Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rochdale Observer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Judge Mental

Judge Mental
  • Players
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

I for one am pig sick of this excuse for a newspaper. In Fridays Observer on the back page, three-quarters have been given over to an interview with Ian Talbot. The third paragraph begins "Talbot (pictured)" only problem is, its a ruddy great big head and shoulders picture of Matt Calland. Pillocks.

When is this rag going to give Hornets a fair crack of the whip, or at least get its facts right. The paper is that poor now on local knowledge it is not even worth reading. If Rochdale-on-Line published a Births, Marriages and Deaths section, I would never buy this rag again.

In fact the quality of the paper even excludes it from being cut into squares and hung behind the toilet door on a bit of string.

For those of you who wish to complain please be my guest and do as I have done e-mail, peter.spencer@men-news.co.uk and make your feelings known in no uncertain manner.

#2 StarfireHypervixen

StarfireHypervixen
  • Coach
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:26 PM

This weekend your match against the Bulls is comparable to Rochdale AFC playing a Premiership team. Can you imagine the coverage that game would get?
Living life in such a way, that when my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan says "Oh *@$^! She's awake!"

#3 fillipo del toro

fillipo del toro
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

This weekend your match against the Bulls is comparable to Rochdale AFC playing a Premiership team. Can you imagine the coverage that game would get?

Absolutely spot on. As for the Obbies been an embarrassment for a while. I haven't bought it for 5 years. I find Rochdale Online more informative & up to speed & they have regular match action from Hornets
Phil Bull.

Hopefully my post are viewed as positive, and I cannot be held responsible for causing any offence to anyone associated with this message board

#4 ColDale

ColDale
  • Players
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

Never thought I'd be sticking up for the Ob after their front page on Wednesday, but you cannot look on Dale and Hornets as being comparable any more. If we had a Premiership club coming to town, the place would practically be full, whilst unfortunately (and I meant that) Sunday's game will no doubt see a crowd which is less than our average attendance this season.

Interfering bloke who supports Dale.

#5 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 988 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:11 PM

What was/is Dales average attendance this season Col? Has Mr Hill made a difference?
Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

Give 'em a fair trial..........and then hang 'em"

#6 ColDale

ColDale
  • Players
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:30 PM

At the top of my head, its about 2300 to 2400. Aside from Port Vale last week who outnumbered us, away followings this year has often been less than a hundred.

Hills made a huge difference. When Coleman was here, it just wasn't our team. We were like one of those Premiership teams, with players diving, fouling and arguing all the time, and even tho results weren't the worst, it just wasn't us, and it felt like a set of strangers on the pitch rather than our team. Fans were walking away because we were dishonest. It might sound like some sort of moral crusade but it just felt a little bit wrong.  Hill's brought us back a sense of honesty, and it feels like us again. 

Interfering bloke who supports Dale.

#7 fillipo del toro

fillipo del toro
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:12 AM

Never thought I'd be sticking up for the Ob after their front page on Wednesday, but you cannot look on Dale and Hornets as being comparable any more. If we had a Premiership club coming to town, the place would practically be full, whilst unfortunately (and I meant that) Sunday's game will no doubt see a crowd which is less than our average attendance this season.

Rugby League isn't comparable to Soccer full stop. You can't move for Soccer day in day out. England play meaningless friendlies & we have to endure the 4 or 5 back pages crammed full of news 3 or 4 days before the game & 2 or 3 days after it.
This and many other reasons why I daren't start going into on here is why I have lost complete interest in Soccer. I've reached saturation point with Soccer and I'm at a complete loss how anyone can relate to the professional players, even at Dales level! Yes ive been up at Spotland when the players have finished training & there does seem an attitude of 'Do you know who I am about the players' Whilst I watch the big games I cannot see me paying to watch a Soccer match anytime soon.
Phil Bull.

Hopefully my post are viewed as positive, and I cannot be held responsible for causing any offence to anyone associated with this message board

#8 StarfireHypervixen

StarfireHypervixen
  • Coach
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:03 AM

I was not comparing the clubs. I was referring to the relative levels in a particular match within a competition, the purpose of the comparison was to demonstrate the Observer's bias toward association football, (a sport I have no interest in.) I'm quite happy for the paper to give as much apace as it wants to the footy team. I would like it to give regular, and more importantly, accurate coverage to R. L. Its really not much to ask from a 'local' paper.
Living life in such a way, that when my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan says "Oh *@$^! She's awake!"

#9 mickhornet

mickhornet
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:06 AM

Its been ruined since the MEN took it over. Why anyone buys it i dont know. It used to be a fine independent paper, not any more.

#10 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 507 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

Rugby League isn't comparable to Soccer full stop.

Its football, not soccer.   Thats what they (cliam to) play in the US

Rugby League isn't comparable to Soccer full stop. You can't move for Soccer day in day out. England play meaningless friendlies & we have to endure the 4 or 5 back pages crammed full of news 3 or 4 days before the game & 2 or 3 days after it.
This and many other reasons why I daren't start going into on here is why I have lost complete interest in Soccer. I've reached saturation point with Soccer and I'm at a complete loss how anyone can relate to the professional players, even at Dales level! Yes ive been up at Spotland when the players have finished training & there does seem an attitude of 'Do you know who I am about the players' Whilst I watch the big games I cannot see me paying to watch a Soccer match anytime soon.

#11 fillipo del toro

fillipo del toro
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:44 PM

Its football, not soccer. Thats what they (cliam to) play in the US

Soccer, Football, The Beautiful Game. Whatever you want to call it. It's an industry now with little regard for its main stakeholders the fans. I've just lost interest in it. I find it interesting that although I referred to it as Soccer you knew exactly what I was talking about.
Phil Bull.

#12 The Collector

The Collector
  • Players
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

The Observer has been a joke regarding Hornets publicity for years, but yesterdays edition with the wrong photograph is unexcusable!!

Imagine the furora if they had got Mr Hills photograph wrong. It doesn't bear thinking about.

I will now await with bated breath for an apologoy.

#13 StarfireHypervixen

StarfireHypervixen
  • Coach
  • 108 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

The Observer has been a joke regarding Hornets publicity for years, but yesterdays edition with the wrong photograph is unexcusable!!

Imagine the furora if they had got Mr Hills photograph wrong. It doesn't bear thinking about.

I will now await with bated breath for an apologoy.

G'day Blue!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users