Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Meli grading

where is your money?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,190 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:48 PM

I aint going to argue with any of those charges.  They all deserved what they have got.  I just hope they are all pleased with themselves for putting more pressure upon an already significantly under pressure team. :angry:

#22 LeeF

LeeF
  • Coach
  • 739 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:56 PM

I agree the charges look correct

The interesting bit will be the length of Meli's ban

#23 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,190 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:05 PM

I agree the charges look correct

The interesting bit will be the length of Meli's ban

Well, it can't be more than 8 weeks!  He's not allowed an early guilty plea either under that charge so it will definitely be four.

But he'd probably be out injured for at least that anyway, with a disclocated elbow.  Shenton's wasn't right after a full off-season (he did his in our 2011 grand final).  Longy's finished his career.

#24 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

Impressive grade E, and pleased they nailed Wilkin and Gardner.

#25 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,830 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

Just to be clear, in terms of disciplinary charges intentional means any act where an outcome in question is a certain consequence of it and the player should have known to expect it, even if he did not deliberately mean to bring about that outcome.

Personally I do not see how anyone can say there was only a risk of making dangerous contact by sticking a stiff arm in front of someone's head rather than it being the only possible outcome, which is the difference between a reckless and an intentional charge.

There's nothing clear about any of that, sorry. I've read it a few times and still have no idea.

#26 Cake Tiger

Cake Tiger
  • Coach
  • 720 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

Personally, I think Rangi Chase on the Featherstone player last season was worse.  Did that player ever play again once he'd recovered from his broken jaw?

Off topic I know but Tangi Ropati has been playing for the Auckland Vulcans this season - the New South Wales Cup team of the Warriors. 

#27 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:15 AM

There's nothing clear about any of that, sorry. I've read it a few times and still have no idea.

Just to be clearer, if a player does something illegal which could only have one possible outcome than it is considered intentional. So when a player is charged with doing something intentionally it does not mean they deliberately set out to injure someone.

With Meli it means no one is necessarily suggesting he deliberately wanted to attack Hall's head by saying he should be charged with an intentional stiff arm, but in the language of the disciplinary committee it is considered intentional if they feel there was no other possible outcome from him sticking his arm out other than hitting Hall above the shoulders.

Basically intentional means something different to the disciplinary committee than how it is normally used by everyone else.

#28 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:58 AM

I have a theory, reasonably knowledgeable about inner-workings, a bit annoying at times and emphasis on JtbC, are you James Child? You are aren't you?

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#29 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

They can ban Meli for as long as they like, I seriously doubt he will play again this season and with him being OOC he wont be getting a new contract for Saints, especially as Jodie Broughton's agent having confirmed he's spoken to Saints about a move to LP for next season.

#30 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

wilkin is one dirty sly scrote even worse than ryan bailey, he ran in against widnes when ben cross was being held by other saints players to smack ben, just a shame he isn't playing next week i am sure ben would want a word with him
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#31 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

wilkin is one dirty sly scrote even worse than ryan bailey, he ran in against widnes when ben cross was being held by other saints players to smack ben, just a shame he isn't playing next week i am sure ben would want a word with him

They could have a chat after the game if Ben wants a word. Or are you suggesting something else?

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#32 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

It seems Wilkin has copped two games and Gardner one! 

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#33 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,190 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

It seems Wilkin has copped two games and Gardner one! 

With four for Meli and a £500 fine for our coach who called the ref 'dumbo in the middle' on Sky after the Catalans game.  This of course follows on from Brown's second in command being fined £500 for abusing the ref after the Salford game.

I feel embarrassed by this behaviour which has appeared since Brown came on board. I hope this is now the end of it.

#34 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:52 PM

With four for Meli and a £500 fine for our coach who called the ref 'dumbo in the middle' on Sky after the Catalans game.  This of course follows on from Brown's second in command being fined £500 for abusing the ref after the Salford game.

I feel embarrassed by this behaviour which has appeared since Brown came on board. I hope this is now the end of it.

Not a good day at the office! I also feel embarrassed at what's gone on. 

Edited by Saint Billinge, 23 April 2013 - 08:56 PM.

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#35 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,865 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:12 PM

Just to be clearer, if a player does something illegal which could only have one possible outcome than it is considered intentional. So when a player is charged with doing something intentionally it does not mean they deliberately set out to injure someone.

With Meli it means no one is necessarily suggesting he deliberately wanted to attack Hall's head by saying he should be charged with an intentional stiff arm, but in the language of the disciplinary committee it is considered intentional if they feel there was no other possible outcome from him sticking his arm out other than hitting Hall above the shoulders.

Basically intentional means something different to the disciplinary committee than how it is normally used by everyone else.

Isnt the term 'virtual certainty'

So if you perform an act and don't intend the outcome but it is a virtual certainty that the outcome is going to happen then the act is classed as intentional, which forms the mensrea which finds him guilty of the offence.

Well that's the rule in criminal law and I'd imagine it's transferred into RL.

Edited by barrowraiderskid, 23 April 2013 - 10:13 PM.

#36 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,939 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:31 AM

4 games is disgraceful. That really isnt enough to send out a strong message.

#37 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:46 AM

i cant remember the last time the disciplinary sent out a strong message to anyone. They are good with minor offences - but if that is only wirth 4 games then i suspect we'll never see a ban higher than that for high tackles.

#38 MOT

MOT
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:55 AM

So what Meli did is equivalent/not as bad (early guilty plea) as the offences that Bailey is currently suspended for?

#39 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,939 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

So what Meli did is equivalent/not as bad (early guilty plea) as the offences that Bailey is currently suspended for?

Cant comment on the Bailey incident as i have not sen it.

Meli is the worse one i have ever seen and thats after watching RL at all levels.

It deserved a ten match ban.

#40 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

if it had been gaz hock it would have been considerably longer,
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users