Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

More English players off to NRL

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

Wigan's Dom Crosby, Sheffield's Colton Roche and Dewsbury's Tom Lillycrop all reported to be off to NRL clubs in 2014 according to the Aussie press. I've seen Crosby play, but are the other 2 good players?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:25 AM

And yet Andy Clapp still tells us that the NRL produces more world-class players than they can shake a stick at.

They do, Australia could field 4 or 5 teams that could give us(England/GB) a run for our money.

#3 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:19 AM

Canetman pops up again.

Face the Facts and stop telling Fairy Tales - hope you sleep well at night.

#4 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:41 AM

With all due respect to them, are Wigan's Dom Crosby, Sheffield's Colton Roche and Dewsbury's Tom Lillycrop really 'top players'? Maybe it is just that the NRL have realised that with the AUD doing so well, England is a valid hunting ground, and some teams are also looking for young players who will fit well with their system? Why would a 10 team SL attract more top players than a 14 team SL?

#5 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:04 AM

I see this as no different to the handful that went over earlier this year to reserve grades like Lee Mitchell and Shaun Ainscough.

You know what the NRL needs, an overseas quota...

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#6 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:07 AM

Probably mentioned elsewhere, but I've not spotted it yet - Wigan have an 11am press conference today expected to confirm the departure of Hock and Mossop to Paramatta.

Be interesting to see how they go.

Premier Sports must be delighted!

#7 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,244 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:21 AM

This is all good news.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#8 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:48 AM

Crosby has seemed an excellent junior who is just making his break now. I was expecting big things from him. Combined with the loss of Hock and Mossop (which I hadn't been worried about) I am now starting to get slightly nervous, especially when combined with a possible loss of Sam next year.

#9 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,081 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:50 AM

Anybody any idea how many overseas players each NRL club has?

More or less than our clubs?

#10 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,057 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:34 AM

Anybody any idea how many overseas players each NRL club has?

More or less than our clubs?

Very difficult to say as alot of players who you think are Kiwis or islanders are actually born and bred Aussies. I would guess not many maybe an average of 3/4 a team.

#11 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 498 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:48 AM

I can see somebody at premier sports has a good knowledge of the game, as people will start following the NRL properly once there is a lot of English interest. Iv always admired there league but never really bothered about it but with the burgess boys etc I'm going to get my first premier sports subscription.
waddell

#12 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:00 AM

I heard on the tv coverage the other day that 30% of the nrl players are Polynesian, with the Holden cup being a hell of a lot more than that too.

#13 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:42 AM

I expect more and more to be off (Top players) i also suspect that unless there is a 10 team SL that is able to attract some of the best talent SKY will pull the plug next time round (Not taking the WC is an obvious sign that interest in RL in the UK is waning) I also expect FOX (Australia) to lower their coverage of RU over the next few years.

CM

Oh do shut up. Sky don't have the world cup because they wanted the whole thing not half the games.

And why would they get rid of their 2nd highest rating sport? One that they also get on the cheap.

Don't tell me, Vladimir Putin told you all this on when you got together for a sundowner on his yacht in the south of France. 

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#14 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

St George Illawarra have signed a young up and coming English forward, to be announced shortly apparently.

Dont get this confused with Rangi Chase, who knows whats happening with that one!

#15 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 279 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:32 AM

I think it is marvellous news that lots of Brits are going to the NRL. This could be the making of the international game and could signal the end of Australias dominance. We have already seen the benefits to the Kiwis of having so many in the NRL. Yes they lose the mid season one off's, but they have won several competitions in the last decade.

Edited by jacksy, 23 April 2013 - 11:33 AM.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

#16 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,755 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

I expect more and more to be off (Top players) i also suspect that unless there is a 10 team SL that is able to attract some of the best talent SKY will pull the plug next time round (Not taking the WC is an obvious sign that interest in RL in the UK is waning) I also expect FOX (Australia) to lower their coverage of RU over the next few years.

CM

Oh look, someone crowbaring in an agenda at every opportunity, aint that grand.

This should be good news though, getting young players into the NRL should help our national team if nothing else.

#17 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

I'm not convinced that having a winning national team truly helps a sport! I mean when was the last time the English football team won anything?

That said good luck to Mossop and Hock

#18 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,219 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

noticed on twitter also about St.George signing up an English forward.. League week and the Mole saying its a done deal. Maybe its one of the lads mentioned above.

Always thought Larne Patrick's style of forward play would suit the NRL.

Edit: Mike Coopers name being linked to the St.George rumour

Edited by EastLondonMike, 23 April 2013 - 12:00 PM.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#19 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:00 PM

It didn't do English RU any harm.

#20 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

It didn't do English RU any harm.

Neither did the blanket media attention they started getting after RU went professional.