Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

East Manchester/West Pennines.. is it time?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 TheMancunianCandidate

TheMancunianCandidate
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:23 PM

Just been reading the thread about the Calder area and wondered if it's time for a similar idea in the east of Manchester? I personally want Oldham to be that team , but the way things are going my grandkids will be lucky to see that team. So..... would s new team encompassing the east of manchester be successful? I know there will be cries of derision and some abuse. But .... what do neutrals in particular think?

Twelve months ago, I may have agreed with you. Salford were struggling and there was a potential gap in the market to rival them.

Not now though. Lots has changed already since The Dr and Ed Farish have arrived and more changes are in the pipeline. Now's not the right time.

Rugby league struggles in the Rochdale/ Oldham area as it is, the last thing that is needed is another entity to rival them for players and revenue. The sport needs to be united, not to continually split itself in two.

#22 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,538 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

Twelve months ago, I may have agreed with you. Salford were struggling and there was a potential gap in the market to rival them.

Not now though. Lots has changed already since The Dr and Ed Farish have arrived and more changes are in the pipeline. Now's not the right time.

Rugby league struggles in the Rochdale/ Oldham area as it is, the last thing that is needed is another entity to rival them for players and revenue. The sport needs to be united, not to continually split itself in two.

Back of the net ^^^

#23 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 627 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

I disagree. Rugby league is alive and well in Oldham but only at amateur level. Also now is the time Salford is in another dimension as far this side of Manchester is concerned. Supporting Salford will be totally alien.

#24 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

I disagree. Rugby league is alive and well in Oldham but only at amateur level. Also now is the time Salford is in another dimension as far this side of Manchester is concerned. Supporting Salford will be totally alien.

That's at odds with the recent interview on Manchester Radio a couple of weeks ago when a former Oldham supporter said he was now watching and supporting Salford.

Edited by Padge, 21 April 2013 - 07:40 PM.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#25 TheMancunianCandidate

TheMancunianCandidate
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

Supporting Salford will be totally alien.

Not to new supporters it won't. To those new to the game, going to high profile games and watching high profile players in a modern stadium will be the level that they will be most likely to go to.

#26 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 627 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

That's at odds with the recent interview with an interview on Manchester Radio a couple of weeks ago when a former Oldham supporter was now watching Salford.

Oooh mass exodus it is then. Nope most ex Oldham fans stay at home. So Salford's business plan involves targeting east Manchester then? To pillage our amateur set up? Rather go and live in Yorkshire than support Salford. And there is no way I would go and live in Yorkshire.

#27 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

Oooh mass exodus it is then. Nope most ex Oldham fans stay at home. So Salford's business plan involves targeting east Manchester then? To pillage our amateur set up? Rather go and live in Yorkshire than support Salford. And there is no way I would go and live in Yorkshire.

The point is that all this b0ll0ck$ of people never change allegiance is just that, b0ll0ck$

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#28 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,359 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:34 AM

1. Most ex Oldham fans stay at home.

2. So Salford's business plan involves targeting east Manchester then? To pillage our amateur set up?

1. I think your probably spot on with that. Most stay at home, some apparently go to Wigan now. Anecdotal evidence only.

2. I'd suspect Koukash's scouts will go all over the north, there's only four Oldham lads playing first team Superleague at the moment so there's not enough talent in Oldham to make a Superleague team in itself.

As the M60 conveniently circles Manchester/Salford I expect Koukash to particularly market the club to the whole population in and around that motorway.

Edited by The Parksider, 22 April 2013 - 05:34 AM.

#29 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:37 AM

we've been over this before mate...theres more than 4!

marc syned,lee jewitt,kev sinfield,chris bridge,jordan turner,eamon o'carroll....

theres 6 off the top of my head

Edited by roughyedspud, 22 April 2013 - 05:44 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#30 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,359 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:53 AM

we've been over this before mate...theres more than 4!

marc syned,lee jewitt,kev sinfield,chris bridge,jordan turner,eamon o'carroll....

theres 6 off the top of my head

Make it six if you want. Clubs have squads of 25 so Oldham just need another 19 quality players for their SL team.

#31 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:20 AM

and no team in super league is based entirely on home grown talent...............but oldham has to be....give it a rest :lol:

OLDHAM RLFC

#32 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,359 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:42 AM

and no team in super league is based entirely on home grown talent...............but oldham has to be....give it a rest :lol:

Nobody said it has to be, make your own incorrect interpretations in order to to mock.

All I'm saying is that there are places that can produce adequate numbers of players so that they can stock a Superleague side, such as Wigan, Leeds and Hull.

Beyond that clubs have the handicap of insufficient quality local players to stock the team. Other handicaps include inadequate ground, and inadequate fan base.

Sadly Oldham have the hat trick.

#33 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:53 AM

well its a good job i don't want us in super league then is'nt it..

seriously though you are the only person i know that thinks oldham does'nt produce RL players :lol:

OLDHAM RLFC

#34 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 627 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

well its a good job i don't want us in super league then is'nt it..

seriously though you are the only person i know that thinks oldham does'nt produce RL players :lol:

2nd biggest after Wigan/Leigh so I'm led to believe. The problem we have is we have no stadium . We have the potential for big crowds but not while we're stood around a farm meadow on the side of a hill. I've said in the past that if we had what Rochdale have then we would, at least, be competing at the top of the CC.

#35 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,359 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

If you think your being serious then you haven't read the posts or anything I have been saying.

I know full well Oldham has junior clubs like St Annes and at any one time in the first teams of Superleague clubs there are several Oldham lads.

I've never taken the stance that Oldham doesn't produce ANY juniors. just not enough juniors to be a true Superleague club, and that includes Huddersfield, Bradford, Salford, Widnes and Wakefield etc.

They used to plug the gap with overseas players. As that dries up the way is open for a couple more Oldham lads to make it like Sneyd.

But you carry on twisting things for a giggle.