Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Italy (FIRL) News (Merged threads)

RLEF media release

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:26 PM

Haha, just a short trip from the midlands then! Good luck with the girls but IMO RL needs to focus on strong clubs with regular men and boys fixtures/seasons.

Not so far from some family tho ;-)

#22 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,402 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

PRESS RELEASE

The Federazione Italiana Rugby League (FIRL) has commenced it's history making World Cup journey with a highly successful gala fundraising dinner at Sydney's LeMontage function centre last Friday night. A capacity crowd of 430 attended the function along with the majority of players, lead by inspirational captain Anthony Minichiello, and a big group of sponsors and supporters.
Channel 9's Erin Molin and Channel 7's newest personality Kris Smith were the MC's for the evening. FIRL President OrazIo D'Arro welcomed the guests and spoke glowingly of the pride and passion of the 2013 team to be led by Sydney Roosters great Minichiello and coached by Carlo Napolitano.
"The team isn't going to the World Cup feeling intimidated. We are going well prepared and confident of success.
"The build up has been professional and well planned. It is the culmination of a lot of hard work by a lot of people," he said.
The President announced and presented appropriate plaques of recognition to Domenico "Mick" Pezzano and John Benigni for reviving the game in 1995 and establishing Italia Rugby League.
Pezzano has now been joined as a life member of the FIRL by Benigni.
Coach Carlo Napolitano said he was delighted by the response of the players who will be named in the squad on October First.
"They are all eager to represent their heritage and families. They are proud of their Italian blood and will represent the Azzurri with a lot of pride and passion.
"The team will be the best to ever represent Italy in Rugby League. The bulk of the squad will come from the elite NRL competition and the NRL clubs should be congratulated for making their players available," Napolitano said.
Special guests at the dinner included New Zealand captain Kieran Foran and his Manly team mates Glenn Stewart and Joe Gulavao and Canterbury star Tony Williams, Foran will be the youngest captain in The World Cup.
He expressed the opinion that Italy was a "dark horse" for the World Cup."The team will be a strong one - especially up front in the forwards.
"Mini will be a great inspiration as captain but the team is strong all over. The buzz of everyone at the dinner is impressive," Foran said.
Italy's playing strip at the World Cup will again feature long time sponsor Warburn Estate wines from the Griffith region of NSW, Warburn Estate chief Joe Sergi attended the dinner and again confirmed his support for the team.
And in a real coup the NSW Riverina town of Griffith will be a sleeve sponsor for the tour. Griffith has a big Italian community and the team will showcase the town and its attractions to a wide audience in Europe, Britain and Australia via television coverage of the World Cup. Italy will have a warm up game against England at Salford on Saturday, October 19 and commence its Cup campaign a week later in Cardiff against Wales.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#23 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 288 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

The FIRL do nothing to grow the game domestically. I hope that team of Ozzies get peppered every game to be honest. Let the FIRFL run the game in the interests of Italians.

#24 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,402 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

The FIRL do nothing to grow the game domestically. I hope that team of Ozzies get peppered every game to be honest. Let the FIRFL run the game in the interests of Italians.

Or just bang all their heads together and officially recognise none of them until they agree to work as one.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#25 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 288 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:06 AM

I don't agree with that. The rlef should sort this by backing the side working in the games best interest. The World Cup lot have refused to work together twice already. Same in the USA. Bin the incumbents and back the ones growing the game with actual kpis to stop the ###### that currently goes on. The Italians won't pick players from the only real domestic comp, the amnrl have one token guy. Jokers. Sack them all

#26 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 288 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:07 AM

Show them the same diplomacy they have shown others

#27 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,402 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:53 AM

I don't agree with that. The rlef should sort this by backing the side working in the games best interest. The World Cup lot have refused to work together twice already. Same in the USA. Bin the incumbents and back the ones growing the game with actual kpis to stop the ###### that currently goes on. The Italians won't pick players from the only real domestic comp, the amnrl have one token guy. Jokers. Sack them all

I doubt either side thinks they are working against the game's interests, they'll both think their approach is the best, that's the problem. Who's right, who's wrong, it's all subjective depending on whose side of the story you believe. The RLEF have made a choice, but taking sides is pointless IMO. I'd strip them of all recognition and support until they find a way of working together. Those who genuinely want to be involved in and advance the sport in Italy will find a way to do that. Those who can't do that shouldn't be involved in it anyway.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#28 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

I doubt either side thinks they are working against the game's interests, they'll both think their approach is the best, that's the problem. Who's right, who's wrong, it's all subjective depending on whose side of the story you believe. The RLEF have made a choice, but taking sides is pointless IMO. I'd strip them of all recognition and support until they find a way of working together. Those who genuinely want to be involved in and advance the sport in Italy will find a way to do that. Those who can't do that shouldn't be involved in it anyway.

What if the RLEF took the approach you suggest John and both factions end up walking away from the game and RL in Italy collapses again?

rldfsignature.jpg

#29 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,402 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

What if the RLEF took the approach you suggest John and both factions end up walking away from the game and RL in Italy collapses again?

If they did that it would suggest to me that their commitment to the game was a bit thin, if arguing the toss over who gets to wear the 'official' blazer is more important to them than finding the best way to work together for the benefit of the game, rather than a few individual egos.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#30 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:48 AM

If I've learned one thing in my time following RL and this forum it is that if you ask 50 RL supporters what is in the best interests of the game you are likely to get more than 50 contradictory answers.

I would hold the International governing body to account ultimately, they allow expansion to be piecemeal and led by ex pat Aussies setting up "International" teams based in Parramatta because they are not strong enough to stand up to the NRL and tell them what is in the long term best interests of the game. This opens the entire sport up to ridicule and, in my view, sets back the actual development of domestic competition.

A strong governing body has a clear vision and long term plans for the future and growth of the sport. Look at the development and strategy pageson the International Cycling Union or PGA's websites or as bit closer to home look at the IRB's plans or the RFU. All of them have clear well laid out strategies supported with money, coaching and facilities. Rugby League seems to have too many people confusing their own ambition with what is best for the sport.

Now where did I leave it..

Oh yes

helmet_m1917a1.jpg

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#31 IM2

IM2
  • Coach
  • 834 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:14 PM

I am in Tuscany for a week. Any games I can go and watch? Tx

Season Tickets 2014
- �85 - season ticket
- �125 - family ticket
- �30 - 4 game pack

skolars shop here:
http://www.skolarsrl.../match-tickets/

Haringey Team of the Year 2014 Skolars U19s

Haringey Club of the year 2011
London RL Club of the year 2011

Skolars if Carlsberg made rugby clubs! Perhaps Leagues most progressive club!

#32 IM2

IM2
  • Coach
  • 834 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

I am in Tuscany for a week. Any games I can go and watch? Tx

Season Tickets 2014
- �85 - season ticket
- �125 - family ticket
- �30 - 4 game pack

skolars shop here:
http://www.skolarsrl.../match-tickets/

Haringey Team of the Year 2014 Skolars U19s

Haringey Club of the year 2011
London RL Club of the year 2011

Skolars if Carlsberg made rugby clubs! Perhaps Leagues most progressive club!

#33 Italia RFL

Italia RFL
  • Twitter
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:07 AM

Unfortunately no. all union training. Joel

#34 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:56 AM

italy-rl.jpg

Leoni Veneti reclaimed the Italian State of Origin crown with a 40-30 win over Longobardi in Piacenza.
In a tough, committed contest, the added incentive for the players was a potential place in the Italian side to take on Germany this weekend in the European Shield.
Leoni led 18-6 at the break thanks to tries from Cerza, Verardi and Ciaurro, all golaed by Cerza; Longobardi skipper Franchi with their touchdown, converted by Peens.
Longobardi dominated the opening exchanges of the second period, racing to a 24-18 lead by the 52nd minute thanks to tries from Ilinca, Ceretti and Celerino, Peens with the extras to all of them.
Just before the hour Zorzada crossed and Cerza converted to level, as Leoni began to take control.
Tries by D'Elia after 67 minutes, Boscolo four minutes later and then Genesini, Cerza goaling two of them, established a winning lead.
A Barani try and Robuschi goal narrowed the margin but were consolation for Longobardi, who won the corresponding fixture 54-0 last year; Leoni taking a 2-1 lead in the annual series as a result.
"I saw my players perform with a lot of determination and desire to contest every ball, that approach was the key to victory,” said Leoni coach Tiziano Franchini. “All the players have shown that the Italian Rugby League is growing and that the work we are doing is paying off. "
Longobardi opposite number Kelly Rolleston agreed. “It was a good game, tough and fast. It’s great for Italian rugby league to see that the North East and Central division's are becoming more competitive. I am extremely happy to see new faces pushing hard for inclusion in the next European Shield match.”
National coach Paul Broadbent watched on with interest. “I saw many new faces who want to shine at international level,” he commented. "it wont be easy to make the choices on who will be selected, which is just the kind of headache we want.”

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users