Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

East Manchester/West Pennines.. is it time?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 560 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

Just been reading the thread about the Calder area and wondered if it's time for a similar idea in the east of Manchester? I personally want Oldham to be that team , but the way things are going my grandkids will be lucky to see that team. So..... would s new team encompassing the east of manchester be successful? I know there will be cries of derision and some abuse. But .... what do neutrals in particular think?

#2 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:35 PM

As an Oldham fan, if you look at our crowds and Rochdales we're still about 9000 short of what is required for SL. The only decent ground available would be spotland which wouldn't really work for getting any new fans from manchester. I think Salford are manchesters best (only?) chance to be a big SL club.

"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#3 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 560 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:20 PM

Only reason we're 9000 short is because of the position we're in. Salford is not and never will have the potential of Oldham, ever. Money is the only reason Salford are on the up. 6 months ago Salford were heading the way of the old Oldham club. It grates that the cream of the Oldham amateur set up are playing for other boroughs.

#4 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,880 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:02 AM

Just been reading the thread about the Calder area and wondered if it's time for a similar idea in the east of Manchester? I personally want Oldham to be that team , but the way things are going my grandkids will be lucky to see that team. So..... would s new team encompassing the east of manchester be successful? I know there will be cries of derision and some abuse. But .... what do neutrals in particular think?

As a neutral I remember Mo pairing Oldham and salford and calling them Manchester.

Like other mergers they won't happen but I'd guess Koukash would in time chase the best players in Oldham and court the fans.

Sadly Oldham didn't get a ground built and didn't get millionaire owner(s)

#5 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:50 AM

no thanks

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#6 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,942 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

The clubs voted for a fight to the death.

Salford are winning the fight.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#7 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:57 AM

Can anyone tell me of any merger,in any sport,which has been successful? i.e. where two teams struggled for whatever reason,be it players,facilities,money,spectators and by merging,they ended up with a stronger Club both playing wise and financially.

#8 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,942 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

Can anyone tell me of any merger,in any sport,which has been successful? i.e. where two teams struggled for whatever reason,be it players,facilities,money,spectators and by merging,they ended up with a stronger Club both playing wise and financially.

Up Holland and Wigan Wasps seems to have been a rather successful merger.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#9 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 289 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

Wests tigers, st George Illawarra? Both went on to win premierships

#10 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,487 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:45 AM

Inverness Caley Thistle.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#11 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 560 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

The clubs voted for a fight to the death.

Salford are winning the fight.

thats a good point. However an Oldham/Salford merger wouldn't work. I'm thinking of an east west Manchester split. Salford being the west and Oldham/Rochdale being the east. With investment it could work and could entice more Mancunians to embrace one or the other ala city v united!?

#12 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,942 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

thats a good point. However an Oldham/Salford merger wouldn't work. I'm thinking of an east west Manchester split. Salford being the west and Oldham/Rochdale being the east. With investment it could work and could entice more Mancunians to embrace one or the other ala city v united!?

That would be up to the two clubs involved, where would they play?

#13 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 560 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

That would be up to the two clubs involved, where would they play?

The way I'm looking at this is that the RL in their wisdom say that there will be a SL franchise available in the east of Manchester and invite tenders. So if Oldham and Rochdale wish to bid, either together or independently then that's up yo them. What I am saying is that there is potential and it needs investment to fulfil it. At the moment that potential is dying on its feet.

#14 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,835 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:45 AM

What about the rumored/proposed new club playing out of Belle View? I'd have thought from the off they'd be a more natural merger candidate for Oldham than Salford.

#15 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 560 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

What about the rumored/proposed new club playing out of Belle View? I'd have thought from the off they'd be a more natural merger candidate for Oldham than Salford.

That rumours come about because of the upgrade to the speedway track. Whether it has legs I doubt it.

#16 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,942 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:51 AM

The way I'm looking at this is that the RL in their wisdom say that there will be a SL franchise available in the east of Manchester and invite tenders. So if Oldham and Rochdale wish to bid, either together or independently then that's up yo them. What I am saying is that there is potential and it needs investment to fulfil it. At the moment that potential is dying on its feet.

It only has potential if there is an SL standard ground for them to play in.

I don't see one.

#17 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 560 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

It only has potential if there is an SL standard ground for them to play in.

I don't see one.

depends on who bids and who invests? Who has the vision?

#18 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,835 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

That rumours come about because of the upgrade to the speedway track. Whether it has legs I doubt it.

Granted I haven't seen anything more substantiated than a newspaper article, but it certainly reads like there might be something in it.

#19 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:24 PM

no thanks.....

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#20 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,942 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

Granted I haven't seen anything more substantiated than a newspaper article, but it certainly reads like there might be something in it.

So it's not an SL bid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users