Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

oxford game

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 johnt

johnt
  • Players
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

Just registered on the forum, though I check on it regularly, but I felt that I had to write something about the defeat today and this season generally.

I've followed ORLFC for 45+years, first professional sport I went to with my dad, and then with friends etc, quite often home and away, until approx 8 years ago when I thought enough is enough the club cannot sink any further, and I won't return until significant change happens. Well change has happened, the situation is now the worst I can ever remember. That includes when Oldham folded, I owned a small number of shares, but you always thought someone would move in to resurrect the club. That person was CH and fair play to him, I supported his efforts at the time and thought if we can get going then others will move in to continue the long history and legacy that this town has provided the great sport of RL.

But Oldham are now playing in a ground that;

• Cannot attract decent players 
  • Would not be allowed to be promoted

And with a team of young players who may turn out to be great players, but need experienced guidance both on and off the pitch

So what needs to happen? I would say the following;

• The club need to forget this season for promotion, seeing it as a trial for the young players to see who will make the grade
  • Get some experienced players in, both on and off the park (perhaps ex Oldham players for the latter) to work with the young players
  • Break whatever tenuous links are in place with Salford
  • Instigate immediate negotiations with Oldham Athletic/Council or whoever to get the club back to ground sharing with OAFC at Boundary Park
  • Once the ground sharing is achieved CH to put the club up for sale on the basis of using BP to whoever wishes to own/invest in it, CH to walk away with his head held high for having saved the club when it folded
  • Scrap the under 20s and work with the local clubs (Saddleworth, St Annes, Waterhead) to nurture local talent for feeding into OAFC
  • Players to be paid a % of the gate money, once tax/expenses etc have been deducted, so that they have an immediate incentive to play better/win games to attract larger attendances. This would also mean that the club could never go bankrupt (unless gate money didn't even cover costs with players wages!, in which case the club cannot exist)
  • The official club supporters club to have an elected member on the board working with the new owners and feeding back to the fans
  • Once all the above are in place to apply for automatic promotion rather than go through another season in this poor division, or if that isn't possible then to make sure they are promoted automatically next season 

Oldham needs a RL team, and RL needs a team in Oldham given its history and provision of great players both in the past and now.

#22 HARRYRUBY

HARRYRUBY
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

Know where you are coming from. I don't post on forums as a rule, being content to lurk in the background and read all the informed, and not so informed comment. 

But l come from the days of watching Ganley, Davies, Stirrup, Noon, Little, Pitchford, and the like. I cannot imagine the pain that fellow long term / and not so long term supporters are feeling at the demise of our once great club. At least l have my memories from the fifties.

Totally agree. You are talking about great players many who were international and we were among the best teams in the league. 

It is doubtful if we will ever see that standard in an Oldham shirt again.

#23 parigby

parigby
  • Players
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:07 PM

For me this was one (of two games ) we just HAD to win at all costs. Afterall, the opposition consisted mainly of players that we (the club) decided weren't good enough to get us out of this division last year, and therefore would not be good enough this year. Are coached by a guy who likewise was not good enough to get us out of this division for the duration of his tenure with us, and was decreed to be not good enough to do the job this year.

By default it was implied that the new coaching team and the new playing staff would be good enough, otherwise, why change.

At this stage, words begin to fail me.

#24 higgy

higgy
  • 335 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

Always the optimist, at least Rochdale lost so in reality today has cost us little. Oxford were always going to be up for this game for obvious reasons. We were short of agression up front today I thought. Naylor and Spanner will reflect on this and maybe shake things up for the next game.Neither will take this defeat lying down.

Must keep getting behind the lads and the coach.Nothing else will achieve anything.

Once again an half decent crowd by our standards and we shoot ourselves in the foot with a P--s poor performance. We should not even be looking at Rochdale's result its our performance that counts. Can anyone explain why Naylor and Spanner stood on the scaffolding rather than be in the dugout, we are not a Super Dooper League club were they can issue orders from the stand?

#25 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 560 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:39 PM

I was thinking of just posting a blank post. Because, to be honest, words fail me!.........

#26 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 907 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:39 PM

Spanner & Scott are in communication at all times with the dug out via the radio. Standing on the scaffold is a better vantage point than the crowded dug out view you would get at Whitebank.

#27 bigred

bigred
  • Coach
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:24 PM

That league table today represents a low point in the clubs history I never ever thought I would see after over 40 years of watching the club!
This was inevitable to anyone with an ounce of common sense when that coach from Salford was appointed! Hardly hit the high points as a player and looks like doing less so in a coaching role!
It's time for even the most blinkered of supporters to take a step back and realise that they need to stay away and force the megalomaniac's hand!
There will be no change to how the club is being operated (run into the ground) unless his hand is forced financially. Either through the sale of the club or through closure and possible reformation!
Let's face it even having no club at all is probably preferable to the present disgrace and shame!

#28 Ex-scrumhalf

Ex-scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 104 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:05 PM

What's the answer? Seriously were would you start. Hamilton doesn't take the field the players do, are the players not good enough? The coach? Or does Hamilton need to find investment for better players.

First of all we have to admit that the players are not good enough at this point in time. It may be that in two, maybe three years, they will be better players with enough ability and experience to get us out of this awful predicament, but I don't think wholesale changes are needed, It just needs two or three really experienced players to guide us round the park and put the frighteners on the opposition. They are too young and too inexperienced to do the job we want. But Hamilton will not be interested in any of our remarks. I have no idea what he earns from the club. I know what is alleged, and if it is true it may well be that he is happy to soldier on with his £xxxxx thousand pound income and have no concern for how well the club does. I can only say that an average of five to six hundred attendances will dwindle to two to three hundred next year if we are still in this division. I totally agree that we do not need to have the under 20s side at a time when we should be investing in a team to get us up a division. It's all very well to say that several have come through the ranks but they are not good enough to get us where we NEED to be to survive. I seriously want to be back watching Oldham but I won't do it until I see signs that good decisions are being made that will ensure our promotion and future. It may be time to think about the club folding and the supporters taking over with a properly run board and a completely new set up. As it stands the club is only going one way. Out of existence. 

#29 higgy

higgy
  • 335 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:33 PM

Just registered on the forum, though I check on it regularly, but I felt that I had to write something about the defeat today and this season generally.

I've followed ORLFC for 45+years, first professional sport I went to with my dad, and then with friends etc, quite often home and away, until approx 8 years ago when I thought enough is enough the club cannot sink any further, and I won't return until significant change happens. Well change has happened, the situation is now the worst I can ever remember. That includes when Oldham folded, I owned a small number of shares, but you always thought someone would move in to resurrect the club. That person was CH and fair play to him, I supported his efforts at the time and thought if we can get going then others will move in to continue the long history and legacy that this town has provided the great sport of RL.

And with a team of young players who may turn out to be great players, but need experienced guidance both on and off the pitch

• The club need to forget this season for promotion, seeing it as a trial for the young players to see who will make the grade
  • Get some experienced players in, both on and off the park (perhaps ex Oldham players for the latter) to work with the young players
  • Instigate immediate negotiations with Oldham Athletic/Council or whoever to get the club back to ground sharing with OAFC at Boundary Park
  • Once the ground sharing is achieved CH to put the club up for sale on the basis of using BP to whoever wishes to own/invest in it, CH to walk away with his head held high for having saved the club when it folded
  • Scrap the under 20s and work with the local clubs (Saddleworth, St Annes, Waterhead) to nurture local talent for feeding into OAFC
  • Players to be paid a % of the gate money, once tax/expenses etc have been deducted, so that they have an immediate incentive to play better/win games to attract larger attendances. This would also mean that the club could never go bankrupt (unless gate money didn't even cover costs with players wages!, in which case the club cannot exist)
  • The official club supporters club to have an elected member on the board working with the new owners and feeding back to the fans
  • Once all the above are in place to apply for automatic promotion rather than go through another season in this poor division, or if that isn't possible then to make sure they are promoted automatically next season 

Oldham needs a RL team, and RL needs a team in Oldham given its history and provision of great players both in the past and now.

You say scrap the under 20s and work with the local clubs. The under 20s have been forced on us by the RFLC not by choice we have had to do away with a pretty good second team because of this,  has everybody forgotten about John Hough's winning team. When we tried to run an under 18s team which was the first club to object Saddleworth Rangers and caused mayhem and tried to put a stop to it.

#30 higgy

higgy
  • 335 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:44 PM

On a par with Fridays game. No evidence of game plan or structure. Poor decisions on subs and little evidence of either teams coaches being proactive to changing game conditions.

Did you go to Friday nights game because if you did you know very little about rugby league, We were up against a far superior class of team who would have probably given any team in our division a good game never mind the under 20s.

You cannot blame the coaches nor the team for the performance on the night we had nine players cried off through injury or other commitments and the guys who turned out gave their all.

The under 20s have been forced on us by the RFLC and a lot of our guys were recruited for the under 18s prior to the change.

Can't fault the coaches or the Lads and your comments are offensive to their efforts.

Mind you I have got to agree with you about todays performance.

#31 higgy

higgy
  • 335 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:53 PM

Spanner & Scott are in communication at all times with the dug out via the radio. Standing on the scaffold is a better vantage point than the crowded dug out view you would get at Whitebank.

But does it need them both up there?  who's then running the co-ordination of the team from the dugout, can't see radios working when our tannoy system doesn't even work properly, and I am sure Hamilton won't have invested anything proper

#32 mickhornet

mickhornet
  • Coach
  • 390 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:03 AM

Comiserations, ex players always come back to bite you. A truly amazing result, Oxford had a plus 22 start with the bookies.

#33 roughyed8

roughyed8
  • Coach
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:04 AM

Maybe they have G I Joe walkie talkies from smyths!. As for the vantage point they obviously couldn't see that the stand offs stock tactic of giving their wingers catching practice with little dolly kicks over the top was not working!

#34 andykenny

andykenny
  • Players
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:46 AM

Total common sense!

Unfortunately common sense does not apply where this club or this town are concerned.

Year on year the club has taken backward steps.Just as we get used to one backward step another comes along.

Mr Hamilton simply adapts his business model.Less fans =lower quality players and so on.Not all his fault though.The council has played a big part.

However as much as Mr Hamilton saved the club I am afraid now he will not let go. The club will fold and have to restart again without him.The last of the backward steps is upon us.

#35 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 772 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:56 AM

but are you sure the RFL would let a heart land club rejoin even one with a great history like Oldham have . The plan now seems to be for expansion teams to make up Championship 1
Success does not consists in never making blunders,but in never making the same one the second time.

#36 allroughyed

allroughyed
  • Coach
  • 943 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:41 AM

So what now ?. After watching that yesterday afternoon, I'm left wondering where we go from here, and how do we progress.
The honest answer is that I haven't a clue. All the evidence is there that Naylor is not good enough for the role, and I agree with the post Bigred put up, that he never aspired to much as a player, and he won't do it as a coach. Yesterday after the Game, Tony Benson told me he has ex union players in his squad that have never played League before, and they looked better than our experienced players.How many times in the first half, coming up the hill, they got over the gain line in a two/three man tackle ?. On attack, with ball in hand, we played one man rugby,no ball release, no run around and a poorly executed kicking game, one kick for touch by Palfrey went only 5yards.
The leaving of Jamie Dallimore early season, and the breakdown of his relationship with Naylor leaves a lot of unanswered question, starting with why couldn't it be put right.
If we cant compete with and beat Oxford, we are going nowhere. Benson told me they have and are making great progress as a team and as a club. It's not losing to them and a team of ex Roughyed that leaves me deflated, its the lack of quality. We lack the ability to win the collision on the field, and the lack of ball to the wingers, more so Bloomfield is worrying. Surely Naylor can see this and why hasn't he addressed it ?.
Over the last month, I've seen Fax 3 times and the difference is huge. The power up the middle from the forwards, Tonks and Barlow, the line speed and the simple run around when attacking the oppositions line.
I agree with Bigred and others, that whilst the club is in sole charge of CH, we are going backwards. What is there to invest in, there are no assets, players can break their contracts, whilst the club can do nothing because of the employment laws.
I am at the moment, a long term disillusioned supporter, who once again is seeing promotion goimg out the window, and no future.
When you follow a team, there has to be on your part, a dream, a hope,a vision of the club and team going forward, decent matches to enjoy, and I don't see it.
I know we have a number of dedicated supporters, who will go wherever, whenever, and enjoy the day out singing and drinking, and I'm not knocking them for it, but for me there has to be more than that. Yesterday for me, another part of The Roughyeds died and feel like putting a notice on it saying " do not resuscitate ".

GIVE US A TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#37 HARRYRUBY

HARRYRUBY
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

If you have an organisation run by one person there is no one to challenge their decisions and if a wrong decision is made then any given situation will become worse.

Until there is a change no improvement will be seen.

The ground is not up to standard and nothing seems to have been done on it since last season.

The playing squad have got younger with less experience together with a coach who himself has not got a wealth of experience.

The only answer is more investment with more directors ( or CH being bought out ).

A move back to BP.

A an experienced coach brought in.

The stumbling block to all this is the clubs debt of over £200.000 as no one in the right mind will take that over.

The second is will the RFL allow a new club to continue to be formed without the debt being paid.

They would not let Blackpool do it so it is doubtful if they would let us.

The future is Bleak.

#38 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

rugby oldham need to form a "new" oldham club imo

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#39 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 560 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

It's all about money. Outgoings greater than income. According to another thread Leigh haven't paid their players! They have use of a decent ground but it's not theirs. We have our own ground but it's cra9. We need someone who h as money to chuck away because RL at this level is not a business.

#40 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

thats not going to happen with CH in charge....

he NEEDS to hand the club over to rugbyoldham and walk away...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users