Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Meli grading

where is your money?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

A to F is the range, where do you think the RFL spinning wheel will stop on this one?

I'm going to be brave and say they will be tough for once and grade it as an E.

#2 brooza

brooza
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

Stiff arm tacke, wasn't it?

D-F Intentional - stiff arm tackle - no attempt to tackle legitimately - violent

Edited by brooza, 22 April 2013 - 12:57 PM.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#3 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

C.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#4 brooza

brooza
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

Other options:

A-D 	Strikes with hand, arm or shoulder - reckless
		D-E 	Strikes with hand, arm or shoulder - intentional
		B-C 	Strikes with elbow/forearm - dropping on player
		B-C 	Strikers with elbow/forearm - ball carrier - reckless
		C-F 	Strikes with elbow/forearm - ball arrier - intentional
		C-E 	Strikes with elbow/forearm - tackling - recklesss
		D-F 	Strikes with elbow/forearm - tackling - intentional
		C-E 	Strikes with elbow off ball reckless
		E-F 	Strikes with elbow off ball intentional

D-F Intentional - stiff arm tackle - no attempt to tackle legitimately - violent

Edited by brooza, 22 April 2013 - 01:06 PM.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#5 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

Injury to keep him out longer than the ban
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#6 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

What about the attempted bite by Craig Hall on Meli's arm?! :ph34r: :ph34r:

Kidding, kidding.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#7 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

Hmmm
It was bad but I don't think it was intentional
C or D

That said Hall almost deserved it for not passing

#8 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,324 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

Hmmm
C or D

That said Hall almost deserved it for not passing

The thing is though, it was highly dangerous. When a player is sprinting towards you, you have a responsibility not to take his head off his shoulders.

I don't like the grading of intentional as nobody will ever know and couldn't prove it on a high tackle, but there was no effort to hit Hall anywhere other than on his chin, and I think he was lucky that Hall wasn't seriously injured.

It really is as bad as any high tackle I have ever seen.

#9 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

Agreed, and the way Hall fell like the sack of proverbial and kinked himself was awful to watch.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#10 fester

fester
  • Coach
  • 515 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

His ban should start when his fit to play agen whats the point in a ban if his is gona be out for about 6 weeks

#11 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

The thing is though, it was highly dangerous. When a player is sprinting towards you, you have a responsibility not to take his head off his shoulders.

I don't like the grading of intentional as nobody will ever know and couldn't prove it on a high tackle, but there was no effort to hit Hall anywhere other than on his chin, and I think he was lucky that Hall wasn't seriously injured.

Personally, I think Rangi Chase on the Featherstone player last season was worse.  Did that player ever play again once he'd recovered from his broken jaw?

#12 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,324 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

His ban should start when his fit to play agen whats the point in a ban if his is gona be out for about 6 weeks

to be fair, that's not the way it works though. 

Maybe it should, although I can see a few problems with it. They would need to change the rules for future, not now.

#13 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

Can't do that.  Not mid season anyway.  Other players have served bans while injured already this season.

#14 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,324 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

Personally, I think Rangi Chase on the Featherstone player last season was worse.  Did that player ever play again once he'd recovered from his broken jaw?

I think the Chase one was a bad one as the player ended up injured, but unfortunately these shoulder charges do happen and often they hit a player in the face. Without opening a can of worms on here, I thought Chase's tackle wasn't technically as bad as Meli's. A swinging arm to the face has never been legal, Chase led with the shoulder and hit the face, which we saw probably half a dozen times last year, hence the ban.

#15 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

Did that player ever play again once he'd recovered from his broken jaw?

Yes, it was Tangi Roparti, and he was back in the side towards the end of the season. :)

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#16 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

I think the Chase one was a bad one as the player ended up injured, but unfortunately these shoulder charges do happen and often they hit a player in the face. Without opening a can of worms on here, I thought Chase's tackle wasn't technically as bad as Meli's. A swinging arm to the face has never been legal, Chase led with the shoulder and hit the face, which we saw probably half a dozen times last year, hence the ban.

A shoulder in the face was illegal last year and it was technically as bad, and actually did damage.  Chase got a three match ban for it which should have been double that. 

#17 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

Yes, it was Tangi Roparti, and he was back in the side towards the end of the season. :)

Glad to hear that. 

#18 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,324 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

A shoulder in the face was illegal last year and it was technically as bad, and actually did damage.  Chase got a three match ban for it which should have been double that. 

My point about not being technically as bad is that a shoulder charge to the upper body can often be a great hit - unfortunately they also have a risk of going wrong - as we have seen on a number of occasions.

The Meli tackle never had any kind of chance of success, or being legal. It was a shocking swinging arm.

#19 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:36 PM

Just to be clear, in terms of disciplinary charges intentional means any act where an outcome in question is a certain consequence of it and the player should have known to expect it, even if he did not deliberately mean to bring about that outcome.

Personally I do not see how anyone can say there was only a risk of making dangerous contact by sticking a stiff arm in front of someone's head rather than it being the only possible outcome, which is the difference between a reckless and an intentional charge.

#20 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 437 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

Just released:

Meli - Grade E (High Tackle)

Wilkin - Grade C (Shoulder charge) EPG Available

Gardner - Grade B (Shoulder charge) EPG Available

also

Henderson - Grade B (Striking) EPG Available

0 user(s) are reading this topic