Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

early vinyl memories

magic moments

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:05 PM

I still remember the cost - 6/8d for the single, 10/6d for the EP.

Those prices seem very expensive - in the mid-1990s, when I built a large part of my CD collection I was usually paying 49p for a single with three tunes on it.

My first record was "Distant Sun" by Crowded House, which I bought on 7" vinyl from Woollies. I think that would have been about 50p.

On the subject of vinyl, I'd like to get a copy of Tracey Ullman's single "They don't know". If you play it at 33rpm instead of 45rpm it sounds like a very good version of Dusty Springfield singing it!

Edited by Jonty, 24 April 2013 - 10:05 PM.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#22 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

Those prices seem very expensive - in the mid-1990s, when I built a large part of my CD collection I was usually paying 49p for a single with three tunes on it.

My first record was "Distant Sun" by Crowded House, which I bought on 7" vinyl from Woollies. I think that would have been about 50p.

On the subject of vinyl, I'd like to get a copy of Tracey Ullman's single "They don't know". If you play it at 33rpm instead of 45rpm it sounds like a very good version of Dusty Springfield singing it!

I'm 100% confident of the 6/8d, and about 95% confident of the 10/6d. You didn't get discounted prices in the early-mid 60s, but you did in the 90s. 6/8d equates to 33p, so 49p would represent a 50% increase over 30 years, which doesn't seem unrealistic. If the prices seem high, then it just reinforces my gratitude to Jean - she really did have to dig deep for the extra 3/10d for Tom's EP.

I'd like to hear Tracey Ullman sounding like Dusty. Can't that sort of thing be done digitally these days? You sure it's not on the internet somewhere?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#23 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,085 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:45 AM

I'm 100% confident of the 6/8d, and about 95% confident of the 10/6d. You didn't get discounted prices in the early-mid 60s, but you did in the 90s. 6/8d equates to 33p, so 49p would represent a 50% increase over 30 years, which doesn't seem unrealistic. If the prices seem high, then it just reinforces my gratitude to Jean - she really did have to dig deep for the extra 3/10d for Tom's EP.

I'd like to hear Tracey Ullman sounding like Dusty. Can't that sort of thing be done digitally these days? You sure it's not on the internet somewhere?

It can be done digitally; if you use something like Audacity, there's an option to do the equivalent of a speed change.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#24 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,378 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

The prices sound about right to me but I'll ask my mrs.

They were posh. They had a record player and a telephone.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#25 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

When Tracy Ullman was with Stiff Records the man in charge would not release They Don't Know until they could get the run time to under 3 minutes, instead of re-recording it they just speeded it up. That's why she sounded a bit like pinky and perky on the record.

#26 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,018 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:51 PM

When Tracy Ullman was with Stiff Records the man in charge would not release They Don't Know until they could get the run time to under 3 minutes, instead of re-recording it they just speeded it up. That's why she sounded a bit like pinky and perky on the record.

And not a patch on Kirsty's version

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#27 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

Here you go. Supposedly also sounds like Tears for Fears, but I think it sounds like Dusty...

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#28 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

the ex jukebox stall on the market was always a good place to buy bundles of bargains

If my memory serves me right I think Tib Street in Manchester had a few of these stalls that were always packed with "Just out of the top 20" singles off Juke Boxes
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#29 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

If my memory serves me right I think Tib Street in Manchester had a few of these stalls that were always packed with "Just out of the top 20" singles off Juke Boxes

to my memory jukeboxes in the 80s seem to have the left hand side display full of the charts (that got changed on a regular basis) hence ending up in market bundles and the right hand side was listed with the "classics" from the 60s and 70s that never got changed.

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#30 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,840 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:54 PM

It does serve you well. Tib Street was also full of pet shops. It also had, in the early 1960s at least one record shop that was full of jazz imports from the US 'cos I used to spend hours in there as a youth deciding on what LPs I could not afford. They also had a lot of British jazz on the Esquire label. Probably still got some of them somewhere but owing to heavy usage an mishandling/storage, they are in a bad way.  I've also got this somewhere plus some on the Riverside label, also bought in a shop at the far end of Tib Street.

#31 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:40 PM

It does serve you well. Tib Street was also full of pet shops. It also had, in the early 1960s at least one record shop that was full of jazz imports from the US 'cos I used to spend hours in there as a youth deciding on what LPs I could not afford. They also had a lot of British jazz on the Esquire label. Probably still got some of them somewhere but owing to heavy usage an mishandling/storage, they are in a bad way.  I've also got this somewhere plus some on the Riverside label, also bought in a shop at the far end of Tib Street.

Tib Street was great. Full of pet shops, record shops, and just loads of interesting places to while away an afternoon. Lots of Manchester's centre was like that, though. I remember a little side street off Cannon Street that was full of bespoke tailors, with their wares on display.

I'm sure you will remember the old joke about Tib Street. A police constable is being shown the ropes by his sergeant and, while on patrol in Piccadilly Gardens, they come across a horse which has collapsed and died. The sergeant tells the constable to make a note of their find and the constable writes "10:45 am Dead horse found in " "'Ere, sarge," he says, "How do you spell Piccadilly?" The sergeant says, "P I C A D er, P I C C A D D er, P I C A D D er... Get your coat off and we'll drag the beggar round into Tib Street" (I did say old - I first heard that one over 50 years ago  :( )

edited because the sweary filter doesn't like beggar with a u instead of the e! Honestly, JD, come on!

Edited by tonyXIII, 28 April 2013 - 04:24 PM.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#32 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,840 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:53 AM

not to mention Mazel Radio on London Road. Used to buy the odd record plus tape for my reel-to reel there in the early 60s.  see http://www.mancheste.../mazelradio.php

and http://www.mancheste...hops_record.php

and 

and http://forums.bluemo...fe5e&view=print

ended up in 1967 with a Thorens TD150, an RSC transistor amp kit  and Wharfedale Gold 10" rsdd speakers .: http://archive.org/s...age/n3/mode/2up

Edited by JohnM, 28 April 2013 - 09:19 AM.

#33 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,085 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

Why are second-hand Richie Havens LPs always* in shocking condition? I had to get out the PVA wood glue to clean up one this weekend which was filthy.

*all the ones I've bought, anyway.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#34 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,840 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

PVA? How does that work?

#35 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,085 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

PVA? How does that work?

You spread a fairly thick layer of PVA glue over the playing surface and let it dry completely. Vinyl is PVC, so PVA won't bond to it, but it will stick to all the crud in the grooves. When it has dried, you peel off the glue (hopefully in one piece) and your record is much cleaner. It won't get absolutely everything, and of course it won't help with scratched records, but if you've got a really filthy record, it's worth a go. There are some tips and suggestions available online, like this site: http://www.lencoheav...php?topic=320.0

#36 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,085 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

By the way, I used HomeBase own-brand PVA Adhesive. I've known of the technique for a while, but only recently tried it. It made quite a difference to the Richie Havens album.

#37 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,840 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

oh ######...that's another load of jobs to go on the to-do list!

#38 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,085 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

It doesn't work on shellac, oldtimer! ;)

#39 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,840 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:31 AM

cylinders?

#40 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,378 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:24 PM

cylinders?

I don't think it will do your motorbike much good, John.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users