RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Italy (FIRL) News (Merged threads)

RLEF media release

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

FIRL have announced that 'Florence Rugby 1931' will take part in the 2013 Serie 'A' Rugby League championship.  They will be led by former Azzurri international, Argentinean Marcelo Segundo, who played in Italy RL's memorable win over Wales in 2010.

Rosario-born and Director of Youth Rugby at Florence 1931, Segundo said, "As soon as I played a few games I was in love with rugby league.  I played against Germany and Lebanon in the European Shield and then we travelled to North Wales on a memorable night."

Italy have qualified for their first World Cup this autumn and that has added to his desire to set up a rugby league section at Florence 1931.  "Here you can breathe rugby 12 months a year, we have a large player base, two teams at U16 and two in the U20s, they are the future of the club and we do not want to abandon our activity when union ends," Segundo added.

"We think that rugby league is an excellent option. We will start with a team in the coming season and we are already planning to increase our commitment in the future with the addition of a youth sector."

Edited by John Drake, 08 July 2013 - 12:13 PM.

"If we wish to free ourselves from enslavement, we must choose freedom and the responsibility this entails." Leo Buscaglia

#2 Roughyedz

Roughyedz
  • Coach
  • 636 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

we;; its only taken the Italians a few years ......unlike the bigots at Twikkkkkkerrrsss

Posted Image

#3 League Express

League Express
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:09 PM

The Italian Rugby League Federation have overseen the qualification of, appropriately, 13 new coaches following the successful conclusion of their second ever official coaching course.

Andrea Cainer, one of the graduates from Pavia, said, "It was superbly run by the RLIF's Kelly Rolleston in combination with officials from the European Federation and I feel confident to take the lessons back to my club to improve the team."

Riccardo Dodi, new coach of Milan's XIII del Duomo, was in agreement commenting, "The concepts that I learned during this first level course, will enable me to coach in a correct and safe environment, I cannot wait to get started."

Italy now has 22 accredited coaches working in this year's Serie A RL competition.

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#4 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:05 PM

Good stuff - keep it going !

#5 League Express

League Express
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:13 PM

Three more new clubs are scheduled to start the Italian domestic season, which is officially launched at the end of May in Milan.

The structure will see four teams in three conferences - North West, North East and Central - with the three leading sides in each conference and the best runner up overall contesting the semi finals.

North West Roosters, created by two former South African rugby union players, signals the re-introduction of the sport in the Piemonte area, where Turin became Italy's first ever rugby league club in 1949. They will be seeking a berth in the Serie 'A' Grand Final in Modena on July 13, alongside another new club, XIII Ghilandina from the host town in the Emilia-Romagna region.

XIII Ghilandina was formed by Italian international Andrea Sola. "I decided to help develop rugby league in my home town of Modena and to give an opportunity to capable and willing young people to aspire to represent Italy," he said.

Also making their bow are Tirreno Sharks who become the second Tuscan outfit to join the competition, following the recent announcement of dual-code club Florence Rugby 1931. The Sharks draw their players from the historic coastal towns of Piombino, Livorno and Cecina, and will play home games in Via Settembrini in Livorno.

Club founder Edward Pescucci was drawn to rugby league through playing for Coventry University. "I'm sure it will be a baptism of fire at home to Florence, which has Azzuri internationals like Marcelo Segundo and Fabio Nannini and good young quality players," he noted. "Another incentive for our players to do well is the possibility of gaining a place in the Italian national team that will play the European Shield."

Piacenza's XIII Del Ducato will be defending their crown while much is expected of last season's beaten finalists Este Rams who were in their first campaign.

A young side - five of their players represented Italy against Germany at under-18 level - the Rams feel they can go one better this year. "The goal for this season is to win the championship," commented Este manager David Veronese. "The level of competition is steadily increasing and the entry into the championship of teams like Florence, Modena and the Terreno Sharks will continue to raise the level."

Contact FIRL: info@firl.it<mailto:info@firl.it>

PHIL CAPLAN

RLEF MEDIA OFFICER

On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.

#6 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

This is looking pretty good - welcome back Italy to the RL fold !

#7 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:47 PM

By all accounts two decent set ups in Italy..WTF dont they get together to make ONE strong federation...seems like they have not learned from the USA ###### and yet both countries have qualified for the World Cup.
Sense needed guys for the sake of the game more than anything.

#8 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,543 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:01 AM

By all accounts two decent set ups in Italy..WTF dont they get together to make ONE strong federation...seems like they have not learned from the USA ###### and yet both countries have qualified for the World Cup.
Sense needed guys for the sake of the game more than anything.

Either the RLIF should step in and tell the split parties to get around the table, confirm that only one federation is recognised (after looking at both parties, not just blindly going with the original federation) or they suspend the nations from official RLIF sanctioned comps until it's sorted.

rldfsignature.jpg

#9 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:20 PM

Either the RLIF should step in and tell the split parties to get around the table, confirm that only one federation is recognised (after looking at both parties, not just blindly going with the original federation) or they suspend the nations from official RLIF sanctioned comps until it's sorted.

The split in the US seems to be hindering the game. the Canadians seem to be overtaking them after only two or three years since reformation.

#10 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

Before the RLIF steps in the European Federation should get all parties round the table.Italy seem to be the most progressive nation in Europe and two groups who are supposed to be aiming for the same end product need to be brought together.Self interest has to be put to one side and Italy COULD be a viable asset to the international scene.
When I first moved to Holland the Italian RU side was in the same FIRA group as the Dutch...now they are six nations and growing.A solid Italian RL federation could in 10-15 years be competitive against the likes of France,Wales and dare I say it England !!

#11 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 400 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:44 PM

I still don't really have a clue why there are two seperate federations in Italy or what the problem is there. It just seems to be a bunch of jargon and rhetoric coming from both sides whenever the issue is raised.

#12 League Express

League Express
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:16 PM

Using their inaugural appearance in this autumn’s Rugby League World Cup as a springboard, the Federazione Italiana Rugby League is determined to ensure further growth in all areas of the sport.

In addition to an expanded senior men’s competition – which will see 12 teams play in three regions, four of them newcomers - and increased youth activity, FIRL is also restarting women’s rugby league.

In March 2004, Italy’s women's national team played in France against XIII Provencal, with their hosts returning the compliment that July.

In 2007 there was a demonstration game between two women’s rugby league teams in Monselice during the Simone Franchini 9s tournament.

This year FIRL has seen an increase in interest from women players who want to try their hand at rugby league.

As a result, the governing body is organizing some selection matches to help in the selection of the Italian national women's team, which will play at the end of June in an international tournament in Paris.

Coach Alessandro Cuomo said, ”It is an honour for me to assume this role. I am delighted FIRL asked me to restart the women’s national team and look forward to improving their skills and to being very competitive on the field. I am really excited to get to work.”

PHIL CAPLAN

RLEF MEDIA OFFICER

#13 brooza

brooza
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:33 AM

Which one is FIRL again?

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos and St Albans Centurions fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade, Dragones de la Sierra and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#14 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

Which one is FIRL again?

I can't remember, but this is their playing strip...

THE%20PEOPLES%20FRONT%20OF%20JUDEA.JPG

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#15 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 279 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:31 AM

The firl are the recognised body. Though the guys who have the revolution league run that and the cuppa italia, these seem like the most productive of the two with regular news, even tv coverage in Italy, plus the greatest team name in the magnifici Firenze! I like the growth these guys have quickly implemented, though I understand the rift is due to the guy running the firl being in the (allegedly) David nui mould and not being open to power sharing

#16 s2sEagles

s2sEagles
  • Players
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:57 PM

Great news. We are trying to expand our club also with the introduction of U20 and Girls this year.

Our issue is we are the only club at present that is developing these two areas so there are no opposition to play against, and with no games it takes away from the goal of their training to the point where we are loosing girls.

We have to have another look at it and see how we can promote it better to get some exhibition games happening for these two teams.

#17 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 923 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

Great news. We are trying to expand our club also with the introduction of U20 and Girls this year.

Our issue is we are the only club at present that is developing these two areas so there are no opposition to play against, and with no games it takes away from the goal of their training to the point where we are loosing girls.

We have to have another look at it and see how we can promote it better to get some exhibition games happening for these two teams.

Where is your club?
  • MalteseExile likes this

#18 s2sEagles

s2sEagles
  • Players
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:34 PM

Just north of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

#19 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 273 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:06 AM

Just north of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

Haha, just a short trip from the midlands then! Good luck with the girls but IMO RL needs to focus on strong clubs with regular men and boys fixtures/seasons.

#20 s2sEagles

s2sEagles
  • Players
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:47 PM

Just a small hop away lol.

Yeah we focus on recruiting for the senior men's team, then when the roster is full and we have the resources we then look to recruit for the u20 and girls team.

There are lots of girls out there we just have to find and encourage them to come out ha ha

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RLEF media release

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users