Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

More English players off to NRL

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 Fax1978

Fax1978
  • Coach
  • 568 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

Wigan's Dom Crosby, Sheffield's Colton Roche and Dewsbury's Tom Lillycrop all reported to be off to NRL clubs in 2014 according to the Aussie press. I've seen Crosby play, but are the other 2 good players?

lillycrop has the potential to be a great prop not very tall but short and stocky with a good engine and hits the line hard. Roche has done ok when I've seen him in his first real season of first team rugby with Sheffield couldnt see him getting sl first team never mind nrl for a couple of years.

#42 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:00 PM

I expect more and more to be off (Top players) i also suspect that unless there is a 10 team SL that is able to attract some of the best talent SKY will pull the plug next time round (Not taking the WC is an obvious sign that interest in RL in the UK is waning) I also expect FOX (Australia) to lower their coverage of RU over the next few years.
CM

Well, in my experience, you're never far out CM. My money's on you
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#43 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:12 PM

Why are NRL clubs pillaging England for players? Because they are quality talents who can help NRL clubs get that vital edge. If NRL clubs are recruiting Fijians and South Africans who have never seen a game of RL (purely on potential), then a RL-trained English player is a great recruitment prospect.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#44 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

Maybe NRL clubs rate the quality of talent in SL a little higher than the NRL centric fans and zealots that are constantly putting the British game down.

Edited by giwildgo, 23 April 2013 - 07:28 PM.

#45 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:31 PM

In terms of Crosby specifically, I'd be surprised if he's going to the NRL - Wigan itself is a distant land to most Leythers.

#46 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,630 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:44 PM

no it is not

and in essence stopped the asset stripping I was talking about!

That option isn't open to us.

Maybe NRL clubs rate the quality of talent in SL a little higher than the NRL centric fans and zealots that are constantly putting the British game down.

this one

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#47 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 356 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

So why are they taking more of our players than ever before?

By the way, your assertion that Australia's 5th team could beat England is ridiculous.

Why not? Your line of reasoning doesn't make any sense. Just because the NRL can afford to sign English players, English players good enough for the NRL, doesn't mean that the NRL isn't a superior competition which produces superior players.

America produces the best American football players, but they're not averse to picking up non-Americans.

I'm sure there's a couple of Nigerians playing in the English Premier League, but is there any doubts that the English Premier League is head and shoulders above whatever top level football competition they have in Nigeria?

#48 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,763 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

If this exodus grows it could be the end of dual registration.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#49 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,717 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

So how many English players will be playing in the NRL next season so far then?

Souths: Burgess x 4
St George: Widdop
Parramatta: Hock & Mossop
Brisbane: Reid
Canterbury: Graham
Cowboys: Moore

How many have I missed?
Posted Image

#50 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,937 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:04 PM

Russell at Gold Coast Titans. Heighington technically.

#51 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:19 PM

So how many English players will be playing in the NRL next season so far then?
Souths: Burgess x 4
St George: Widdop
Parramatta: Hock & Mossop
Brisbane: Reid
Canterbury: Graham
Cowboys: Moore
How many have I missed?

Tom briscoe: cronulla?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users