Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

V Huddersfield

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 BatleyFanAndy

BatleyFanAndy
  • Coach
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:47 AM

I know there are a few threads with this subject already running, but I wanted to start another just to point out how proud I am of supporting this great little team!

If anyone from the club is reading this, well done to everyone!

SIGNATURE

#2 Bat Lad

Bat Lad
  • Coach
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

Ditto

#3 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 683 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:45 PM

Tritto

#4 NEW DOG

NEW DOG
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:46 PM

Quatro

#5 BirstallDog

BirstallDog
  • Coach
  • 753 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:35 PM

well done to everybody up at the mount yesterday..every player deserves credit, and JK should be made mayor of Batley.

#6 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:46 PM

I still for the life of me understand why we didnt get team of the week in League Express, who gave it to Workington instead.

Didnt see Workington getting plenty of column inches in the national press today.

Edited by buford t justice, 23 April 2013 - 12:11 PM.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#7 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:30 AM

I still for the life of me understand why we didnt get tram of the week in League Express, who gave it to Workington instead.

Didnt see Workington getting plenty of column inches in the national press today.

I think that award went to Blackpool for their 1934 English Electric Open Boat tram (green and cream livery). You definitely deserved an award for the rugby though. :rolleyes:

Sorry BTJ  - It was just too tempting to resist. :lol:

#8 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,660 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:41 AM

I still for the life of me understand why we didnt get tram of the week in League Express, who gave it to Workington instead.

Actually they got the RL write up in the Guardian by Andy Wilson - not that this is really representative as he devoted half of the article to the demise of the game thanks to loss of P&R...................zzzz.

i would have thought Batley's performance would be worthy of a better response from the press though.

Edited by Blind side johnny, 23 April 2013 - 08:42 AM.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#9 allaboutbatley

allaboutbatley
  • Players
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:40 AM

maybe our face just doesnt fit?

AAB_Small_500x67.jpg

#10 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:11 PM

Good spot - i can only blame big fingers and an iphone for that!

If it was 1934 im sure id not have made the same mistake with writing implement and ink well at the ready!
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#11 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 548 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:48 PM

The Yorkshire Post gave the game a good write up.

Actually they got the RL write up in the Guardian by Andy Wilson - not that this is really representative as he devoted half of the article to the demise of the game thanks to loss of P&R...................zzzz.

i would have thought Batley's performance would be worthy of a better response from the press though.

#12 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

There was a decent write up in the sun as well
Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#13 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

If a local semi pro football side had run a top premiership side close and looked the better side for much of the game, there would have been  two pages of in depth coverage and a souvenir pullout. I'm not surprised at the southern based nationals, but championship sides don't even get much support from the northern rags. :huh:  

#14 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 548 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:49 PM

All weekend games featuring local championship sides get some sort of a write up in Mondays Yorkshire Post.  They gave more lines to the Batley Huddersfield match than to any other of the weekend ties.  Given the crowds that are being attracted I don't think that we can complain too much at their coverage of the sport.

If a local semi pro football side had run a top premiership side close and looked the better side for much of the game, there would have been  two pages of in depth coverage and a souvenir pullout. I'm not surprised at the southern based nationals, but championship sides don't even get much support from the northern rags. :huh:  

#15 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

All weekend games featuring local championship sides get some sort of a write up in Mondays Yorkshire Post.  They gave more lines to the Batley Huddersfield match than to any other of the weekend ties.  Given the crowds that are being attracted I don't think that we can complain too much at their coverage of the sport.

Watched the rugby backchat program I'd recorded last night and Stevo  praised you mightily - a good old plug for the club on a program largely centred around superleague.

#16 BatleyFanAndy

BatleyFanAndy
  • Coach
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

Watched the rugby backchat program I'd recorded last night and Stevo  praised you mightily - a good old plug for the club on a program largely centred around superleague.

They are readying the public for Batley's SL acceptance. :D

SIGNATURE

#17 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

It's the chicken and egg syndrome though, isn't it? Lack of coverage because crowds are low - people don't come as there is little publicity/coverage so they perceive it as an inferior product.

Surprised Sky even mentioned it as usually if they do not have coverage of the competition, it is not happening. Let's wait and see what happens for the World Cup.

#18 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 548 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

The Yorkshire Post is still referencing this game.  Dave Cravens' preview for the Giants game tomorrow has the headline 'Batley exam prepares Giants for French test'. Michael Lawrence is quoted as saying that it was a more gruelling game than many of their Super League matches this season. 

Lawrence goes on to say that a lot of the Championship Players are bigger but not as agile or quick as SL players and that Batley had a very big team.  I was suprised at the comment; aside from Hirst and Rowe I would have said that the Giants were bigger across the board.  On the other hand I would back our outside backs in a foot race against the Giants outside backs. 

Anyway, good to see Batley still getting publicity on the back of this game.

#19 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:39 PM

I meant to raise this question after the game but my memory is not what it was but here goes

In the second half with the Giants pressing our line they knocked on. Moore got the ball and playing the new free play rule chipped the giants line but failed to regather and the ref waved play on with the giants back in possesion. Was this a duff call by the ref or an error on Moore's part? I can only assume the ref saw it as a one on one, but if that was the case should he not signal this or is there no such signal? And how are the players supposed to know if the free play rule is available?

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#20 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

I meant to raise this question after the game but my memory is not what it was but here goes

In the second half with the Giants pressing our line they knocked on. Moore got the ball and playing the new free play rule chipped the giants line but failed to regather and the ref waved play on with the giants back in possesion. Was this a duff call by the ref or an error on Moore's part? I can only assume the ref saw it as a one on one, but if that was the case should he not signal this or is there no such signal? And how are the players supposed to know if the free play rule is available?

Duff call, I reckon. I was gonna make mention of it in the report but it all happened so fast I didn't note it all down!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users