oxford game

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#41 mackin89

mackin89
  • Coach
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

Took two neutrals to the game yesterday both said not to drag them there again, due to the quality of the rugby. The facilities of course didnt help, when it started to hammer it down as the game petered out me and my mate questioned why we bothered shelling out for the season ticket. I want to follow my local team, living in Salford the temptations on my doorstep but im an Oldhamer and il back the club to a point but i dont want to pay to come out dejected and throw money to someone who has no plan or ambition to move the club on.

Issues i see 

-The club has almost no communication to the fans about anything. ORSA please step forward and link with the fans. Or as others have said Rugby Oldham kick on and try and offer an alternative route.

- We have a young squad with no experience who insist on playing up the middle. we do have wingers Scott! It feels like a budget team set out to match Hamiltons lack of ambition.

-The Ground is looking even worse than it did when we first moved in, the volunteers painting made a difference for the first couple of years now its starting to look tatty for whitebanks standards and whats with the entire end behind the sticks being closed. Whats happened to the planing permission, is there even any point?

- The website is god awful, i know we are skint but every club in this bloody division has a decent website, marketing is the only way we can move this club on to attract new fans, honestly think most students could make a better website.

Positives - Its our ground and the beer and pies are good value...

Rant over

#42 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 907 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

No club apart from the top four clubs in SL are profitable, and some of those four could be questionable. Unfortuantely, if Oldham were top of the Championship and playing champagne rugby etc etc, crowds would be no bigger than 2000. RL is struggling, and no matter how they splash a bit more colour on the drab image it presents, it all needs rippping down and overhauling to suit EVERY club and not the select four. Just look how the RFL are trying to change to game at Primary school level to see the destruction they seem happy to do, they get some funding, and then sabotage a system that works and works well, without ever consulting the people that do have a clue. It's madness.

With regards to the rugby on show at present, the pitch does not help. Too narrow and too short to play any sort of free flowing attractive rugby. The quality of the surface isn't up to scratch with too many dips, hollows and bare patches, it surely must help create lower leg injuries for the players. I remember TB saying to me when we moved from BP in that he would have to change his own coaching mentality and squad selection to suit the pitch at Whitebank, it's madness.

Edited by oldhamer, 29 April 2013 - 02:12 PM.

#43 RunItOffAfi

RunItOffAfi
  • Coach
  • 240 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

I agree with nearly everything that's been said on here. Yesterday's display was dire, but, even worse than that, it was exceedingly boring. I thought some of last season's games were tedious, but yesterday topped the lot. Along with many others, I'd high hopes for the new coaching team. Now, I have massive doubts. I went to a game of RL yesterday to be entertained. What I saw appeared to be no better than a bad RU club game. Is it too much to ask to see an Oldham team throwing the ball about and not just one off drives down the middle, which are easy to defend against. Then again, with a well past his best scrum half and a stand off (and captain) who I wouldn't have bringing the water bottles on, perhaps I'm expecting too much. And the worst of it is there's no longer any hope under the present one man band. Oh for a tax bill we can't pay and a new start. Anyone want a season ticket. I'll pay a good price to take it off my hands.

#44 RoytonRoughyed

RoytonRoughyed
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:55 PM

Greater Manchester RLFC is the only way this town will be represented in any decent standard again. Lets face it its not exactly worked keeping both Salford and Oldham as individuals has it most of those who fought against it and got there wish have ditched both clubs. Oldham as à team is done. Manchester team could be à disaster but the so is Oldham RLFC

#45 Red mamma

Red mamma
  • Players
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:36 PM

I have watched every game this season and have seen some great rugby on show, yesterday was poor,Oxford obviously wanted it more but quite honestly I think some of the posts are a knee jerk reaction to the performance. To blame the coaching staff is unfair, they have got the lads playing together and morale is very high. The pitch doesn't help, it is very poor and I think the lads play much better away from home. Having a few weeks off isn't going to help but onwards and upwards, keep the faith, they will come back and to be frank, promotion isn't an option with the current facilities. Just my opinion. X

#46 herbie

herbie
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

In the past it has been stated that Rugby Oldham may have an hidden agenda and wanted to gain control of the club. God I wish they had! For the good of Rugby League in Oldham Rugby Oldham should make a move NOW! A campaign should be started to show Hamilton how much his mismanagement of OUR club is resented in this town.

#47 D1029

D1029
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:43 PM

Thats if you can get any meaningful dialogue with the management or even a respose

#48 2013leaguer

2013leaguer
  • Players
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

Why keep blaming the U20's??? They don't get paid, a lot of them travel a good distance to train twice a week for the club, they are not the reason the club is skint!!! They are providing game play for players not playing in 1st team and there are future players who give all to the club, if there was a problem with injuries they are are support as we don't have a large 1st team squad.
If any U20's are reading this forum... well done ... your efforts are appreciated!!!

#49 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:15 PM

who's blaming the under 20s??

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#50 oldham13

oldham13
  • Coach
  • 691 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:39 AM

For me, Sunday's result was a new low point and a true realisation that we are continuing to move backwards. After seven seasons and this being our eight in the bottom tier we have not progressed, after failing to win the grand final on promotion on several occasions we have become a poor side with no prospect of progression. I have always supported the club and I will always turn up to watch the team but this season is worst than the season we lost all 18 games in the old Championship......

On the field we look poor of attacking options and the defence is suspect at times.......................

Talk is Cheap but actions speak louder than words !!!!!!!!

if anybody from the club reads this, including the players, I have never felt so disappointed by a group of players who can't beat a team who were put together in the off season with very little pre season training.....

It is Tuesday and I am still angry by the level of performance by the players.

I don't want to read that coach thinks it is not good enough I want results, an intense level of preformance and promotion.......

Regards

Dejectedly and disappointedly  

We Are Oldham Roughyeds

#51 higgy

higgy
  • 337 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

Why keep blaming the U20's??? They don't get paid, a lot of them travel a good distance to train twice a week for the club, they are not the reason the club is skint!!! They are providing game play for players not playing in 1st team and there are future players who give all to the club, if there was a problem with injuries they are are support as we don't have a large 1st team squad.
If any U20's are reading this forum... well done ... your efforts are appreciated!!!

Fully agree with you on this one, not only do they not get paid neither do the coaches, if you look at the upcoming fixtures you will see they are due to play at Hemel with a 12.30 kick off as an opener for the first team match, now that's dedication

#52 higgy

higgy
  • 337 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

For me, Sunday's result was a new low point and a true realisation that we are continuing to move backwards. After seven seasons and this being our eight in the bottom tier we have not progressed, after failing to win the grand final on promotion on several occasions we have become a poor side with no prospect of progression. I have always supported the club and I will always turn up to watch the team but this season is worst than the season we lost all 18 games in the old Championship......

On the field we look poor of attacking options and the defence is suspect at times.......................

Talk is Cheap but actions speak louder than words !!!!!!!!

if anybody from the club reads this, including the players, I have never felt so disappointed by a group of players who can't beat a team who were put together in the off season with very little pre season training.....

It is Tuesday and I am still angry by the level of performance by the players.

I don't want to read that coach thinks it is not good enough I want results, an intense level of preformance and promotion.......

Regards

Dejectedly and disappointedly  

Got to agree with this my sentiments exactly

#53 higgy

higgy
  • 337 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

who's blaming the under 20s??

There have been three posting already on this topic suggesting the scrapping of the under 20s.

#54 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

ah right....

we'll its not our under20s fault thats for sure..

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#55 rugbyman1

rugbyman1
  • Coach
  • 208 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

Youth development is one of the big positives of ORLFC. Without young players coming through RL is dead. We have a young 1st team squad and youth development under that. ALL these players need our 100% positive support. They are all doing their best, turning up week in week out often to train or play in substandard conditions (won't mention the showers again!) and in reality for many if you add all of the travel costs they are actually paying in reality to play for ORLFC.

Yes we had a poor result on Sunday but we're still the same group of players who played oustandingly against Rochdale this year. But with youth comes inconsistency sometimes. I'm sure they will become more consistent as the season goes on and will improve. I've not seen any players not giving 100% apart from Dally who's spat his dummy out and thinks he can walk into Workington it appears.

Dissapointed we are, have gripes with CH fair enough but our development teams and the first team are trying their best.It's up to CN/LS to kick them if they need it.

One for all and all for the one

#56 Godzilla

Godzilla
  • Players
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

"we're still the same group of players who played oustandingly against Rochdale!" - Not in the game I saw (Good Friday) the team were bloody awful, and just as boring and predictable as it sounds as if they were against Oxford - that Rochdale game is going to be my last of the season.

The other weekend, as I live nearby, I went to watch Eccles against Waterhead, far better entertainment, a lot cheaper in both petrol and gate money, and facilities of a similar standard. I'll go back there again but I've had it with Oldham until they sort the facilities out and (more importantly) play some rugby that's worth watching. I've been going for nearly 30 years but I've had enough.

#57 BOLTON ROUGHYED

BOLTON ROUGHYED
  • Coach
  • 666 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

I agree with nearly everything that's been said on here. Yesterday's display was dire, but, even worse than that, it was exceedingly boring. I thought some of last season's games were tedious, but yesterday topped the lot. Along with many others, I'd high hopes for the new coaching team. Now, I have massive doubts. I went to a game of RL yesterday to be entertained. What I saw appeared to be no better than a bad RU club game. Is it too much to ask to see an Oldham team throwing the ball about and not just one off drives down the middle, which are easy to defend against. Then again, with a well past his best scrum half and a stand off (and captain) who I wouldn't have bringing the water bottles on, perhaps I'm expecting too much. And the worst of it is there's no longer any hope under the present one man band. Oh for a tax bill we can't pay and a new start. Anyone want a season ticket. I'll pay a good price to take it off my hands.

The boredom factor at Sundays game was THE single biggest emotion that I took home with me after the game. I have seen many close run games watching Oldham but, even given the closeness of the result, I never once raised my voice during the game because it was the dullest specticle I have witnessed for years. One out drives up the middle with hardly any intention to get the outside backs involved...It was awful.

I went home and put an old DVD on, showing all the tries from the 90/91 and 91/92 seasons. The rugby played back then was full of attacking flare, sweeping length of the field moves with the ball often going through the hands of at least half the team.....Where did all that go??? I honestly don't remember seeing a try that came from a kick.

I know times have changed, the game is quicker, players fitter and, for us, our pitch is too narrow but still....Where has all the skill gone from the game? I can't even say Super League is that much better.

I watched the DVD to cheer me up..... I ended up even more depressed at the demise of our game and our club. Will I be there next time? I really don't know.

#58 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 907 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

SL does de-skill players, as they play to a certain pattern and are very much robotised. Gone are the days where players 'play what they see'. The only player who in the modern era plays in that way Sam Tomkins, and people are excited (and some hate him for that fact) to see him play for that factor. In the 80s and early 90s, we had a plethora of Tomkins', Edwards, Gregory, Hanley, Ford, Fox, Schofield, Powell etc etc. In the early 90s, watching an Australian club game was like watching 13 robots play against each other, and who was the biggest and quickest normally won, our game is a carbon copy of that era down under. I got slated once at a coaching meeting run by the RFL when we watched clips of games pre and post SL, and was asked if the game had improved or not, I commented that it had gone backwards. The RFL were go smacked with my response, as they claimed that as full time professional, the players were bigger, quicker and fitter than there predcessors. That may be the case but their core skills are poor. Poor tackling techniques due to be taught the correct way since 7 by their amateur club coach, and then once in the scholarship arena are taught to attack the ball in the tackle and be dominant, often making missed or poor tackles in the process. Scholarships are building atheletes rather than skilled players, and it is showing big time, and its not just the British game that is suffering, the Australian game is also.

#59 RunItOffAfi

RunItOffAfi
  • Coach
  • 240 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

My only concern with the under 20s, both this season and last, is that fielding a team in that competition is not one of the conditions for promotion and the money spent on running a team at this level could be better spent on strengthening the first team squad, to try to get us out of this division. The fact that we are running an Under 20s team, and not putting all our eggs into the first team basket, leads me to the conclusion that promotion is not the top priority, despite some of the cheap talk coming out of the club. Be interesting to know what Hamilton's priorities are, beyond picking up his Chief Exec pay from the RFL, but I'm not expecting to find anything out anytime soon. After all, we're only the customers.

#60 higgy

higgy
  • 337 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

My only concern with the under 20s, both this season and last, is that fielding a team in that competition is not one of the conditions for promotion and the money spent on running a team at this level could be better spent on strengthening the first team squad, to try to get us out of this division. The fact that we are running an Under 20s team, and not putting all our eggs into the first team basket, leads me to the conclusion that promotion is not the top priority, despite some of the cheap talk coming out of the club. Be interesting to know what Hamilton's priorities are, beyond picking up his Chief Exec pay from the RFL, but I'm not expecting to find anything out anytime soon. After all, we're only the customers.

This is the first year for the under 20s, last year if you remember we ran a Reserve Team coached by Paul Ashton and an under 18s team.

The way I understand it is that the under 20s team has been forced on us by the RFLC and the Super League Clubs (not wanting to run their own reserves) to the detriment of the Reserve Team.

I agree with you about Hamilton's priorities but there must be a cost saving by not having the Reserves (which is a great loss to us) and some funding must come from the RFLC in running a Under 20s team, which we cannot afford to be without.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users