Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

7 Reasons why Steve McNamara should wake up, smell the coffee and.....

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:13 AM

......pick proper halfbacks in the England side.

1) Kevin Sinfield is a great player for Leeds but England won't win the World Cup with him in the halves (I wouldn't even have him in the starting 13)
2) one thing we will have is a monster pack, so it'd be silly not to pick halfbacks who can take advantage of being on the front foot.
3) Gareth Widdop is carving it up in the NRL; why would he not be first in line for the number six jersey????
4) Matt Smith is improving all the time for Wigan. He might not be a world class No.7 yet but Sinfield NEVER will be!
5) Brough may well have driven over McNamara's cat for all I know, but the fact remains that he's been the dominant English half in super league. Swallow your pride, admit you were wrong and pick him before he decides he's Scottish again!
6) how many England/GB coaches have to lose series with locks playing in the halves before the penny drops? It doesn't work!
7) as Wayne Bennett once wrote: "if you do what you always did, you'll get what you always got."

Come on McNamara, make a smart choice for once. We may not win the World Cup anyway, but let's at least give it a bloody good go!

Edited by Pottsy, 21 April 2013 - 11:27 AM.

#2 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:51 AM

The decision not to start a top class stand off who's plying his trade in the NRL is a good enough reason alone for giving McNamara the sack. But he wouldn't be the first England/GB coach to play loose forwards at stand off, I seem to remember another genius in andy Goodway picking andy Farrell at stand off for all 3 tests in the 1997 "super league" test series against Australia with Sean long on the bench and playing Paul Scunthorpe at stand off against the kiwis in 1998 with iyestan Harris on the bench.

#3 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

There seems to be a flawed logic where England coaches set up the team to 'not lose' rather than to win. The irony being we usually lose anyway

#4 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,882 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:05 PM

With regard to Widdop, it's like Northern Ireland refusing to pick George Best because he played in the English league. Totally stupid and self defeating.

#5 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

With regard to Widdop, it's like Northern Ireland refusing to pick George Best because he played in the English league. Totally stupid and self defeating.

Did this actually happen ?

#6 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,882 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

Did this actually happen ?

No it didn't. The Northern Irish are not as stupid as the coach with the irish name.

#7 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

You didn't see George Best trying to become "English" just to get a run at a World Cup either.

rldfsignature.jpg

#8 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

......pick proper halfbacks in the England side.

1) Kevin Sinfield is a great player for Leeds but England won't win the World Cup with him in the halves (I wouldn't even have him in the starting 13)
2) one thing we will have is a monster pack, so it'd be silly not to pick halfbacks who can take advantage of being on the front foot.
3) Gareth Widdop is carving it up in the NRL; why would he not be first in line for the number six jersey????
4) Matt Smith is improving all the time for Wigan. He might not be a world class No.7 yet but Sinfield NEVER will be!
5) Brough may well have driven over McNamara's cat for all I know, but the fact remains that he's been the dominant English half in super league. Swallow your pride, admit you were wrong and pick him before he decides he's Scottish again!
6) how many England/GB coaches have to lose series with locks playing in the halves before the penny drops? It doesn't work!
7) as Wayne Bennett once wrote: "if you do what you always did, you'll get what you always got."

Come on McNamara, make a smart choice for once. We may not win the World Cup anyway, but let's at least give it a bloody good go!

Disagree with most of this. England have changed loads of things between the last world cup in 2008 and this one. People who think Sinfield play loose forward just because he wears 13 really show their ignorance of the game.

England need a combination in the halves that can play together. Widdop complements Cronk at Melbourne. They play very different roles. Brough & Sinfield play the same role. The bloke in charge! Brough is so unreliable. There is a reason why despite all his talent he has been at Wakefield, York, Cas, Hull & Huddersfield, rather than Wigan, Leeds, Saints & Wire.

It's almost certain that Sinfield & Widdop will be the halves for the World Cup. Chase has been going backwards since he won Man of Steal and if he returns to Oz that will even bring an end to his availability to be part of the Club England get togethers, so he won't even have that in his favour.

All the players say what a pleasure it is to be part of the England set up. That is down to MacNamara, and is a huge step forward from just a few years ago.

#9 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:27 PM

Whilst i have doubts over Sinfield being the England half back to call him a loose forward is crazy he wont have played there for three seasons by the world cup. Personally I'd pick him along side widdop as brough seems a bit hot and cold as does chase. Don't see Smith as England class but not seen to much of him this year to make a fair comment.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#10 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:02 PM

Disagree with most of this. England have changed loads of things between the last world cup in 2008 and this one. People who think Sinfield play loose forward just because he wears 13 really show their ignorance of the game.

England need a combination in the halves that can play together. Widdop complements Cronk at Melbourne. They play very different roles. Brough & Sinfield play the same role. The bloke in charge! Brough is so unreliable. There is a reason why despite all his talent he has been at Wakefield, York, Cas, Hull & Huddersfield, rather than Wigan, Leeds, Saints & Wire.

It's almost certain that Sinfield & Widdop will be the halves for the World Cup. Chase has been going backwards since he won Man of Steal and if he returns to Oz that will even bring an end to his availability to be part of the Club England get togethers, so he won't even have that in his favour.

All the players say what a pleasure it is to be part of the England set up. That is down to MacNamara, and is a huge step forward from just a few years ago.

It's always a nice surprise to be accused of "ignorance" by someone who names himself after one of the worst clubs in the history of the Rugby League Conference Conference but I'll let that slide and bow to your vast knowledge.

Joking aside, I'm fully aware that Sinfield has played standoff for Leeds for several years and, at club level, is a fantastic game manager.

But that does not make him a world class standoff, and I think that fact has largely been borne out whenever he's been asked to step up to the very highest level (his best international performance was as a makeshift hooker!).

I think it's also fair to say that part of the drive behind Sinfield's move from lock has been down to the changing nature of the position in the past 3-4 years; Sinfield simply doesn't have the physical presence needed to be a top-class 13 (see Sam Burgess/Paul Gallen's performances in recent weeks to find out what a modern 13 needs to do).

Sadly for Kevin, as great a player though he is for Leeds, he lacks the cutting edge to be a Test standard half.

Apologies for my "ignorance" but I stand by my opinion that we're unlikely to triumph in a World Cup/Test series with Sinfield as a starting halfback.

#11 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,095 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

It's always a nice surprise to be accused of "ignorance" by someone who names himself after one of the worst clubs in the history of the Rugby League Conference Conference but I'll let that slide and bow to your vast knowledge.

Joking aside, I'm fully aware that Sinfield has played standoff for Leeds for several years and, at club level, is a fantastic game manager.

But that does not make him a world class standoff, and I think that fact has largely been borne out whenever he's been asked to step up to the very highest level (his best international performance was as a makeshift hooker!).

I think it's also fair to say that part of the drive behind Sinfield's move from lock has been down to the changing nature of the position in the past 3-4 years; Sinfield simply doesn't have the physical presence needed to be a top-class 13 (see Sam Burgess/Paul Gallen's performances in recent weeks to find out what a modern 13 needs to do).

Sadly for Kevin, as great a player though he is for Leeds, he lacks the cutting edge to be a Test standard half.

Apologies for my "ignorance" but I stand by my opinion that we're unlikely to triumph in a World Cup/Test series with Sinfield as a starting halfback.

Could that be due to the fact that we don't have a test standard half.Anywhere.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#12 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

Could that be due to the fact that we don't have a test standard half.Anywhere.

That may be the case but what concerns me is McNamara's seeming inability to look properly at the alternatives.

Brough and Smith might not be up to the job but I'd be looking at them both very closely.

McNamara seems to have made a conscious decision to ostracise Brough and has almost created a situation where every time the lad puts in a match winning performance it makes him look a little more foolish.

#13 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,095 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:34 PM

That may be the case but what concerns me is McNamara's seeming inability to look properly at the alternatives.

Brough and Smith might not be up to the job but I'd be looking at them both very closely.

McNamara seems to have made a conscious decision to ostracise Brough and has almost created a situation where every time the lad puts in a match winning performance it makes him look a little more foolish.

For every match winning performance you invariably get a couple of "invisible man" performances from Brough.Smith isn't there yet but Sinfield and Widdop would be my partnership for the WC.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 21 April 2013 - 05:39 PM.

#14 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

I'm not arguing that Sinfield is a "world class stand-off". We need two half backs who can complement each other. With what we've got available, I can't see a better combination than Sinfield & Widdop. Anyone who argues for Brough for England has clearly not watched him on a regular basis. He had his chance against the Exiles last year, and typical of Brough he failed to deliver when it mattered.

#15 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:41 PM

For every match winning performance you invariably get a couple of "invisible man" performances from Brough.Smith isn't there yet but Sinfield and Widdop would be my partnership for the WC.

I think that will be the pairing. I just hope that Brough is able to force McNamara's hand because I believe that, on his day, he's capable of posing far more questions to Australia/NZ than Sinfield.

#16 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:43 PM

I'm not arguing that Sinfield is a "world class stand-off". We need two half backs who can complement each other. With what we've got available, I can't see a better combination than Sinfield & Widdop. Anyone who argues for Brough for England has clearly not watched him on a regular basis. He had his chance against the Exiles last year, and typical of Brough he failed to deliver when it mattered.

So one bad game in a nothing game rules him out for good? I don't really follow that logic.

What about all the ineffectual games Sinfield has had for Eng/GB? Do they not count?

Edited by Pottsy, 21 April 2013 - 05:44 PM.

#17 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,095 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:46 PM

I think that will be the pairing. I just hope that Brough is able to force McNamara's hand because I believe that, on his day, he's capable of posing far more questions to Australia/NZ than Sinfield.

Sinfield is also captain,who would you have leading the side?

#18 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:50 PM

Sinfield is also captain,who would you have leading the side?

That's the danger with naming a captain who isn't necessarily the standout in his position.

Out of the 13 I'd pick, Burgess would probably be my skipper.

#19 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:52 PM

i would like to see widdop and a "fit "-"in form" rob burrow working behind a pack inc burgess graham hock and o loughlin

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#20 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,095 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:04 PM

Burrow has been found out,too often he is caught in possession.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users