Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Now we can concentrate on the league...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 glemiln

glemiln
  • Coach
  • 192 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

.. hope we picked up some valuable experience but no injuries in today's 10-70 loss.  I hoped for more than than the 1700+ crowd, but at least a few more ££'s for the coffers.

We seem to have done not too badly against top SL opposition?

#2 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

I was proud of the squad today. They buckled down to some hard graft and never stopped trying to pull some points back even when it was obvious they were getting a good hiding. The Bulls were bigger, stronger, faster and yes even better than us but they are full-time and should be!

For me the performance was everything and everyone really put their hand up for the hard work and we even managed to put one or two over on the Bulls at times. The referee was a little hard to understand at times he appeared more patient with tacklers when we had the ball than when Bradford were in possession. When you look at the point that if he hadn't had a brain-fart just on half-time and got the put in right Hornets would have gone in 6-24, as it was it was 6-30 which looks a lot worse somehow.

In the second half we got a bit weary at times but the forwards kept trying to run the ball in and the halves kept spraying it around the backs who responded well. The Bulls ran in some late points that somewhat flattered them but this is the Challenge Cup and if you win by 1 or 100 you only get into the next round, I bet Bradford wish they could have 'banked' a few of those points for the next round eh?? On the whole 10-70 doesn't look too bad when you consider Hull K.R. got tatered by 84 in a leaque game a couple of weeks ago!!!

It's South Wales next up, we really must win that one with Crusaders and Skolars at home in the offing.

Well done lads.

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

War doesn't decide who is right, just who is left!

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#3 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 772 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:39 PM

Great effort from 1-17 never backed down but like you said they were bigger and faster than us.Ref made some strange decisions but at the end it wasn't down to him.We need to take what we have learnt from this into the league season and use it to our advantage.

Lets all get down to Neath next week and back the boys.
Success does not consists in never making blunders,but in never making the same one the second time.

#4 TT Bellies

TT Bellies
  • Facebook
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:00 PM

As a Bulls supporter, have to say that your guys played a great game. Obviously with a superleague team having full time players and, more than likely, more money they are bound to have the edge. That said, spirit and sheer guts don't come from full time or money and your guys had that in buckets. Great game and really made us work for it. Regarding Hicks as ref, well that's pretty standard performance for him. Could have been worse and you got Tim Roby who is the worst I have ever seen. Hope it was a decent amount of money you got for today's gate and good luck in the league.

#5 DaveButt

DaveButt
  • Coach
  • 240 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

Our lads gave of their best but at the end of the day we were well beaten by a much better team as is to be expected. If that is a standard performance by the ref Hicks then I cannot understand how the R.L. still accept him.
Some of his calls were pathetic. One for instance was the second from last try in the first half scored, and I use the word scored loosely,. The player bounced the ball over the line, it bounced at least three times without any control, yet the knob still allowed it despite it being straight in front of him. Will be very interesting to see what the penalty score was. As said this is not sour grapes but I must say that is the worst performance by officials in all of my 50 or so years watching rugby. I just hope the R.L. take a close look at their performance today.

#6 fillipo del toro

fillipo del toro
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:27 AM

From 1-17 i was proud of the lads. The Bulls - Simple. Fitter, Bigger, Faster, Stronger but our lads give it 100%. Yes i was bemused by some of Hicks decisions. It seemed like any 50/50's we just didnt get. The ones that puzzled me was Roper (a midget, bit of a clue ref) tackled with the ball in the air, resulating in a knock on which the Bulls scored the first try. The bouncing of the ball for another try that others have eluded to. And the last one was Dave Hulls knock on with the Bradford player sprawling all over hime after the shout of held.

The thing that struck me yesterday was The Bulls sickening skill to punish the slightest mistake. Clinical and a huge marker the Hornets team need to take out of the game.
I thought Jarrod Sammut was class. As strong as an ox for a small guy and quick with it.

As others have said, great to see a SL outfit up at Spotland. But the bread and butter starts next Sunday in Neath. Lets not make the mistake that Oldham did last season when they lost to Saints in the cup. The wheels fell off for them after that. We need to take the positives out of yesterdays game and be as ruthless as The Bulls where.
Phil Bull.

Hopefully my post are viewed as positive, and I cannot be held responsible for causing any offence to anyone associated with this message board

#7 Lakeside

Lakeside
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

Totally agree the lads did us proud yesterday and battled to the final hooter. But just what has happend to Rugby League in Rochdale - 1700 v a Super League team is pathetic. The public of Rochdale should be ashamed.

#8 fillipo del toro

fillipo del toro
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

Totally agree the lads did us proud yesterday and battled to the final hooter. But just what has happend to Rugby League in Rochdale - 1700 v a Super League team is pathetic. The public of Rochdale should be ashamed.

If anyone can answer Lakesides final point they can have the star prize. Its long baffled many. I am sure The Dale scratch thier heads with this one as well. But in a nutshell, the towns folk in the main care about there sports teams, but simply remain completely non commital in parting with any money or effort in supporting them.
Phil Bull.

Hopefully my post are viewed as positive, and I cannot be held responsible for causing any offence to anyone associated with this message board

#9 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 772 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

they would rather support  Wigan, Saints, Bulls, Rhinos etc or on the football side United,City,Bolton even Burnley than their own town clubs.Its a problem that has been going on for years and i wish i had the answer to getting them involved at a local level.

Success does not consists in never making blunders,but in never making the same one the second time.

#10 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

Attendences at Challenge Cup early round games are poor all over - and that is because they are not watching a competitive match but a parade or lambs to the slaughter.

No disespect to any of the Hornets squad (or any of the other championship teams who got drilled). The challenge cup is a joke until the quarter finals. Why would anybody part with hard earned money to go to a game for which the result is known beforehand.

The FA Cup still has shocks, every round every year. The challenge cup - you can count the number of shocks (teams from lower divisions beating teams from higher divisions) over the last 5 years on one hand (and I think have enough fingers left to pick your nose).

Dont blame the public, blame the product. Companies who produce products that nobody wants go out of business, quickly. The RFL have achieved this with the Challenge Cup.

#11 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:55 PM

I've been of the opinion for a good while now that any club outside Super League would be better off not being in the Challenge Cup at all. There used to be the chance of a decent crowd if you got a 'big boy' but as has been said not any more. There also used to be a bit of money depending on how far you got in the tournament but I think that has been eroded now. A few seasons ago the league withheld part of the money and gave the clubs tickets to sell in lieu. However these tickets were the ones hardest to get rid of and I would imagine most if not all ended up losing cash on the issue.

If all the C.C.1 clubs refused to enter the comp there's not much they could do.

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

War doesn't decide who is right, just who is left!

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users