Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

does lack of p&r inadvertently affect clubs cup chances?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:16 PM

just thinking about fev winning the cup in 83- how can they hope to compete in the cc when they are not allowed to think about playing sl? will they not be cc contenders either until they have completed a bidding process for sl in the coming years? while theres no p&r it makes cup comps a bit invalid to those outside the chosen ones.

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#2 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

just thinking about fev winning the cup in 83- how can they hope to compete in the cc when they are not allowed to think about playing sl? will they not be cc contenders either until they have completed a bidding process for sl in the coming years? while theres no p&r it makes cup comps a bit invalid to those outside the chosen ones.

maybe not explained very well- but even if fev had been in sl for 2 seasons maybe bottom 3 -they would have a better basis for a cup run as they would have to be a better team week in week out- think sl structure de-valuates the cc

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#3 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,020 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:49 PM

No. No. No. No.

In any case. Fev ARE thinking of SL

#4 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

It's irrelevant p and r anyways. How can a team from the Championship win the challenge cup when 14 teams are allowed to spend 6 times more on the team and are allowed more overseas imports in their team.

Personally think that's more of a factor than whether promotion is on offer.

#5 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,944 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:30 PM

For teams outside of thd top flight, lengthy cup runs have hardly ever happened even when we had p&r!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#6 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:51 PM

I don't think the lack of P&R makes a blind bit of difference.

Don't forget that when we last won the cup, we were a top flight team (albeit at the bottom end that season).

I can't think of too many second division clubs having a serious cup run in the thirty odd years I've watched the sport.

To KPC (CC is so last year) teams, the cup is a chance to make some coin (failed this year) and maybe have 15 mins in the limelight like we did last year. It's largely a distraction though, take our seious dip in league form last year for example.

In any case, we have our own cup, that we do have a chance of winning.

#7 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:25 AM

Don't forget that when we last won the cup, we were a top flight team (albeit at the bottom end that season).

I can't think of too many second division clubs having a serious cup run in the thirty odd years I've watched the sport.

To KPC (CC is so last year) teams, the cup is a chance to make some coin (failed this year) and maybe have 15 mins in the limelight like we did last year. It's largely a distraction though, take our seious dip in league form last year for example.

no but if you were playing sl-albeit maybe struggling in sl you would be playing the likes of london every week therefore giving you a better platform for the cc, where in the table where they in 83 when they won it? and where were hull?

#8 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,795 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:19 PM

Weren't Blackpool Borough in the 2nd division when they got to the JPS semi (or final?) in 1979?

#9 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,843 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:15 PM

it was brought in by the rfl and murdoch to do this very thing

no inadvertantly about it

They mak you sick

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#10 JonT

JonT
  • Players
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

I remember watching York come within a whisker of the CC Final in the mid 80s.

#11 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,795 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

I remember watching York come within a whisker of the CC Final in the mid 80s.

1984 I think (or was it 85?) - lost to the Pies

#12 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:08 PM

if a team is in sl then whatever their placing they are playing top teams every week, some may use the cc as a focus but when sl is not an option think it also dents cc ambition too.

#13 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

Kr did ok a few years ago from the lower league in the cc it can happen, even in recent years

#14 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,071 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

When we had one division what was the lowest place a club finished when they won the challenge cup?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#15 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,795 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

When we had one division what was the lowest place a club finished when they won the challenge cup?

Good question - can you enlighten us, or do you not know? I would guess it was at least as high as 20th

#16 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

Haven't got a definitive answer Padge but in 1967 Fev won it from outside the top 16 when they defeated Barrow (who finished 15th).   I think from memory that Fev were 20th that season.(there would be 30 teams in the NRL back then).

Posted Image

#17 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,071 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:44 PM

Good question - can you enlighten us, or do you not know? I would guess it was at least as high as 20th

I don't know, I'm curious. Does someone have the answer?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#18 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,795 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

I don't know, I'm curious. Does someone have the answer?

Ok fair do's - good question anyhow especially if the old lLancs/Yorks leagues are included for the olden days. Not sure it's a standard Rothman's reference answer.....

#19 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:53 PM

Ok fair do's - good question anyhow especially if the old lLancs/Yorks leagues are included for the olden days. Not sure it's a standard Rothman's reference answer.....

I don;t think it is in Rothman's but maybe in a book specifically about the CC.  I think Fev;s 67 win from 20th must be close.

Posted Image

#20 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,135 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

Haven't got a definitive answer Padge but in 1967 Fev won it from outside the top 16 when they defeated Barrow (who finished 15th).   I think from memory that Fev were 20th that season.(

Best hooker in the Furness area....

Best memory in the Furness area....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users