Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

the images from goldthorpe

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#1 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

just wondered what fellow northerners thought of the images broadcast around the world yesterday, were you proud to be northern? did you agree with how the goldthorpe residents vented their deep rooted hatred? or were you embarrased by the protests and the way they were portrayed to the rest of the world?

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#2 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,775 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

The fact that the people of Goldthorpe an express themselves in the way that they did demonstrates that we live in a free society. In many other countries the riot police would have descended on the people there with awful consequences. I would rather live in a society in which people aren't afraid to express themselves, even if they appear extreme in doing so.

Whether they were wise to do what they did is a different question. I don't think they were, and I don't think they will have persuaded many people to visit Yorkshire.

I just hope they can show as much energy when it comes to improving their community.

I don't know what the unemployment rate is in Goldthorpe, but some of the towns in the southern part of the Wakefield district that once relied on mining have developed other employment opportunities through some very good work by Wakefield District Council. I understand that they now have lower unemployment rates than when mining was the dominant industry.

#3 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

The fact that the people of Goldthorpe an express themselves in the way that they did demonstrates that we live in a free society. In many other countries the riot police would have descended on the people there with awful consequences. I would rather live in a society in which people aren't afraid to express themselves, even if they appear extreme in doing so.

Whether they were wise to do what they did is a different question. I don't think they were, and I don't think they will have persuaded many people to visit Yorkshire.

I just hope they can show as much energy when it comes to improving their community.

they have had 30 years to improve their community in this free society that we live in, but a lot (not all) want to play the blame game

I don't know what the unemployment rate is in Goldthorpe, but some of the towns in the southern part of the Wakefield district that once relied on mining have developed other employment opportunities through some very good work by Wakefield District Council. I understand that they now have lower unemployment rates than when mining was the dominant industry.

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#4 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:54 PM

just wondered what fellow northerners thought of the images broadcast around the world yesterday, were you proud to be northern? did you agree with how the goldthorpe residents vented their deep rooted hatred? or were you embarrased by the protests and the way they were portrayed to the rest of the world?

I was embarrassed to be northern when I saw those scenes on TV. 

However, I was proud to live in a country that allows people to make themselves look stupid to the world.

#5 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,969 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

I don't know what the unemployment rate is in Goldthorpe

I'm pleased to live in a free country where professional journalists can express opinions without bothering to check any of the relevant details beforehand.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#6 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:19 PM

which is higher the unemployment rate or the unemployable rate ?

#7 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,764 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

which is higher the unemployment rate or the unemployable rate ?

My Daughter and son-in-law have just moved into Goldthorpe, they both work and ironically the house they have bought is on the old pit site.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#8 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

My Daughter and son-in-law have just moved into Goldthorpe, they both work and ironically the house they have bought is on the old pit site.

was talking more about the people on the tv coverage more than the actual genuine good folk of s.yorks

#9 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,679 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

Why should I think anything? the population of one village don't represent the whole of the North.

Glad we have free speech

#10 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

Why should I think anything? the population of one village don't represent the whole of the North.

Glad we have free speech

quite......it wasn't particularly dignified but then there's a lot of anger in those communities and so their outward appearance was probably the last thing on their mind

#11 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,764 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:22 PM

was talking more about the people on the tv coverage more than the actual genuine good folk of s.yorks

Never watched the news mate.

On the folk from Goldthorpe I can only go on my time as a mining contractor at the pit, playing rugby league against them and a ex girlfriend who is the manageress of a 65 bed care home in now.

I don't think you can judge a full village on what was on the TV

Ex

Edited by Marauder, 18 April 2013 - 07:32 PM.

#12 knottla

knottla
  • Facebook
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:24 PM

Nice to see all the posh new build houses in the background.

#13 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,969 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:27 PM

Glad we have free speech

They had free speech there.

Meanwhile, 4,000 police officers in London undertook dawn raids to make sure that nobody in central London did anything that hadn't been pre-approved.

(Source: Evening Standard)

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#14 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:31 PM

Good to see NCB donkey jackets are still de rigeur in Goldthorpe.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#15 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:40 PM

Meanwhile, 4,000 police officers in London undertook dawn raids to make sure that nobody in central London did anything that hadn't been pre-approved.

I liked the footage of the guy with the megaphone......."the sign over there says clap"

#16 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,018 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

Yes it was very democratic of the police to allow these demonstations however:

If you use the methods that Thatcher used to break the miners' strike (methods that had very little to do with democracy) you can expect the sort of bitterness  displayed in Goldthorpe and several other places yesterday.

As for tourists, Goldthorpe, Grimethorpe, South Kirkby, Fev, Cas, Normanton, Allerton Bywater, are not exactly on the tourist trail.  Any potential tourists will drive past these places on the M1 & A1M - straight to the safety of Tory Harrogate, Ripon, Thirsk.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#17 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

If you use the methods that Thatcher used to break the miners' strike (methods that had very little to do with democracy) .

You're right.  Scargill led the miners out on an illegal strike.

#18 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

Good.  I want to know our police force is protecting the public and all the visitors from abroad from any violence.

#19 T Dub

T Dub
  • Coach
  • 961 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

and as reports from Goldthorpe started on tv news Totalrl.com locked the Thatcherism thread and opened one about sleeveless jackets...

Orwellian news management is alve and well, and probably all Thatchers fault

(source:HP)

Edited by T Dub, 18 April 2013 - 07:55 PM.

#20 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,764 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:53 PM

Nice to see all the posh new build houses in the background.

I reckon that was done on purpose simply because that was the site of the pit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users