Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

natan brown next?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:03 AM

I suspect Saints will have a strong second half to the season.From an overall rugby point of view,I prefer K.R. to go through and I wouldn't have minded if Cas had beaten Leeds.Something like one of the Hull clubs in the final versus say Wakefield/Bradford,would be quite refreshing.

#22 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:16 AM

Widnes in the Final would be even more refreshing...
Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#23 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,624 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

McManus has been instrumental to the poor recruitment and retention that leaves Saints in their current predicament. Actually, with a decent halfback or two they wouldn't be all that far away. Sacking Brown based on results so far would be daft.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#24 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,769 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:04 PM

sean long and kc would be a dream team for saints.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#25 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

Brown wont go this year.

He will be given time to recruit who he wants for next year and then the pressure will be on. If Saints find themselves in this position this time next year then he'sll definately be gone !

#26 Loiner

Loiner
  • Coach
  • 310 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

Saints should stick with Brown

Didn't rate him at the giants and he's done nothing for me to alter that. The icing on the cake was liking Eden to Billy Slater

#27 The Bobster

The Bobster
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

Saints are just short of a decent scrum half and stand off from being a very good team and these slots have to be a priority for recruitment for 2014.

Even without to half backs we will still make the play offs.

We are two points behind Warrington who are in third place, but I don't hear anyone questioning if Tony Smith should be for a "mutual agreement".

But on thing that really puzzles me is letting Gaskell a Stand Off go to Salford and bring Howarth a hooker t he other way and play him at Stand Off

Posted Image

#28 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

another loss, to "lowly" london this time!

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#29 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

But on thing that really puzzles me is letting Gaskell a Stand Off go to Salford and bring Howarth a hooker t he other way and play him at Stand Off

Puzzles us too!  But then Brown is not known for making logical decisions about who he plays where.

#30 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

Widnes in the Final would be even more refreshing...

Widnes in any final would be refreshing :P

#31 Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton
  • Coach
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

Don't think knee jerk reactions over Brown are helpful. They only real mistake so far is not insisting that Saints recruited a scrum half as a priority when he signed the contract last year. It's their clear weakness. However its difficult to say how much flexibility they had given they are overpaying average overseas players like Hohaia, Perry, Meli and Laffranchi, and substandard recruits like Turner. People are also quick to forget that Saints were just starting to hit form when they lost their two best players - Lomax and Roby to injury. They'll pick up in a month or two, and be towards the top end of SL by September.

They will pick up on magic Weekend, when miraculously all their players will be fit. :(

#32 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:16 PM

The injuries are killing us.

We are not a side that can win things at the moment, but we are a better side than our current showing.  

Most teams have key players, ours are Lomax / Roby and Sia

We've lost 2 key players, we have no halfs and alot of injuries.

I think we will come good second half, people will probably call us dark horses, but without a 7 we will not win.

The only thing Brown can do at the moment is shuffle the cards each week and see what numbers he has.  We lost another today and I don't know if any others are due back.

Our problems are injuries and a lack of a 7.  Neither of which can be laid at the feet of Brown.

Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#33 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:23 AM

Sorry for Saints but more delighted for London  - also pleased for Salford and frankly,I wouldn't have minded Catalans beating Huddersfield.I think I want all 14 teams to be level on 12 points!

#34 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:16 AM

Didn't rate him at the giants and he's done nothing for me to alter that. The icing on the cake was liking Eden to Billy Slater

That isn't what he said at all

He said Eden had the POTENTIAL to be as good as Slater. And to be fair the way Eden joins the line and picks his runs is very reminiscent of Slaters style.

His defence and positioning is a long way off that though. Long way.

#35 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

Completely unconvinced by Brown, I think letting Gaskell go was lunacy and given the half back pairing we are currently playing I cannot see the logic. Discipline is poor and has/will cost us points, we need a turnaround in form - he might provide this himself but I am yet to see his team develop.
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#36 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

personally i think they should have stood by royce simmons, he had to cope with a horrendous injury list and blooded many of the current team when they were kids.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#37 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:11 AM

personally i think they should have stood by royce simmons, he had to cope with a horrendous injury list and blooded many of the current team when they were kids.

Yep.  He was an honest bloke who at least played players in their appropriate positions and was wise enough to keep the game plan simple so that young players filling in for injuries could seamlessly slip into the relevant roles.  Brown is making everything worse in this regard.

#38 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

Brown is not making things worse.  He is having to clean up the mess left behind.

He has move Wellens +1

He brought Turner in for Shenton =

Percival in for Talau +1  (longest replacement of a centre in history)

Lomax away from 7 to FB  +1

Gaskell sold to Salford  -1

Laffranchi to 2nd row +1

There is alot of mess to clean up.  Lance being the biggest, but you can't expect him to conjour up a 7 in a matter of months that required luck which he may get if Yates ever gets fit.  Or money, which is down to higher powers than Brown.

Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#39 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

Brown is not making things worse.  He is having to clean up the mess left behind.

Read my post please.  I said he is making everything worse by playing players out of position and not adapting the game plan at a time when we are under enough pressure anyway. 

Edited by Saintslass, 28 April 2013 - 01:16 PM.

#40 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:37 PM

ask any widnes fan if they are confident of winning at langtree park next week end, and you will get a resounding YES!
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users