Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Why a GB tour in 2015 is deeply flawed

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#1 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

we know theres going to be a 4 nations held in the uk in 2016... (australia are hosting in 2014)

the 4th nation in that competition will be decided the year before (2015) via a european cup..

a GB tour in 2015 that could potentially rob wales,scotland & ireland of their best players thus hindering their chances of doing well in the 2015 european cup and ruining their prospects of playing in the 2016 4nations.......faced with that theres a good chance the welsh,scots & irish could withdraw their support for the GB concept and leaving england & the RFL to go it alone..

which will beg the question...WHY NOT TOUR AS ENGLAND!

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#2 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:13 AM

Why can't the Euro nations have their qualification games for the 2016 4Nations in 2014 while England are playing the 4Nations down under leaving 2015 free so any Welsh, Scots or Irish selected could tour with GB in 2015?

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino, 22 April 2013 - 08:14 AM.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#3 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 630 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:53 AM

which will beg the question...WHY NOT TOUR AS ENGLAND!

Or... why not play major tournaments (excluding world cup) as Great Britain?... :ph34r:

#4 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

Or... why not play major tournaments (excluding world cup) as Great Britain?... :ph34r:

Because it robs England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland of the few opportunities they get to play internationals?

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#5 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,149 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

Why can't the Euro nations have their qualification games for the 2016 4Nations in 2014 while England are playing the 4Nations down under leaving 2015 free so any Welsh, Scots or Irish selected could tour with GB in 2015?

This entirely practical suggestion is, I'm sure, unworkable for reasons that Roughyed will now elucidate ...

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#6 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

because it does'nt make sense to qualify for something 2 years before the event

OLDHAM RLFC

#7 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

U turn

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#8 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,149 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:26 AM

Do go on ...

- Severus, July 2012

#9 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:27 AM

Why? From my point of view it gives the qualifying country extra time to prepare for a big international tournament.

#10 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

Why? From my point of view it gives the qualifying country extra time to prepare for a big international tournament.

It doesn't, though. Their best players will be off on GB duty during the international season.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#11 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:34 AM

It doesn't, though. Their best players will be off on GB duty during the international season.

Giving fringe players a chance to put themselves in the shop window for the 4Nations.

#12 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:42 AM

All obstacles that theoretically stops GB touring  should be  put out of harms way.It's vital for the game of RL to get the red white and blue back on the playing field where it belongs.

#13 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

no its not though

OLDHAM RLFC

#14 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

I think we should stop all Celtic nation players from playing in 2015 just in case anyone gets injured thus hindering the chances of Wales, Scotland or Ireland qualifying in 2016.

#15 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

lol

OLDHAM RLFC

#16 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,827 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

All obstacles that theoretically stops GB touring  should be  put out of harms way.It's vital for the game of RL to get the red white and blue back on the playing field where it belongs.

I see this kind of thing quoted so many times. Why the hell is it vital?

Was it vital in 2004 (during the succesful 1st Tri Nations over here) when we attracted a whopping 20k to the Galpharm for the game against the Kiwis?

Not much has changed with the move to England - I'm not against a move back, but let's not make out it is some crucial move that is needed to stop the game dying. It is nostalgia.

#17 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

Surely though the return of GB is more about nostalgia than anything else? 

#18 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

I think we should ONLY go to the Southern Hemisphere as a Great Britain touring side. let's face it, our record since we started playing as the home nations has been pretty poor, at least when it was Gt. Britain I always felt we could win at least one of the three tests, whereas now it always feels like a damage limitation exercise!

#19 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,149 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

I think we should ONLY go to the Southern Hemisphere as a Great Britain touring side. let's face it, our record since we started playing as the home nations has been pretty poor, at least when it was Gt. Britain I always felt we could win at least one of the three tests, whereas now it always feels like a damage limitation exercise!

So the same thirteen men on the field but with the addition of a blue bit of trim would have played significantly better?

- Severus, July 2012

#20 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,834 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

So you're saying that changing the name is all that is needed to make us better?...
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users