Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Gareth Widdop

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

Once Chase has gone back to the NRL (which I am reading could be in the next few weeks), I sincerely hope that a line will be drawn under the sorry saga of Roger Chase the English half back and that said individual features no more in an England jersey.

I have no issue with overseas born players qualifying on residency grounds, since these are the rules, he is simply not worthy of a spot IMO. FWIW, those residency rules do need changing, preferably to mirror the recent changes made in cricket by the ECB.

Have to agree, but I think he can now be English forever!

What changes have the ECB made to it?

#22 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:15 AM

Have to agree, but I think he can now be English forever!

What changes have the ECB made to it?

Have extended the qualifying period to 7 years.

#23 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

Have extended the qualifying period to 7 years.

I still disagree with it but at least thats a significant length of time that they need to have lived here!

#24 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

I still disagree with it but at least thats a significant length of time that they need to have lived here!

I don't think there is anything wrong with qualifying to represent a country on residency grounds, but the qualifying criteria need to be much tighter. I think 7 years is a good stretch to demonstrate your commitment to your new homeland, taking on citizenship and obtaining a passport is even better. 

The Roger Chase affair smacks of opportunism and needs to come to a swift conclusion.

Edited by foozler, 19 April 2013 - 01:33 PM.

#25 Fax1978

Fax1978
  • Coach
  • 568 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

Didn't see this coming and to be honest I hope he hasn't do this just for the money although who could blame him if he did $2.2m over the course of the contract is a lot of money.
At least it will provide the opportunity to see what he is really made of away from cronk, smith and Slater.

#26 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 279 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

Once Chase (thankfully) leaves these shores will he be allowed back in? Lets hope not and Macnamara will have to find someone English to fill his spot

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

#27 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

Once Chase (thankfully) leaves these shores will he be allowed back in?

With an English wife and child I suspect he will be.

Posted Image

#28 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

Wish the eels had signed him.

#29 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,871 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

Would I be right in thinking that started just after they had a brief spell of being good?

Anyway, for what it's worth, I think he'll flourish at St George (assuming he is as good as he looks and not being made to look good by Cronk and Smith). Decent size club with some expectation, but perhaps not quite the pressure that would be on him at Brisbane.

No you would be wrong.
I started following them in 1975 when I was 11 and they had won nothing at that point.
You may have noticed they have not won anything much in the last 16 years, guess I jumped on the bandwagon and forgot to get off eh?

Edited by AndyCapp, 19 April 2013 - 11:21 PM.

#30 Marty Funkhouser

Marty Funkhouser
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

Kind of rams home the differing paths of the game in the two countries when an NRL club can give an Engalnd squad man $10,000 a week...

Any talented young RL player must aim for a chance in the NRL with all the soccer like benefits it offers, not to mention everything else Australia offers, the NRL really does seem like RL nirvana for a player...

#31 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

No you would be wrong.
I started following them in 1975 when I was 11 and they had won nothing at that point.
You may have noticed they have not won anything much in the last 16 years, guess I jumped on the bandwagon and forgot to get off eh?

Sorry AC, I wasn't having a dig - I read it as 29 years (are you sure you didn't edit?) and was commiserating with you.

I was meaning that you'd have just started supporting one of the best teams in the country, had a couple of good years to spoil you and then mostly rubbish since.
People called Romans they go the house

#32 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:27 AM

Think if chase goes to st g he will benefit from having a steady half back partner that can take charge n let him pick n choose his time for brilliance.

Lets face it he hadn't had a half decent partner week on week out so hes having to do everything n looks to run out of ideas in games.

His half back partners recently been Ellis, McGoldrick n Orr (on his last legs) add to that the stand in partners of Widders, Tansey n even Hauraki. Im sure iv missed a few
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#33 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,871 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

Sorry AC, I wasn't having a dig - I read it as 29 years (are you sure you didn't edit?) and was commiserating with you.

I was meaning that you'd have just started supporting one of the best teams in the country, had a couple of good years to spoil you and then mostly rubbish since.

I can not see anywhere in my original post that says it was edited? can you?

#34 Good Omen

Good Omen
  • Coach
  • 640 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:38 AM

SALFORD??

#35 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:46 AM

With an English wife and child I suspect he will be.

Is it me, or is it all becoming a bit 'UKIP' on this thread?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users