the images from goldthorpe

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#121 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,083 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

I doubt Major would have been obliged to attend John Smith's funeral as John Smith wasn't a Prime Minister or head of state.

I read neither the Daily Mail nor the Daily Mirror.  However, if links are provided to either in connection with a post then I will read them so that I know what the post is about. 

The licence fee IS a tax.  We are obliged by law to pay it.  Hence where the BBC is concerned we are all taxpayers and it is right that we are all represented. 

I think protocol dictates that if a senior serving politician (John Smith was leader of the opposition at the time) dies in office the prime minister is obliged to attend. It would be regarded as highly unusual had he not.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#122 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,319 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

That is clutching at straws completely. IIRC the royal wedding was declared a public holiday whereby the majority of the working population were given the day off work. The proportion of the working population who will have taken time off for Thatcher's funeral will be so minute in % terms as to be lost in the roundings. There is absolutely no correlation or comparison between the two events in terms of economic impact.

Let's wait and see shall we.   After all when the triple dip does come Ossy will be looking for something to blame in his Wonder Book of Excuses

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#123 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,282 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

I doubt Major would have been obliged to attend John Smith's funeral as John Smith wasn't a Prime Minister or head of state.

I read neither the Daily Mail nor the Daily Mirror.  However, if links are provided to either in connection with a post then I will read them so that I know what the post is about. 

The licence fee IS a tax.  We are obliged by law to pay it.  Hence where the BBC is concerned we are all taxpayers and it is right that we are all represented. 

he would have been obliged: Smith was leader of the oposition

the license fee is just that a fee. You are not obliged by law to pay it. You are obliged to pay it if you wish to recieve tv broadcasts. The fee is paid to the BBC not the government. the gathering and use of tax revenue is completely different to revenue gathered by a non government organisation for the provison of a service.

do you teach part time?

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#124 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,077 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:05 PM

the license fee is just that a fee. You are not obliged by law to pay it. You are obliged to pay it if you wish to recieve tv broadcasts. The fee is paid to the BBC not the government. the gathering and use of tax revenue is completely different to revenue gathered by a non government organisation for the provison of a service.

Your general principle is correct but in actual fact the "licence fee" was reclassified as a tax by Parliament in 2006 (a move which was heavily criticised in the House of Lords), and is why the government was able to use some of the money towards things like the digital switchover etc when previously it would have been liable to pay for it out of the treasury funds.

#125 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,282 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

Your general principle is correct but in actual fact the "licence fee" was reclassified as a tax by Parliament in 2006 (a move which was heavily criticised in the House of Lords), and is why the government was able to use some of the money towards things like the digital switchover etc when previously it would have been liable to pay for it out of the treasury funds.

thanks for that and my apologies to saintslass

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#126 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,394 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

Is that also why the BBC now meets the costs of the World Service and S4C from the licence fee whereas previously they were covered by government funding?

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#127 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,077 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:31 PM

Is that also why the BBC now meets the costs of the World Service and S4C from the licence fee whereas previously they were covered by government funding?

I think it probably is because previously the 'licence fee' was solely for domestic broadcasting by law, and the World Service was paid for out of central public funds. Now that the fee is a tax in statute, and therefore technically public funds, then it can also be used to pay for the World Service I assume.

#128 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

I think protocol dictates that if a senior serving politician (John Smith was leader of the opposition at the time) dies in office the prime minister is obliged to attend. It would be regarded as highly unusual had he not.

Fair enough.  I thought protocol only applied to serving prime ministers and heads of state.

#129 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,319 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:58 PM

I think it probably is because previously the 'licence fee' was solely for domestic broadcasting by law, and the World Service was paid for out of central public funds. Now that the fee is a tax in statute, and therefore technically public funds, then it can also be used to pay for the World Service I assume.

I think it's possible that the BBC was obliged to cover the cost of the World Service, whilst not getting an increase in the licence fee  to oblige Mr Murdoch.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#130 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

Saintslass, l'angelo, either get a room and quarrel in private, or put each other on ignore, because this is getting REALLY REALLY tedious now. :angry:

Landlord a pint for that man

Edit I've just realised you are the Landlord in Witch case ................ Can we ave a lock in

Edited by Bostik Bailey, 19 April 2013 - 07:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users