Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tetley's Challenge Cup Fifth Round Draw (merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#61 Loiner

Loiner
  • Coach
  • 331 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

The draw for the fifth round of the Tetley's Challenge Cup will take place next Monday, April 22, on the Richard Bacon Show on BBC Radio 5 Live at 3.30pm.

And the whole thing turns out to be a joke, a disgraceful, once again shows rugby league in a bad light. Billy Boston sounds as if he's lost his marbles.

#62 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

Edited by MrPosh, 22 April 2013 - 04:27 PM.

People called Romans they go the house

#63 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,998 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

Did he make a pig's ear of it?

He mispronounced "Workington" as "Wokington"

:rolleyes:  :D

Sorry brooza mate, seems you got caught up in one of them there "wooosh" moments.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#64 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,915 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

He also had Workington at home to Widnes and then away to Hull KR !!!!!!    Shambles, I think is the correct term.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#65 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 624 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

That was probably one of the most shambolic and embarrassing draws I've ever heard. If the BBC aren't going to treat the competition with respect move the draw elsewhere. That made RL sound ridiculous.

Farce. Was like a mickey take from the host and Boston didn't seem to realise he was on live radio. 'Erm there has been a mistake' was a great comment after the host missed a team out. Then Boston read 6 as 9. Oh and Workington became Wokingtown. Shambles and better off without this kind of exposure

#66 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

Closest to call is Sheffield v Halifax, should be a cracker. No doubt a few of us Fev fans will be going to watch their biggest pair of rivals knocking seven bells out of each other. If your club doesn't have a game, get yerself down there and witness the quality that's coming out of The Championship!

#67 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

Great draw all round i think, Please ban the Giants Leeds game from TV
Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#68 WSCR

WSCR
  • Coach
  • 251 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:58 PM

I was embarrassed to be a Rugby League fan listening to the draw on Radio 5 live,the BBC people were clueless all through the draw and the RFL should ask for some sort of an apology.

BBC a national treasure somebody must be joking.

#69 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:59 PM

I'm very positive about Rugby League but even I was embarrassed by that shamble of a draw.

Do you think that's strong enough to get tweeted by @RLMeltdown? ;-)
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#70 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

I'm very positive about Rugby League but even I was embarrassed by that shamble of a draw.

Do you think that's strong enough to get tweeted by @RLMeltdown? ;-)

It probably will be, saying a player had an off day enough to get tweeted by them!

#71 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:31 PM

Did he make a pig's ear of it?

Snout new

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#72 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,230 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:27 PM

And the whole thing turns out to be a joke, a disgraceful, once again shows rugby league in a bad light. Billy Boston sounds as if he's lost his marbles.

Billy is 78 and not been in the best of health on and off for some time. A great figure to have involved but to expect a lot from him these days is a bit much.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#73 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,000 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:09 PM

Farce. Was like a mickey take from the host and Boston didn't seem to realise he was on live radio. 'Erm there has been a mistake' was a great comment after the host missed a team out. Then Boston read 6 as 9. Oh and Workington became Wokingtown. Shambles and better off without this kind of exposure

Don't forget the obligatory Eddie Wareing clip too. And the references to "camp looking Rugby players with moustaches on the trophy".

My 2nd best hero - Jamie "Super Noodles" Peacock, but he'll never overtake my dad.....

#74 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:58 PM

I'll take that un, just hope we turn up again and don't stay asleep until the second half.

Really? Truly awful draw for me. Hardly anyone will see it, it will be expensive for the club and fans, and it will be a difficult game where we might get knocked out.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#75 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:50 AM

Really? Truly awful draw for me. Hardly anyone will see it, it will be expensive for the club and fans, and it will be a difficult game where we might get knocked out.

Better than Catalan away!

Any cost will be recouped at the end of August with our next trip to London... :D

What did you expect? A home draw? Pah! Not on your life!!

Yet again St Helens are at home... (with their feet up)

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#76 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:09 AM

There are at least 7 or 8 teams I'd rather not face in that draw above London so it's certainly not the worst draw we could have had by a long shot

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#77 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:26 AM

With the London RU 7s on over the road on both the Saturday and Sunday, it'll be interesting to see what happens with the London - Bradford game, as I can't see the authorities being happy about having the two at the same time.

#78 High Peak Rhino

High Peak Rhino
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:39 AM

With the London RU 7s on over the road on both the Saturday and Sunday, it'll be interesting to see what happens with the London - Bradford game, as I can't see the authorities being happy about having the two at the same time.

Don't think the extra 1000 people are going to have a huge impact...

#79 Hodgo

Hodgo
  • Players
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

I was embarrassed to be a Rugby League fan listening to the draw on Radio 5 live,the BBC people were clueless all through the draw and the RFL should ask for some sort of an apology.

BBC a national treasure somebody must be joking.

Absolutely agree. As a Workington fan I was really excited for the draw and had it on in my office with non-RL fans, and it just made the whole thing sound like a joke. People were just laughing at it. I had TalkSport on driving home and Adrian Durham actually referenced it being a shambles and volunteered for TalkSport to do it next time and do it properly. I thought TalkSport was supposed to be trash radio not 5 live!

#80 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

It'll be Scott Mills next.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.