Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hemingway

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 BatleyFanAndy

BatleyFanAndy
  • Coach
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:17 AM

Is Hemingway injured?  I thought he would have made the team for the Giants game?

SIGNATURE

#2 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 545 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

A lower back injury according to John Kear.

#3 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

And mirrored in the league express.

As solid as Tom is and as good a kicker as he is, Black and Moore should start as first choice halves going forwards for me personally now.

#4 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

completely agree, its no coincidence that we are beginning to find another gear with Moore back in the side alongside Black.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#5 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

I too have to agree with Moore & Black to start. Hemmingway has done a great job but Moore does gives us a little bit more go forward.

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#6 NEW DOG

NEW DOG
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

Hemmingway could be even better if he tried to break the line more often. Seems to get in great positions but doesn't take it on. However lets not detract from the fact that he has stood in well of Gaz and the kick against FAX in last minute could prove vital come October!!!!

#7 PKK

PKK
  • Coach
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:21 PM

We were a lot better with him on the pitch today. Up to his introduction, our attacking play was terrible. Even the crowd were getting tetchy at the one man up style we seem to have turned to.

I for one would like to see him back in the side. That's the first game we've won since Moore replaced him at 7 isn't it?
Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

#8 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:24 PM

I think so. I said before the game that Black hadnt played as well partnered with moore although i think moore plays better than hemmingway! Bit of a problem but I am sure JK knows what to do

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

#9 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

We seem to play better when Hemingway and Black are on the pitch together.
George does make a lot of yards from dummy half but I think Tom distributes it better and he also took them on at times.
Of course, then there is Mennell to fit into the equation!

#10 PKK

PKK
  • Coach
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:22 PM

We were a lot better with him on the pitch today. Up to his introduction, our attacking play was terrible. Even the crowd were getting tetchy at the one man up style we seem to have turned to.

I for one would like to see him back in the side. That's the first game we've won since Moore replaced him at 7 isn't it?
[/quote

remind me exactly what he did please......because he did nothing from dummy half compared to Flanagan.
and I am assuming that we would have beaten Leigh, Giants and Fev with him on.......bizaare post

What's bizarre about the post? It's an opinion.

We're you at the game? Did you think the rugby was good in the first half? We were far better in attack with him on the pitch. Far better. Just like we were a better side before the Giants game.

Edited by PKK, 12 May 2013 - 09:27 PM.

Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

#11 London Dick

London Dick
  • Coach
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:36 AM

I think we have lost cohesion since Gareth has come back.  Hemmingway and Black spent all of pre-season developing their game and understanding and then that has been split and the cohesion has to start again. 

I am getting sick and tired of seeing the ball get to Gareth and watch him through a totally predictable dummy by dropping his shoulder and then hit the defence who had seen the move telegraphed.  He must have tried it a dozen times over recent games and it hasnt come off once.

Whilst our defence it excellent in every game bar one this season I do think we are very laboured in attack and the first half yesterday was awful.  I know people have commented on the Fev and Huddersfield game to highlight Gareth playing but we didn't score many points and either and it was our defence that was so impressive in both games.  I would through the Leigh game into the mix as that was a game we needed a spark from the halfbacks.

The dilemma is do we stick with him to enable the partnership with Black to gel or do we go back with the Hemmingway/Black partnership. 

"If you want us to be the best and if you want us to beat the rest, a BISSA donation is what we need"

#12 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:10 PM

have to say, after witnessing the present form of Mr Moore, i retract my comment of earlier in this thread.

Certainly cant do any harm giving Hemingway a go in his place once hes fit again instead of Moore, or even bring Whitmore back from his loan.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#13 PKK

PKK
  • Coach
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

I think the key is that regardless of who's a better player. As a pairing, Black and Hemmingway work better.

#14 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

Whilst I agree that Moore hasnt recaptured last year's form in his 4 games back so far, and has at times chosen to run when he should have passed, and vica versa, the same can be said about Blacky, who has had a 'fits and starts' season so far IMO. I also think teams are being smarter and closing him down much more quickly as they realise that everything goes through him on attack.

I dont think we can scapegoat Gareth though, as the same lack of cohesion and fluency were apparent with the Hemmingway/Black partnership. As well as a number of, and at times understandable criticisms of Tom for his lack of speed of thought on occasion and reticence to take on the line.

The fact is, creativity has been a problem all season, regardless who the halves have been. The defence is excellent, the yardage very good, gone are the days when we struggle to get out of our own 30 playing up the slope, it's the opening teams up that we struggle with. Perhaps this is something JK and the coaching team need to focus on now, as although the current product seems good enough to beat the majority of sides, it's unlikely that we will win anything without an improvement in this aspect of the game, as results against the top 4 so far have evidenced.

We also lack a true ball playing forward, as good as our current pack is. Someone who can take the pressure off the halves and offer an alternative supply chain. Oh to have someone like Boothy/Kuiti to call upon.

What the answer is I dont know, although agree its frustrating as we are very close indeed to being a genuine contender for honours.

Edited by Nick07, 13 May 2013 - 01:31 PM.

#15 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

I think the key is that regardless of who's a better player. As a pairing, Black and Hemmingway work better.

I agree but do Black and Moore need time to gel esp aiming to have the best team at the sharp end of the season?

#16 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:48 PM

I dont disagree with any of your comments Bulldoggy I think most people are questioning Black's performances not Moore's or Hemmingway and wondering why Black is not playing as well with Moore as he does with Hemmingway. I personally would stick with Black and Moore

#17 colinb

colinb
  • Coach
  • 938 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

yeah moore is playing terrible isn't he...was it only four try assists yesterday ?? two from kicks, twice put Faal/johnson into gaps and wasn't all but two trys down the left ?? Penny somehow acrobatically managed to just reach another kick that Campbell only had to catch for a certain score and then Johnson picked up another kick through in the bottom left, only to lose the ball in the tackle when about to put it down ?? how can you be coming out with this based on what he created yesterday ?? didn't he also intercept a two on one in the first half when swinton looked odds on to score.....its a good job the coach actually watches the game......its a matter of opinion but I think considering Black's performances in the last few games if anyone's contribution should be questioned its his.
Hemmingway is a good back up who has far less in his locker than the aforementioned two and lets put it into perspective a bit, five of the previous six games with Hemmingway starting we scraped through by the skin of our teeth against 3 of the newly promoted sides Barrow, Doncaster and Workington with late late scores, as well as scraping past Hunslet and Dewsbury. Not really on a comparison with playing Huddersfield, Leigh and Featherstone really is it......especially considering we almost beat them with the exception of Leigh.....but I guess we could lynch him for the Leigh defeat because the rest of the side were fantastic on that day weren't they ? Maybe you lot should hand a petition into the club demanding he is dropped or transferred ?

Phew, That's you lot told, think a nerve has been touched.

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

#18 DOGFATHER

DOGFATHER
  • Coach
  • 275 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:34 PM

Didn't Blacky pick up a heavy knock in one of the games? I think it was the game before the Huddersfield one and he got a crack in the ribs and came off early, he certainly looked to be holding his ribs anyway.

Did anyone else notice when we played Leigh, at how fast they passed the ball along the line? There distribution was fast and flat almost NRL standard in comparison to our "lobbed" efforts. I think that is the reason we are struggling to break defences down a bit, we are almost telegraphing what is going to happen before we do it because we are lollygaggin' the ball to each other rather than firing the passes out.