had to choose players from the Kangaroos and England team, granted you're going to pick more of the Aussies, but we've got a team that's up there. It's the playmakers that are the big difference now imo.

In 2008 I don't think the Kiwis were as good as Aus on paper but they willed it more on the night. Switch to rugby union, has there been a world cup where the All Blacks haven't been the best team coming into it, but in the 2 world cups before the last one they didn't even make it to the finals.

I rate the Kangaroos as the best in the world and there's no question about it, it's anyones to win.

#8 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

The Kangaroos are a settled side, with plenty of experience of operating as a unit. GB and England have often been undone by a lack of coherent team performance, in attack and defence. Some of that will have come from lack of time spent working together, some of it from being mentally intimidated by Australia's long history of dominance.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#9 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 975 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

I don't think our options are that bad: England have Tomkins, Hardaker, Lomax and Ratchford who can all play full back and can all be game changers.

#10 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 975 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

I am more enthused at the talent at the disposal of England than I have been for many years.

I think it fair to say that the jigsaw pieces are pretty much there for England, it is just a case of whether the head coach can put the puzzle together.

#11 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

I think it fair to say that the jigsaw pieces are pretty much there for England, it is just a case of whether the head coach can put the puzzle together.

mc namara couldnt put 2  lego bricks together never mind a puzzle, some of his thinking is baffling at best

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#12 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

Inglis is an absolute monster and certainly one of many game breakers for the aussies.

I agree with the general sentiment that we are closer this world cup than last. We could do with none of the NRL clubs with our players making the final and the players coming into the England camp as soon as possible. 

#13 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,196 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:06 PM

I'd imagine at least one of Melbourne or Souths get to the final, if not both.

#14 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:56 PM

our biggest problem is going into this after just one poor warm up game, we need at least three games to get up to scratch.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.