TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

O'Connor Standing down from the board.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:51 AM

I assume this just means he is having less to do with the day to day running of the club rather than a slow withdraw of his financial contribution as well.

#2 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,712 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

I assume this just means he is having less to do with the day to day running of the club rather than a slow withdraw of his financial contribution as well.

As 2015 looms major developments appear?

#3 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

As 2015 looms major developments appear?

It would appear some clubs are scaling back, and some clubs making noises about being ready for the next level (Fax on Look North, Fev etc). Maybe a 2 tier full time league might happen?

#4 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

Probably just bored with it all - looking for a new hobby.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#5 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,346 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:36 PM

I would be surprised if O'Connor didn't want to see the fruits of his labours. Give it a couple of years at their current rate of progress they should be well placed to make any upper tier.

#6 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,712 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:50 PM

I would be surprised if O'Connor didn't want to see the fruits of his labours. Give it a couple of years at their current rate of progress they should be well placed to make any upper tier.

O'Connor has left the day to day running to Rule the CEO whose brief is to make Widnes self sustainable without the sizeable input from O'Connor who is to concentrate on his other business interests. New investors are being sought.

That's three clubs where the boss has announced they are not looking to put any more money in and are inviting others to come on board and put the money in instead.

At the same time league weekly repeats the idea SL is likely to reduce in size. Doesn't take a genius to work out who may be standing down in that area.

#7 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 490 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:32 AM

SOC i think has simply had enough (Not knocking what he has done for Widnes though) his heart is really with soccer and i think is a big Everton FC fan.

CM

Right on the money as usual :-s

#8 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

Another sugar daddy gets fed up of writing out cheques.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#9 JackBauer

JackBauer
  • Players
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

SOC i think has simply had enough (Not knocking what he has done for Widnes though) his heart is really with soccer and i think is a big Everton FC fan.

CM

He's a Liverpool fan.

#10 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,712 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

Another sugar daddy gets fed up of writing out cheques.

Well there's two camps.

One is the wishful thinkers who assume SOC will continue funding even though the press release does not say that at all and could easily have done so.

Then there's the agenda brigade who twist things to make an argument, such as certain SL clubs chairmen are stopping putting money in even though it doesn't say he's stopping??

I wonder what the truth is, and when a press release, a carefully worded public statement has half of us thinking one thing and half of us thinking another, I wonder if it is devious or just plain badly written??

Edited by The Parksider, 23 April 2013 - 12:45 PM.

#11 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

steve is continuing to sit on the board of directors we are just accomodating new blood and new money....
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#12 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

I agree withn you that Widnes are making progress and could become a stable success ful SL club going forward.

They are doing this sitting in the shadow od Warrington and St Helens but nobody is demanding they amalgamate with Warrington for the greater good.

Contrast that with the proposals for the calder area on another thread where it is the current in thing to suggest that Cas and Fev should be disbanded and merged with Trinity to create a one team area.

I don't get it.

#13 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

maurice wanted us to merge with wire and become cheshire, but he got short shrift from the clubs and fans.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#14 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,712 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

Steve is continuing to sit on the board of directors we are just accomodating new blood and new money....

Jack is continuing to sit on the board of directors at cas they are just accomodating new blood and new money.

Neil is continuing to sit on the board of directors at HKR they are just accomodating new blood and new money.

Let me put this simply for you, as your in the know. Is O'Connor going to bankroll Widnes as heavily as he has done if no new blood comes along to do that for him?

#15 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,712 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

I agree within you that Widnes are making progress and could become a stable successful SL club going forward.

(Widnes) are doing this sitting in the shadow od Warrington and St Helens but nobody is demanding they amalgamate with Warrington for the greater good.

Contrast that with the proposals for the calder area on another thread where it is the current in thing to suggest that Cas and Fev should be disbanded and merged with Trinity to create a one team area.

I don't get it.

I don't either and it's only one man suggesting it and most of the rest of us rejecting it. Read the thread properly.

Nobody is demanding anyone merge with Warrington becuase they are a true Superleague club now.

I hope Wakefield or Featherstone become as strong as Warrington.

#16 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 490 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

Jack is continuing to sit on the board of directors at cas they are just accomodating new blood and new money.

Neil is continuing to sit on the board of directors at HKR they are just accomodating new blood and new money.

Let me put this simply for you, as your in the know. Is O'Connor going to bankroll Widnes as heavily as he has done if no new blood comes along to do that for him?

Probably not, however I doubt Widnes are as reliable on SOC as Cas & HKR are on their respective people.  Widnes trying to work to a sustainable business model (eg if we wanted to spend fully salary cap, we needed x through the door.  We didn't achieve x so have not spent the cap)  From what I can see at the other clubs mentioned, its a case of spend the cap to get the punters through the door, or win something.  Neither of which has been achieved (Castleford punters, Hull KR trophy)

Edited by Spidey, 23 April 2013 - 01:25 PM.

#17 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,712 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

Probably not, however I doubt Widnes are as reliable on SOC as Cas & HKR are on their respective people.  Widnes trying to work to a sustainable business model (eg if we wanted to spend fully salary cap, we needed x through the door.  We didn't achieve x so have not spent the cap)  From what I can see at the other clubs mentioned, its a case of spend the cap to get the punters through the door, or win something.  Neither of which has been achieved (Castleford punters, Hull KR trophy)

"Probably" not.

Darn it still can't get a straight answer!!!!!

#18 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 490 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

"Probably" not.

Darn it still can't get a straight answer!!!!!

Apologies... I don't know SOC personally so don't know his financial output  :lol:

#19 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:55 PM

in the dark days immediately after administration when steve took over the club he stated that he would be involved with the club long term but he was working towards the club becoming self sufficient, nothing has change and we are talking to interested parties who want to invest in the club to take us to the next level, steve will remain as majority shareholder and retain a seat on the board but new board members will be forthcoming in the very near future, the owner of maltacourt global logistics is one person already identified as a new member. this accompanied with a projected increase in the membership scheme and average attendances will make widnes one of the games big hitters. perhaps we should have a circus act like salford to make everyone take notice of the strides being made by our club...............

#20 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,712 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:02 PM

in the dark days immediately after administration when steve took over the club he stated that he would be involved with the club long term but he was working towards the club becoming self sufficient, nothing has change and we are talking to interested parties who want to invest in the club to take us to the next level, steve will remain as majority shareholder and retain a seat on the board but new board members will be forthcoming in the very near future, the owner of maltacourt global logistics is one person already identified as a new member. this accompanied with a projected increase in the membership scheme and average attendances will make widnes one of the games big hitters. perhaps we should have a circus act like salford to make everyone take notice of the strides being made by our club...............

So you haven't a clue whether O'Connor is going to continue to put millions in?

However there are People "identified" as new board members and "projections"

This is just as big a PR smokescreen as the official release if not bigger.

Edited by The Parksider, 23 April 2013 - 10:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users