Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Wigan confirm Andy Powell code switch

Great for Welsh Rugby League!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 975 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/22250876

#2 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:01 PM

Anybody know anything about this bloke? Is he any good at union? Is he likely to be able to switch to league. Be good if he's a decnet player, as Wales need as much experience and talent as possible ahead of the World Cup.

#3 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,171 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:03 PM

He was a typical union idiot getting drunk and trying to drive a golf cart down the M4. Quote "We've all done it".

Now of course, he is a working class hero.

#4 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:09 AM

He did say that RL is tougher than RU, cut the guy some slack

#5 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:00 AM

It will get people talking down here in the South, Rugby Union fans talking about the rugby league world cup etc like in my local rugby club last night thats why it will be good for Wales RL.

I personally think he will be very good at league has all the attributes to do so, I'm a massive league fan but I just hope he smashes people on his first run and it wouldnt surprise me if he did at all.

League might be toughter than union agreed, but league have the biggest moaners by far.

You would find something to moan about if league was given a 1 Billion Investment Blah Blah Blah

#6 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

The biggest thing he'll struggle with is the 10 metres.. Getting back onside and having to push up off the line. Once he adapts to that he should be fine. Will be interesting to see how well he adapts his tackling technique.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#7 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,844 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:24 AM

Moderating note:  The thread stays on this main forum for now.  Rules are:

- this is a thread about Andy Powell and Wigan

- any union and league comparisons should be limited to what position he plays and where he could play and must be in good faith, no rants or whines about union.  This is a rugby league forum, we don't want a thread whining about union on here.

Anything else and it gets binned to the cross-code dungeon.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#8 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:31 AM

I personally think he will be very good at league has all the attributes to do so, I'm a massive league fan but I just hope he smashes people on his first run and it wouldnt surprise me if he did at all.

League might be toughter than union agreed, but league have the biggest moaners by far.

Self censored

Edited by bearman, 24 April 2013 - 08:33 AM.

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#9 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,434 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

The biggest thing he'll struggle with is the 10 metres.. Getting back onside and having to push up off the line.

Fitness levels in Rugby Union are much better than they were only a few years ago. The area I'd worry about is his RU positional instincts sending him to the wrong place in situations when there's little time to think. He's played the other code for ages, and it takes time to unlearn things as well as learn them.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#10 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 969 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

Fitness levels in Rugby Union are much better than they were only a few years ago. The area I'd worry about is his RU positional instincts sending him to the wrong place in situations when there's little time to think. He's played the other code for ages, and it takes time to unlearn things as well as learn them.

I think it fair to say a lot of the RU conditioning these days is on a par with what you get in RL, sometimes it is superior. Obviously he will need to change his programme to fit the specifics of RL but you would expect his base levels to be pretty good.

#11 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

A friend of mine who watches Sale claims he's one of the fittest at the club. 

#12 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:48 AM

Wigan , used to play Paleaaesina , Andy Powell will will have the stamina of James Graham by comparison..

Brian Noble was reported as trying to Gazump the Powell signing in an effort to stay at Salford City Stadium  with the  Reds.

There are noises that Salford are also going to sign from RU    

Powell is also thought to have turned down a late approach from new Salford Coach Brian Noble.

“Brian first asked me to come across to rugby league when I was about 18,” said the back-rower.

“I was going to do it two years ago (at Celtic Crusaders, also with Noble) but I hadn’t done a [rugby union] World Cup. Now the time is right.”

Trevor Baxter
Mirror 24.4.13.

#13 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,429 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

Waste of money for me. Too old and will be around for likely 2 years max. If Wigan or whoever want to chase a Union player then go for somebody young and wont cost that much. I dont see the need to waste good money on somebody who has never played the game really, certainly not at Pro level. It just looks like a marketing signing.

#14 MOT

MOT
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:22 AM

It will get people talking down here in the South, Rugby Union fans talking about the rugby league world cup etc like in my local rugby club last night thats why it will be good for Wales RL.

You would find something to moan about if league was given a 1 Billion Investment Blah Blah Blah

I hope that's the case. Question I have is it purely PR for Welsh RL and the RLWC or do WIgan see something in him, moving from Union to League at 31. I don't know but are his best years behind him?

#15 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:51 AM

I hope that's the case. Question I have is it purely PR for Welsh RL and the RLWC or do WIgan see something in him, moving from Union to League at 31. I don't know but are his best years behind him?

could well be the case. Sporting Life are reporting that he may start his RL career at South Wales Scorpions. If so I expect him to be paraded around a bit to raise the profile of the club and the sport in general down there.

I have a feeling this might be a big reason why he was brought in, to get more juniors coming through that part of the system.

#16 MOT

MOT
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

could well be the case. Sporting Life are reporting that he may start his RL career at South Wales Scorpions. If so I expect him to be paraded around a bit to raise the profile of the club and the sport in general down there.

I have a feeling this might be a big reason why he was brought in, to get more juniors coming through that part of the system.

Thanks RidingPie. As an advocate for the expansion of the game, I don't have an issue with that but do Wigan fans? I guess the answer will come if/when he plays for Wigan

#17 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

l. It just looks like a marketing signing.

There's nowt wrong with that if they have the money. Big plus for Wales and the World Cup if he comes good.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#18 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

Thanks RidingPie. As an advocate for the expansion of the game, I don't have an issue with that but do Wigan fans? I guess the answer will come if/when he plays for Wigan

I'm an advocate of expansion as well so it doesn't bother me, in fact it kind of gives me a glimpse of Lenegans business logic. Other Wiganers might not be happy, but this combined with one of the other parts of the announcement, that Wigan will now be putting anoter £100,000 per year in to youth development it looks like it could all dovetail together pretty well.

As for Powell playing for Wigan, for Wane to put him in the first team he'll have to play with some pride. He hasn't gone too far wrong yet.

#19 MOT

MOT
  • Players
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

I'm an advocate of expansion as well so it doesn't bother me, in fact it kind of gives me a glimpse of Lenegans business logic. Other Wiganers might not be happy, but this combined with one of the other parts of the announcement, that Wigan will now be putting anoter £100,000 per year in to youth development it looks like it could all dovetail together pretty well.

As for Powell playing for Wigan, for Wane to put him in the first team he'll have to play with some pride. He hasn't gone too far wrong yet.

Equally until Wales have there own SL side again, is it not a potential market for the likes of Wigan?

With the cash raised from Hock and Mossop and the long term contract for Farrell, it looks like Wigan are running smoothly

#20 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

Are we sure he's gonna play for Wales, Maurie Fa'asavalu anyone?

;)

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users