where is your money?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:06 AM

Poor effort from the disciplinary committee, who was sitting?

#42 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,733 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

So what Meli did is equivalent/not as bad (early guilty plea) as the offences that Bailey is currently suspended for?

IIRC Bailey is banned for two offences (2 matches each I think) so the disciplinary have deemed it to be worse.

#43 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:22 AM

Have to say that only getting the minimum ban for that grading is very poor. I believe a minimum of 6 games should have been given for that tackle.

What would be very interesting is if Mr Sadler could use his contacts in Oz to see how they would grade and ban that tackle, just as a comparision. We often talk about us being soft in this Country and harder in Oz, could we try and find out?

#44 MOT

MOT
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

IIRC Bailey is banned for two offences (2 matches each I think) so the disciplinary have deemed it to be worse.

I meant the combined offences from Bailey i.e. a 2 match and a 3 batch ban (reduced to 2) are effectively deemed as worse than the offence from Meli - 5 v 4

#45 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,733 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:26 AM

I meant the combined offences from Bailey i.e. a 2 match and a 3 batch ban (reduced to 2) are effectively deemed as worse than the offence from Meli - 5 v 4

Don't get me wrong, I think Meli's sentence was too lenient but you are comparing two events v one

#46 sallywt

sallywt
  • Coach
  • 510 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

Whilst I understand the reasoning behind the ban the annoying thing is that Meli will be out for longer with the injury that he sustained in the tackle than the ban and we also have Gardner banned for one game and Welham who he injured in the tackle out for weeks.  Where is the justice in that?

#47 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

It makes more sense to compare the Wilkin incident to the second of Baileys as they were very similar, and both received the same ban. So that seems consistent!

#48 MOT

MOT
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:11 AM

All I'm getting at is that it's a horror 'tackle' and should be suitably punished. If it were Bailey, Hock or another player with a reputation then I think the punishment would have been harsher

#49 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

All I'm getting at is that it's a horror 'tackle' and should be suitably punished. If it were Bailey, Hock or another player with a reputation then I think the punishment would have been harsher

Dont agree at all.

The punishment would likely have been harsher had it been a player with a poor disciplinary record (note i didnt use the word reputation because this is largely irrelevant). If a player has a history of poor tackles, and previous bans etc then the punishment would be worse and rightly so.

It was a bad tackle, no doubt about that, but i reckon the 4 games came from the fact that I dont think Meli has a bad previous record.

#50 MOT

MOT
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

Dont agree at all.

The punishment would likely have been harsher had it been a player with a poor disciplinary record (note i didnt use the word reputation because this is largely irrelevant). If a player has a history of poor tackles, and previous bans etc then the punishment would be worse and rightly so.

It was a bad tackle, no doubt about that, but i reckon the 4 games came from the fact that I dont think Meli has a bad previous record.

Our opinions differ

I agree that Meli has a good disciplinary record (and my choice of wording was to assist my argument) but if we're bringing that in, despite his reputation, Bailey's disciplinary record isn't that bad.

You can be an angel with a perfect disciplinary record but if you take someone's head off then to me, 4 games isn't sufficient.

#51 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

Have to say that only getting the minimum ban for that grading is very poor. I believe a minimum of 6 games should have been given for that tackle.

What would be very interesting is if Mr Sadler could use his contacts in Oz to see how they would grade and ban that tackle, just as a comparision. We often talk about us being soft in this Country and harder in Oz, could we try and find out?

I think he could have considered himself fortunate if he had got six games, I can't understand how he only got four. It was a sickener.

You've got to take your hat off to Graig Hall the way he just got up and carried on (once he regained consciousness that is). He went on to have a very good game too.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#52 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

Our opinions differ

I agree that Meli has a good disciplinary record (and my choice of wording was to assist my argument) but if we're bringing that in, despite his reputation, Bailey's disciplinary record isn't that bad.

You can be an angel with a perfect disciplinary record but if you take someone's head off then to me, 4 games isn't sufficient.

I agree with that, Baileys record is actually quite good despite his reputation. I just dont think reputation is used against players when it comes to bans. As i mentioned earlier, Bailey and Wilkin got the same ban for almost identical tackles, as long as the disciplinary are consistent then Its hard to argue against it.

What I think is open to argument is the gradings and the length of bans for certain tackles/incidents. I agree what was mentioned previously that the NRL do seem far more strict in relation to discpline, so maybe thats something thats needed here, but the thing i disagreed with was that reputation was a factor in the final ban.

#53 MOT

MOT
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

I agree with that, Baileys record is actually quite good despite his reputation. I just dont think reputation is used against players when it comes to bans. As i mentioned earlier, Bailey and Wilkin got the same ban for almost identical tackles, as long as the disciplinary are consistent then Its hard to argue against it.

What I think is open to argument is the gradings and the length of bans for certain tackles/incidents. I agree what was mentioned previously that the NRL do seem far more strict in relation to discpline, so maybe thats something thats needed here, but the thing i disagreed with was that reputation was a factor in the final ban.

You're probably right (although I won't outright admit that) and it's mainly the sceptic and/or bias in me that blurs my vision at times.

I think the NRL and dare I say it, RU, are both more strict. It's not tiddlywinks and there's potential for injuries, career ending or worse, so for me bans should serve as both punishment and a deterrent to others

#54 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

Chase only got three matches last year for breaking the opposition player's jaw and Chase has a worse reputation than Meli, so I think your argument is flawed.

Meli could have received four to eight matches.  Four seems fairly reasonable although I wouldn't have protested at six. 

#55 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

Cant comment on the Bailey incident as i have not sen it.

Meli is the worse one i have ever seen and thats after watching RL at all levels.

It deserved a ten match ban.

I couldn't agree more about him getting a 10 game ban. When will the RFL get serious about this sort of unaccepable foul play?

#56 MOT

MOT
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:44 PM

Chase only got three matches last year for breaking the opposition player's jaw and Chase has a worse reputation than Meli, so I think your argument is flawed.

Meli could have received four to eight matches.  Four seems fairly reasonable although I wouldn't have protested at six. 

It just reinforces my point that punishments are insufficient in RL, Chase wasn't sent off either was he? 

#57 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

It just reinforces my point that punishments are insufficient in RL, Chase wasn't sent off either was he? 

Nope.  He should have been and he should have been charged with a Grade E.  I struggle to see the difference between Chase's challenge and Meli's to be honest.  Both deserved a Grade E.  But then again, IMO so did Bailey on Fa'asavalu all those years ago but it was legal to smash someone in the face with your shoulder back then so nothing at all was done.  I guess what ban a player gets and for what offence all depends on during what season the offence takes place!  Pot luck really.

#58 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

Nope.  He should have been and he should have been charged with a Grade E.  I struggle to see the difference between Chase's challenge and Meli's to be honest.  Both deserved a Grade E.  But then again, IMO so did Bailey on Fa'asavalu all those years ago but it was legal to smash someone in the face with your shoulder back then so nothing at all was done.  I guess what ban a player gets and for what offence all depends on during what season the offence takes place!  Pot luck really.

I think everyone in the game thought the Chase ban was a total joke. Serious acts of foul play such as these should merit very large bans. Travis Burns copped a 9 game ban in Oz for a takle that did not look as bad as that.

#59 MOT

MOT
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:39 AM

I think everyone in the game thought the Chase ban was a total joke. Serious acts of foul play such as these should merit very large bans. Travis Burns copped a 9 game ban in Oz for a takle that did not look as bad as that.

I know it wasn't to the same degree but his 'tackle' on Hardaker was effectively the same thing, his/was technique is all over the shop if you jump into a shoulder charge

#60 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,161 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

Yes it would because they take a players previous record into account.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users