Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

oxford game

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 2013leaguer

2013leaguer
  • Players
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:00 PM

My only concern with the under 20s, both this season and last, is that fielding a team in that competition is not one of the conditions for promotion and the money spent on running a team at this level could be better spent on strengthening the first team squad, to try to get us out of this division. The fact that we are running an Under 20s team, and not putting all our eggs into the first team basket, leads me to the conclusion that promotion is not the top priority, despite some of the cheap talk coming out of the club. Be interesting to know what Hamilton's priorities are, beyond picking up his Chief Exec pay from the RFL, but I'm not expecting to find anything out anytime soon. After all, we're only the customers.

Interested to see what you think running the under 20's cost, they don't get paid, pay all their own travel, the coaches don't get paid, so wheres the cost???

#62 RunItOffAfi

RunItOffAfi
  • Coach
  • 244 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

Assuming the players don't have to buy their own kit, have it washed and dried, contribute towards the costs of floodlights for evening games and pay for their own insurance (probably the biggest expense), then there is a cost to running the Under 20s, as there is for all amateur teams, hence the subs that are paid by players.

Talking of costs, what a brilliant bit of business that is with Dally. According to the coach, he's let the club down and we give him what he wants by agreeing to release him from his contract. Why not hold out for a transfer fee, it's not as if the club doesn't need every bit of cash it can get. I can see this coming back to bite us hard. Then again, the silver lining to this cloud is that we're left with Roden and Palfrey! Oh joy!

#63 oldhambear7

oldhambear7
  • Players
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

There is only one reason Hamilton continues to hang on, it pays his salary, and until it doesn't, nothing will change, I am still absolutely amazed that that the 'loyal fans' continue to put up with this rubbish, surely even they can see its a lost cause or maybe a pie and a pint with their mates on a Sunday afternoon is good enough, well for me, the same as so many others, it's not. A one horse club in a one horse town.

#64 Ex-scrumhalf

Ex-scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 116 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

Assuming the players don't have to buy their own kit, have it washed and dried, contribute towards the costs of floodlights for evening games and pay for their own insurance (probably the biggest expense), then there is a cost to running the Under 20s, as there is for all amateur teams, hence the subs that are paid by players.

Talking of costs, what a brilliant bit of business that is with Dally. According to the coach, he's let the club down and we give him what he wants by agreeing to release him from his contract. Why not hold out for a transfer fee, it's not as if the club doesn't need every bit of cash it can get. I can see this coming back to bite us hard. Then again, the silver lining to this cloud is that we're left with Roden and Palfrey! Oh joy!

The biggest grumble I have with running any other team than the first team at this point in time is the reliance that we seem to put on it to provide us with a team for the future. True some quite good players have come through from reserves/under 18s/under 20s etc but you cannot build a team entirely from that source without putting in place plenty of experience to guide them. It seems to me that the thinking at the club is that we will put together a team on the cheap made up of promoted under 20s etc and hope that in a few years time they will be good enough to hold their own in a higher division. However you only have to look at people like Dally who, it seems to me, believes what he reads about himself in the papers and thinks he should be playing at a much higher level. If he should then you can't blame him for jumping ship and others who make a reputation for themselves will do likewise, resulting in a constant stream of inexperienced players in the first team.

I totally agree that we need to think very seriously about the situation we are in and perhaps look at ensuring promotion by enlisting the aid of some very experienced people, as I keep saying, in key positions.

#65 2013leaguer

2013leaguer
  • Players
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

£4.00 to watch the U20's I am sure this would cover any costs, and do the RFL not contribute?

#66 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:23 PM

There is only one reason Hamilton continues to hang on, it pays his salary, and until it doesn't, nothing will change, I am still absolutely amazed that that the 'loyal fans' continue to put up with this rubbish, surely even they can see its a lost cause or maybe a pie and a pint with their mates on a Sunday afternoon is good enough, well for me, the same as so many others, it's not. A one horse club in a one horse town.

hit the nail on the head..

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#67 johnt

johnt
  • Players
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:44 PM

Re some of the responses to my message and the point I made re the under 20s team;

My suggestion that the under 20s team is scrapped and replaced by increased association with the local national conference teams is not intended as a slight on the players in the under 20s team. As people have said these are young players trying to start their way in the game, and good luck to them, their enthusiasm and dedication to rugby league cannot be doubted (though I have to say to support my other point re moving back to BP and CH selling the club, should one of the under 20 players 'make it' will he wish to play for the club as it is, surely they'll want to move to a club with greater prospects).

My point is made for the following reasons;

• Oldham as a club should not be distracted by running anything beyond the first team and getting out of this poor division, those distractions either being coaching, administration or financial
  • A development team, of whatever type, can be run in the future when the club itself has firm foundations, something it does not have at present
  • Working with the local conference sides will be means of nurturing inclusion in the running and well-being of the professional club in the town and well as giving local players the opprtunity to play for their own town team 

As for whether or not the club have to run an under 20s team, there is the following quote from wikipedia (which whilst sometimes not the most reliable source, this does look official);

"The Rugby League Reserve Team Championship is a competition for the reserve teams of the British based Super League clubs. Having a reserve team is a compulsory part of the minimum criteria to hold a Super League license, but Catalans Dragons have dispensation to run their reserve team in the French Elite League for logistical reasons. The reserve championship has been replaced by an Under 20 competition.

The Rugby League Reserve Team First Division is a competition for the reserve teams of Co-Operative Championship clubs, although there is no longer an obligation for clubs in the Championship to enter a reserve team. This is now an Under 23 competition featuring just six sides in 2012".

#68 Roughyedz

Roughyedz
  • Coach
  • 636 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:35 AM

Subsequent to all the above posts

Whats happened to RTG .....and his Rose Tinted Glasses ?????????. . . . :rolleyes:

Posted Image

#69 RunItOffAfi

RunItOffAfi
  • Coach
  • 244 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

Interesting point from last Sunday was the official attendance, given as 602. I was at the Rochdale game on Good Friday, when the attendance was given as 664, I think. Nobody's going to convince me that last Sunday's crowd was only 60 odd less than for the Hornets game. I reckon about 450 last Sunday and there is previous for this. Season before last, we played South Wales in a downpour and the offical attendace was 514, but I have it from an impeccable source that the actual crowd figure was 374. I'd like to know what the point of this is, or is it just Hamilton's attempt to show there are more people interested than there actually are. We'll probably never find out.

#70 sheddingslad

sheddingslad
  • Facebook
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:50 PM

:lol: We all have our memories Of Oldham rugby , i started Going in the 70's  great players -great times !!!!! but now is Now !!!! If Oldham needed support it does Now More than ever !!! chris Hamleton has Kept oldham going and for that i thank Him , But we need Class players and not Kids or salford cast offs !!!1 I fear that if we dont get promoted that will be the END !!!! Come On Chris ,Come On Oldham Fans -BUT MOST OF ALL COME ON YOU ROUGHYEDS !!!!! :angry:

#71 Ex-scrumhalf

Ex-scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

I started going to Watersheddings in the fifties, even greater memories, greater players and greater times, and now is indeed now, but that is not to say that we should accept it for what it is and put up with it. 

I greatly applaud and admire those people who attend matches regularly, I admit I don't but for more than one reason, however I think that they do so blindly and do not see that they are part of the problem. While CH can keep it ticking over CH has a good income, allegedly, and he seems happy to carry on with the status quo. If this is untrue then he should come out and tell us, along with lots of other things that we need to know.

If we all sat back and did nothing, nothing would ever change. Look at the Rochdale Pioneers and others who did not want to let things carry on ticking over. Had they just carried on thinking that nothing could be done and accepted that things were bad but they were better than nothing, then where would the world be today I wonder?

Someone says that he/she has been in touch with BQ and he would be willing to come back if we had a proper board in place and it would seem he would be happy to work with a supporters takeover. If that is true then I for one can't wait to attend a public meeting, do what I can to help and, hopefully, get the club back on it's feet and where it belongs. Definitely not with clubs new to the league and who have nothing like our 100 plus years of existence. (Please don't tell me we have only been running since 1997) 

Edited by Ex-scrumhalf, 11 May 2013 - 05:14 PM.

#72 Tony Mac

Tony Mac
  • Coach
  • 542 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:08 PM

I started going to Watersheddings in the fifties, even greater memories, greater players and greater times, and now is indeed now, but that is not to say that we should accept it for what it is and put up with it. 
I greatly applaud and admire those people who attend matches regularly, I admit I don't but for more than one reason, however I think that they do so blindly and do not see that they are part of the problem. While CH can keep it ticking over CH has a good income, allegedly, and he seems happy to carry on with the status quo. If this is untrue then he should come out and tell us, along with lots of other things that we need to know.
If we all sat back and did nothing, nothing would ever change. Look at the Rochdale Pioneers and others who did not want to let things carry on ticking over. Had they just carried on thinking that nothing could be done and accepted that things were bad but they were better than nothing, then where would the world be today I wonder?
Someone says that he/she has been in touch with BQ and he would be willing to come back if we had a proper board in place and it would seem he would be happy to work with a supporters takeover. If that is true then I for one can't wait to attend a public meeting, do what I can to help and, hopefully, get the club back on it's feet and where it belongs. Definitely not with clubs new to the league and who have nothing like our 100 plus years of existence. (Please don't tell me we have only been running since 1997) 

If it is indeed true about BQ then can he come on here and confirm it. Bill did come on the forum just after the break up between him and the club and was completely honest. I know because I approached him after his comments and he confirmed it in person. He also told me that he still had Oldham at heart so, if it is indeed true that he would be willing to come back, I'm sure he would be more than happy to come on the forum and confirm it. If that happened I too would be very interested in attending a public meeting as that would put some meat on the bone that there is someone out there to take the club forward and not just forum talk.

Tony Mac

Nobody believes the official spokesman, but everybody trusts an unidentified source.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users