Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

HAWKS v CATALANS.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

Result -- HAWKS 12 CATALANS 50

as expected.

we got the referee AGAIN who can't see forward passes or knock ons.

Great try by Grimmer near the end and Welham did get over the line, and should have been rewarded with a try.

#2 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 434 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

Some poor defending added to the result. But Catalans played some good rugby, it was a delight seeing a team having wingers hugging both touch lines, something rarely seen.
On to the ref, he allowed Catalans constantly to play the ball moving away from the spot they were tackled and allowing them to constantly hold Down but penalise hunslet 4 Times for holding. Plus not sure how 3 officials missed the most blatant knock on before half time. Either they are all incompent or saw it & decided to ignore it, which is cheating. However on the plus side they sent off Henderson otherwise it would of been 80 points for them.

#3 Castleford Hawk

Castleford Hawk
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:02 PM

Today was always about damage limitation. I thought we did alright against a very good team, their kicking game was excellent.

A big plus for us was the performance of Yates', immense again.

Another positive was the attendance. 600, with no away fans, shows there is potential to grow our support. Well done to the marketing team for the way they turned a disastrous draw around.

Let's see everyone back for the York match.

Hunslet: STILL the city's only club to win all competitions in one season.

#4 sgt pepper

sgt pepper
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

A negative is the bar. It's a joke. People were walking away at half time. We are losing money. HIST have made a massive mistake sacking the previous bar staff and it needs sorting

#5 hunslet ramone

hunslet ramone
  • Coach
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:49 PM

Never thought we would win this one today, and rightly so that we got beat today, but the ref made sure of that , he wanted Catalans in the next round no matter what.Penalty count 0.9 against first half,I think That's what Barry Eaton said after the game. Catalans player Henderson would not have been sent off , if not for the two touch judges. 

#6 allanblue

allanblue
  • Players
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:12 PM

I totally agree with sgt peppar I've been going to south leeds since it opened I was queuing into other room I walked away where losing more money than gaining it

#7 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 876 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:14 PM

I didn't think we were too bad today, certainly better than the last few times against Super League opposition, and if I'm being honest, a better scoreline than I anticipated.

A positive was that we were seemed capable of getting over the advantage line - even if we did only manage to convert two chances into tries, and some credit has to go to the forwards - Yates especially, who caused them real trouble on occasions. Thought Grimmer went a lot better this week, though why he keeps cropping up on the right is a mystery; he can be lethal attacking the left side, as his try today showed.

Nothing against either Kain or Pryce but together they must have made the slowest wing pair in the tournament this afternoon. Kain needs to be at full back - simple as.

Seems it's written in the bye-laws of the game that we have to be 16-0 after the first quarter before we start playing. PLEASE let's get this sorted for the next two league games !!

So another "Curate's Egg" performance but a reasonable effort against full-time opposition ... I've come home in much worse moods on Sunday nights - some of them this season !

PS, a mate of mine plays 5-a-side with George Stokes every week ... there's a couple of pints for him next time I see him, if he gives him a little bit of "special attention" this week ... ;)

#8 paul

paul
  • Players
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:11 PM

What is the postive of getting a crowd of 600 against a Super League side?Wake up RFL muppets and start looking after teams below Super League.

#9 maccca-6-

maccca-6-
  • Coach
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:17 PM

Worst bar in rl FACT.
hunslet hawks champions 2010

#10 MiBoy

MiBoy
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

A great effort from 1 to 17 but a big rap must go to the pack today especially Yates and Menzies.

#11 noname6

noname6
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

you guys going to be providing the money to extend the bar?

#12 sgt pepper

sgt pepper
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:36 AM

you guys going to be providing the money to extend the bar?

it's always been that size that's not the problem. HIST have done some brilliant things since taking over but the organisation of the bar is laughable

#13 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:57 AM

Thoght there was more than 600 there.

I believe HIST are trying to get the council to let them use the other downstairs bar as well as it's not used on match days.

Back to the game-- agree with all thats been said about ANDY YATES.-- he might end up going to the Rhinos on  Dual Reg before the end of the season

Catalans moved the ball out wide from the play the balls with their back rowers and centres running on to it. We opt to go down the middle even with a extra man. Noticed Barry Eaton down on the touchline near the end screaming at Luke Haigh to move the ball out wide.

Think at present we are lacking a leader out on the field. 

#14 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 876 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:11 AM

I thought we moved the ball about a bit more than some of the games recently. But we never START like that ... it's almost a case of "let's see what the other team can do first, before we show our hand" ... followed after twenty minutes (and 12/16/20 points down) with "well we've nothing to lose now, let's give it a go ..."

We are perfectly capable of beating ALL teams in this league from sixth down (and maybe one or two even higher) IF we play a proper, full eighty minutes. 

#15 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,094 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

What is the postive of getting a crowd of 600 against a Super League side?Wake up RFL muppets and start looking after teams below Super League.

Whats that got to do with the  RFL,a SL club play Hunslet in the cup and people can't be bothered watching.Hardly the fault of the RFL.I know Hunslet did a lot to promote the game,it's down to people to get to the game.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 22 April 2013 - 08:11 AM.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#16 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

Decent effort against a top class side.

Yates MOM by a mile, thought Watson did a lot of good hard work and Menzies did well.

Kainy not a winger, Wilson looked off the pace and i think its time Marchy had a rest.

Still need more from our half backs.

Pleased with the crowd, was expecting around 300 when the draw was made so to double that was a good effort, and proof that our marketing campaign last two weeks payed off. Lets hope many fans use the vouchers for next week and come back for the York game.

Got to agree about the Phoenix bar yesterday, the queues were massive all throughout the day, We need more staff on a match day and its something that needs resolving asap.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#17 henage

henage
  • Coach
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

moving forward whilst playing the ball , needs sorting out  

Some poor defending added to the result. But Catalans played some good rugby, it was a delight seeing a team having wingers hugging both touch lines, something rarely seen.
On to the ref, he allowed Catalans constantly to play the ball moving away from the spot they were tackled and allowing them to constantly hold Down but penalise hunslet 4 Times for holding. Plus not sure how 3 officials missed the most blatant knock on before half time. Either they are all incompent or saw it & decided to ignore it, which is cheating. However on the plus side they sent off Henderson otherwise it would of been 80 points for them.

#18 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

I forgot to mention Stokes too, how his he refereeing at this level? Absolutely incompetent, Giving a penalty to Catalans on the second tackle of the game for holding down! Missing basic decisions, getting basic calls wrong, if i was from the RFL watching his performance yesterday id have banned him from refereeing next week.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#19 Green Brigade

Green Brigade
  • Coach
  • 159 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:16 PM

It doesn't matter if its the first tackle Gaz if he is holding him down then it's a penalty.

#20 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:46 PM

BLACKPOOL-- there was someone from the RL there-- the Match Commiissioner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users