Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Why a GB tour in 2015 is deeply flawed

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#21 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

I think we should stop all Celtic nation players from playing in 2015 just in case anyone gets injured thus hindering the chances of Wales, Scotland or Ireland qualifying in 2016.

No, but Welsh, Scottish and Irish players should be playing for Wales, Scotland and Ireland instead of being squad players for England-dressed-up-as-GB.

For that matter, England should be taking every opportunity to play the best sides in the world as often as they can. Don't forget that we have to contrive an Exiles team to give them regular fixtures of a decent standard.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#22 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

All obstacles that theoretically stops GB touring  should be  put out of harms way.It's vital for the game of RL to get the red white and blue back on the playing field where it belongs.

You could, legitimately, add blue to England's playing kit. The soccer, union and cricket teams all incorporate blue.

If it's that important.

Hell, England could even have the white shirt with red and blue chevron if its that important.

#23 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

A Lions tour would only work if it was a big squad playing loads of game so that there is a chance of the Celtic Nations players being part of the squad and getting something out of it.

Qualifying in 2014 for the 2016 tournament is hardly an issue to be fair. It's not unheard of.
Posted Image

#24 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:51 AM

A Lions tour would only work if it was a big squad playing loads of game so that there is a chance of the Celtic Nations players being part of the squad and getting something out of it.

Qualifying in 2014 for the 2016 tournament is hardly an issue to be fair. It's not unheard of.

That could be quite good - England playing the test matches, the Celtic team playing the 'midweek' games.

#25 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 630 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

Because it robs England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland of the few opportunities they get to play internationals?

England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland should have regular meaningful fixtures scheduled throughout the year. Then select the best from these teams to represent GB in 4N and test series. If players are serious about having an international career, the current system precludes players from selecting Wales, Scotland and Ireland (as has been discussed on here numerous times before). Therefore the split into the home nations is actually weakening the celtic teams as opposed to strengthening them. See England cricket for example (Eoin Morgan et al) and Rhys Evans from Warrington.

#26 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

wales,scotland & ireland have never played as much meaningful tests as they have in the last 4years.....

hth

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#27 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

That could be quite good - England playing the test matches, the Celtic team playing the 'midweek' games.

or the celtic nations could have their own "touring team" called the celtic tigers...

the celtic tigers could play england instead of the exiles ( that could provide a legitimate pathway for bring back GB)

the celtic tigers could play in the 4nations...

and the celtic tigers could tour down under...

OLDHAM RLFC

#28 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 630 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

wales,scotland & ireland have never played as much meaningful tests as they have in the last 4years.....

hth

So? Great that they've played so many games - keep it going.

Out of interest, how does this compare with when GB were playing?

#29 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

I would welcome a tour from Australia or NZ where they play 5 or 6 SL clubs like the touring GB union team do.

It would give SL clubs the chance to raise some revenue and I am sure club fans would warm to it. England or GB coach the chance to see players perform against touring international team. Six weeks of international RL.

Do it once every four years in the middle of the World Cup cycle and swap between Aus and NZ each time.

#30 Gonch

Gonch
  • Coach
  • 345 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

Great Britain was the one major brand we had in our sport and we ditched it, absolute hogwash

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

#31 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,797 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

Great Britain was the one major brand we had in our sport and we ditched it, absolute hogwash

How major was it?

People talk as though everything was good when we had GB playing. There were just as many grim times with GB there as there are with England around.

#32 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

Just to be clear, it was even heard of for this year's world cup as the qualifiers for that were held in 2011.

#33 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:35 PM

We're not talking 'brands' here, but sporting nations. The major teams sports have England as the national team, why should the major and important sport of rugby league be any different? Surely English players want to represent England.

If it helps with the 'brand' then feel free to use old GB kit for England and even call the team the Lions. To be honest I don't think the majority of the sporting public would notice any difference.

#34 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:50 PM

So? Great that they've played so many games - keep it going.

Out of interest, how does this compare with when GB were playing?

it does'nt compare at all....nobody gave a ###### if they played or not.... and they hardly ever played.....put it this way,wales,scotland & ireland have played more games...and games that mean something...in the last 4 years than they in the 10-15 years before that...

OLDHAM RLFC

#35 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 975 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:55 PM

it does'nt compare at all....nobody gave a ###### if they played or not.... and they hardly ever played.....put it this way,wales,scotland & ireland have played more games...and games that mean something...in the last 4 years than they in the 10-15 years before that...

That's twice today I've agreed with you, on this and scrapping the World Cup. Keep it up mate.

#36 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 975 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:56 PM

People have to realise that a Lions Tour or bringing back the Lions will weaken the home nations and you can only have a strong Lions concept if the home nations are strong. 

#37 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 630 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

I'm not sure I agree about the fact that they played more games in the last 4 years than they did in the 10-15 before that - if you could provide some stats then I'll happily alter my opinion.

I do agree that "nobody gave a ###### if they played or not". But I would also say that is probably the same now, relatively speaking.

Personally I think very little has changed for Wales, Scotland and Ireland since GB disbanded, except that some of their better players have since pledged allegiance to England. Again I'll happily be proved wrong if anyone has the stats to support their opinion.

#38 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 630 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

People have to realise that a Lions Tour or bringing back the Lions will weaken the home nations and you can only have a strong Lions concept if the home nations are strong.

I completely disagree with you there.

Not having GB forces players to choose England if they're serious about their international career, thus weakening the other home nations.

#39 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 428 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

GB is a totally irrelevant, archaic concept and the people advocating its return are nostalgia-fueled idiots.

#40 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 630 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

GB is a totally irrelevant, archaic concept and the people advocating its return are nostalgia-fueled idiots.

Thanks for that comprehensive and balanced analysis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users