Dewsbury Match

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#41 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,767 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

Our pack is a match for all teams in this league , but I do agree that we have to find more behind the scrum . We haven't won 3 games because of the pack , I wouldn't swap ours for any other when they're all fit . It's the edge behind it to turn possession and territory into points on a consistent basis .

Edited by DavidM, 25 April 2013 - 04:36 PM.

#42 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

bkm + havenforever = pora pora

sorry bomber not me

#43 pora pora

pora pora
  • Banned
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

If any one is blowing out of their arris, pora pora, it is you.    In a tough derby game Town only had 3 subs and then that went down to 2 when Morris got injured so, yes, if that meant they were blowing out of their arris' then what does that say about Haven's world beating 17?

You also forget that you have 14 points from 11 games whilst we have 11 points from 9 games.   You will probably come back and say but one of the outstanding games is away to Fev but seeing as how you also have to go to Fev then another game may be that outstanding game if you get my drift.  

Of the teams round about us you have only played York at home whilst we have only played Barrow and Haven so that doesn't mean that you have the easier fixtures as you are so fond of saying.    You also are asking Town fans to forget about Haven, well correct me if I'm wrong here, but what the h**l are you doing on here spouting your garbage?    I think it's you that needs to forget about Town but judging by the amount of threads you start on the Haven forum about Town you seem a little besotted with us!!!!

keith you always have a excuse for your teams shortfalls WE ONLY HAD 16 WE ONLY HAD 2 PROPS whats that got to do with anything, other teams cant pick your team for you and its no fault of other clubs if you cant muster a full 17 up.you simply dont like the fact ive said you,ll get beat on sunday,.save your abuse for someone who caresthis is a forum isnt it like the one you lot frequent in havenfans.co.uk .   

#44 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:48 PM

There's a long way to go yet and i don't feel we have performed to our potential yet for some reason. Them lot up the road say we think we are "world beaters" and "the greatest rugby league team in the world" but that's not true. IMO
we are good enough to be in this league and to compete in it and are the better team in cumbria but we just need to play to our potential more then we will be able to told our own. On paper we are fairly strong. I just hope fixture congestion doesn't affect us too much.

#45 kieran

kieran
  • Coach
  • 201 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

3 points below with 2 games in hand? which would then take us 3 points above you if we win, all works out

the topic was the dewsbury match and what i commented on,just because you beat haven doesnt mean you,ll beat everyone.some of your puddled fans even think your team is full of future sl players.well smell the coffee your below us in the league what does that tell you.after sundays results you could also be staring at championship 1.forget about haven or can you not?

#46 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:11 PM

Pora mate, the way we are playing away there is every chance we will get beat at Dewsbury if we play like we have at Donny and York. But my point was that even though you have played poorly in some games recently you have a very confident outlook on your season. Yes Sheffield was a good win, but to assume you be way off relegation after the next few matches requires a big leap of faith IMO. To concede the points you did against London at home and then to be beat by us when you had us on the rack for the first 25 mins and we were 2 players light from the bench at the end does not follow your logic.
Personally unless our away form improves we will be hovering around the lower end of the table, I have no delusions about that but I don't and won't go on the haven site boasting Town are better than Haven. I could understand it if you were 10 clear with 3 games left, but your team aren't even playing with confidence and your supporters are drifting away. Or have I missed something?
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#47 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

keith you always have a excuse for your teams shortfalls WE ONLY HAD 16 WE ONLY HAD 2 PROPS whats that got to do with anything, other teams cant pick your team for you and its no fault of other clubs if you cant muster a full 17 up.you simply dont like the fact ive said you,ll get beat on sunday,.save your abuse for someone who caresthis is a forum isnt it like the one you lot frequent in havenfans.co.uk .   

I wasn't making any excuses, if you read what I said, and I certainly don't want anyone else to pick our team.    The only reason we have only 17 players is because of injuries again.     I can take you back through threads on here and on your own site where Haven fans have said the same thing about only having 2 subs because of injuries in the match but that wouldn't be the same would it cos' it's Haven!!!!

Who has said we only had two props?    I think you need a reality check pora pora, we actually beat you on Sunday you know, so why would we need excuses?    If, in your opinion, our players were blowing out of their arris then what does that say about your team that couldn't beat 17 apparently knackered players?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#48 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 459 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:17 PM

Just been looking at the potential Dewsbury team and noticed that they often use Makali Aizue ( former HKR and Papua New Guinea International forward ) off the subs bench. He is still some handful.

#49 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:26 PM

Dewsbury have failed to score any points in the second half for the majority of there recent games. This stinks of lack of fitness and more importantly lack of belief. Something Worky has in spades. If worky get off to a a good start this is more than a winnable game and Worky should be going all out early doors to impose that lack of belief currently on show at dewsbury. Pepper Goulding in defence ( we will need to shift the ball to do this) and if pryce plays full back we should kick early  at every opportunity - within 20minutes he will be blowing through his ######. 

#50 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,767 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

That's right , for some reason we've been far to passive in to many away games . Away wins are massive , as they give a great chance of back to back wins , which in this condensed league are priceless , so lets get into a confident mentality away from home , because we have the ability to win these kinds of fixtures . Lets have the belief to get on the front foot , and more than anything , start well and show intent .

#51 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

Pora mate, the way we are playing away there is every chance we will get beat at Dewsbury if we play like we have at Donny and York. But my point was that even though you have played poorly in some games recently you have a very confident outlook on your season. Yes Sheffield was a good win, but to assume you be way off relegation after the next few matches requires a big leap of faith IMO. To concede the points you did against London at home and then to be beat by us when you had us on the rack for the first 25 mins and we were 2 players light from the bench at the end does not follow your logic.
Personally unless our away form improves we will be hovering around the lower end of the table, I have no delusions about that but I don't and won't go on the haven site boasting Town are better than Haven. I could understand it if you were 10 clear with 3 games left, but your team aren't even playing with confidence and your supporters are drifting away. Or have I missed something?

Good post marra.
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#52 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 459 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:45 PM

I hope he forgives me for quoting him, but Blind side Johnny (who often writes a lot of sense) wrote the following on the Dewsbury Forum.
"I don't know if everyone is avoiding the topic but we do have a very important game on Sunday. For me this represents a real opportunity to properly assess where the team are in terms of development and quality at the present time and how our coaching staff are responding to a number of setbacks. Workington are the sort of side that we would hope to defeat at home, having recently been promoted and having simlar budgetary constraints to ourselves. However last week they won a hard-fought contset away at Whitehaven, who are no pushovers on their own patch, and seem to be developing into a strong unit - still a bottom-half team, like ourselves, but one of the stronger ones.

Some weeks ago, when we were riding high (remember?) we would have been looking forward to this game with great confidence. Now, after some unsatisfactory results, we are just a little nervous about what the game will reveal. Do we have the mental fortitude to play well for 80 minutes? Have the players developed the maturity to stick with the game plan for the whole match? Will we be able to score in the second half? Will Karl Price still get picked? Etc.

I predict a tense game in front of a sparse crowd".
Like many of us thinks, this is a game that can go either way. The real Town can take the points.

#53 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,767 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:57 PM

The last line is the key , we have the quality match winners scattered throughout a solid 17 to win these games. I just wish the real town would come out to play more often on a weekly basis , and for more than spells in a single game . We have a championship level squad , we just need to find the consistency , mentality on the road and smarts on the paddock and we can cement our place and more in this league . I still think those smarts will only come from tinkering with the halves .

Edited by DavidM, 25 April 2013 - 06:06 PM.

#54 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

The last line is the key , we have the quality match winners scattered throughout a solid 17 to win these games. I just wish the real town would come out to play more often on a weekly basis , and for more than spells in a single game . We have a championship level squad , we just need to find the consistency , mentality on the road and smarts on the paddock and we can cement our place and more in this league . I still think those smarts will only come from tinkering with the halves .

and it shows in the points for column in the league - 2nd lowest scored so far in this league. 

#55 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

and it shows in the points for column in the league - 2nd lowest scored so far in this league. 

To be honest we under achieved last season in a poor league and we seem to have carried that over to this season for whatever reason.

Many fans want to see a half-back that takes on and challenges the defensive line more consistently than we get at the moment but to date there doesn't seem to be any moves to bring that about.     Our defence cannot be faulted, the last seconds at Haven confirm that when two prop forwards made the initial tackle on the Haven winger to prevent a score.     We really do need the whole squad to step up to the plate together and when they do that we will win games that to date we are struggling to just and so win.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#56 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,767 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

That's right wonder , and if you equate that with the amount of territory and sets in the opposition 20 we often have it tells the story .

Edited by DavidM, 25 April 2013 - 06:19 PM.

#57 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

yes i'd agree with that David especially on the halves tinkering and consistency. Also a bit of work on the kicking game would help.

#58 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,767 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

Our halves have tried to break the line Keith but don't have the speed to go right through it . Lupton does fine for a loose forward playing there , I can't fault his efforts , but the other two aren't giving other teams nightmares are they . We need a new combo to get full payback off our packs dominance , to me it's staring us in the face . Callum Phillips and our top Aussie who is getting seen about as much as Lord Lucan where he is now . Free Lupton up to do his own thing without all the pressure being on him solely to pull the strings ,and we have more prongs of genuine threat . We have good quality potential match winners , we need to get them all in the key positions where they're influencing the game .

Edited by DavidM, 25 April 2013 - 06:42 PM.

#59 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

To be honest we under achieved last season in a poor league and we seem to have carried that over to this season for whatever reason.

Many fans want to see a half-back that takes on and challenges the defensive line more consistently than we get at the moment but to date there doesn't seem to be any moves to bring that about.     Our defence cannot be faulted, the last seconds at Haven confirm that when two prop forwards made the initial tackle on the Haven winger to prevent a score.     We really do need the whole squad to step up to the plate together and when they do that we will win games that to date we are struggling to just and so win.

Sorry Keith our two poor performances at York and Donny there was some very lack lustre tackling. Normally our defence is ok but for whatever reason it can lapse around the fringes and most teams try to exploit us there especially on our right side.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#60 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,767 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

Carcassone hit that side a lot over the 80. Troy Savage had a stormer . Now there's an outside back . Generally we have a good defence but now and again it's gone AWOL . Doubly important away when your under the cosh more .

Edited by DavidM, 25 April 2013 - 06:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users