Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Wales Rugby League News (Merged threads)

RLEF media release Club news release

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 League Express

League Express
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

Rugby league’s Commonwealth expansion initiative has entered new territory following an exploratory visit to Sierra Leone by a joint Wales Rugby League-Rugby League European Federation delegation. WRL’s National Development Manager Mark Jones and RLEF General Manager Danny Kazandjian have just returned from a week in the West African country to investigate opportunities for the sport to make a lasting impression there.

“Sierra Leone was an experience of a lifetime and the memories will be etched deeply forever,” said Jones. “From the moment we touched down we were treated like royalty. Throughout our hectic week we met so many extraordinary people whose enthusiasm for sport is unbridled and their generosity unrivalled. All the students in the schools and universities we visited are very excited about the introduction of rugby league and our trip culminated with the first session at a local beach.

“The impromptu match highlighted the talent the country possesses and bodes well for the future.  After returning to Wales I felt humbled that a nation with so little was able to give us so much. The poverty in that part of Africa is evident wherever you go and the only thing holding back the development of sport is the access to facilities and equipment.”

The visit, part of the sport’s project to expand into virgin territories of the Commonwealth following recognition by the Commonwealth Games Federation in 2011, was part-funded by the Welsh Assembly’s Wales-Africa Community Links organisation and will see Wales Rugby League build a community revolving around rugby league - but incorporating education and health elements - in partnership with peer groups in the capital, Freetown.

The trip included meetings with local government officials, media and educational institutions. The delegation received the blessing of the Sierra Leone National Olympic Committee and the Ministry of Education, while the response from the local schools was extremely positive.

“We’d like to thank Wales-Africa Community Links for supporting this project,” said Kazandjian. “The sport is keen to create a cluster of West African nations and, following the first steps that have been taken in Ghana and Nigeria, Sierra Leone is a welcome addition. Mark and I met with unabridged enthusiasm wherever we went and it is now our responsibility to put together a plan that will enable a technical team to head back to Freetown to conduct training courses for the locals.

“Facilities were limited, but we were expecting that, and a number of places we visited have projects to create their own grass fields. The NOC was extremely positive about the project and we will be able to introduce rugby league in several institutions, including the one university that trains the country’s sports teachers.”

Rich in mineral deposits, Sierra Leone, rated the world’s poorest country in 2000, is recovering from a bloody ten-year civil war that ended in 2002.

Wales Rugby League is looking to send out playing kit, balls, cones and football boots in any condition to Sierra Leone. Please contact mark.jones@walesrugbyleague.co.uk to organise collection.

PHIL CAPLAN

RLEF MEDIA OFFICER

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#2 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:26 PM

It seems like there are positive stories about RL expanding to new areas throughout the globe virtually every month or so. If only a few of them take off in a big way, our world cup could expand to a much bigger competition in no time at all. Good luck to the African expansionist agenda

#3 League Express

League Express
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:57 AM

London Broncos and Wales star Michael Channing has admitted he is desperate to tie down a position in the Dragons squad for Rugby League World Cup 2013.

Channing has represented Wales on two occasions, featuring in last year's Autumn Internationals series against England and France.

And following an encouraging start to the season, the 20-year-old has his eyes trained on a place in the team for the nation's Opening Ceremony showdown with Italy on October 26.

"There's some decent competition for places in that Wales squad so I know I'll have to be playing regularly and playing well for London to secure my spot," said Channing. "We've got a lot of people coming through, so the standard is going to be high, which is what you need in your squad if you want to be successful. But it's an exciting year for me as a Welsh international and I have to say that it's a big goal of mine to play at Rugby League World Cup 2013.

To read more click the following link ...........

http://matchdaymail....e7fc20dd9c1f1c9

London Broncos media team

Edited by John Drake, 08 July 2013 - 12:03 PM.

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#4 Swansea Jack

Swansea Jack
  • Coach
  • 241 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:18 AM

good to see the Welsh team building. I will be there in Cardiff, Wrexham and Neath. Come on Wales.