Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dewsbury Match

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#61 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,217 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:52 PM

In passing I'm shocked that Premier Sports aren't showing any game tonight in a full league week , and one that includes the biggest league game of the season in Fev v Fax . Surely it's a no brainer to show that and use it to promote the game and the league . Very strange

#62 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:57 PM

getting into the oppostion 20 is never a problem . Its when you get there that i think certain playes try to hard and dont let the ball do the hard work. Carter for all his great work is one of those players who sometimes try's to hard add to that a few more trying to barge over when the option of the overlap is stirring them in the face. Direction from the halves is what is needed and hard work on the training ground will see it work itself out.

Ive watched a couple of training sessions this year and its not for want of coaching - consistantly hitting the egdes during training, just need to convert this into the game plan and stick to it.

#63 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,933 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

Sorry Keith our two poor performances at York and Donny there was some very lack lustre tackling. Normally our defence is ok but for whatever reason it can lapse around the fringes and most teams try to exploit us there especially on our right side.

I agree Voodooguru but since the York match I think we have improved our defence which, as you say, was none existant in those matches.   The right hand side of defence has been our achilles heel for some time now but last year we got away with it by scoring more points.   It gets highlighted more this season because we are not scoring points.     Several games last year we were 16, 18 points down through poor defence but we were able to come back and outscore the opponents and we tended to forget our poor that defence was.    

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#64 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,217 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

Do they try different combinations on the training paddock ?? Gelling new partnerships in the key creative area needs work in training.

#65 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

the wins all 3 of them have been won by the skin of your teeth and a derby game doesnt reflect a seasons games its totally different dewsbury will be fired up at home  and looking to get back in the saddle and collect all three points without giving a bonus point away. 11 up

This is  choccy, isn't it ?

#66 ameliasdaddy

ameliasdaddy
  • Workington
  • 137 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:37 PM

I like Andy Morris a lot but he's so slow off the mark he's easily exposed. His defence is good but I think he's easily kept at arms length, deffo get luppy to loose kayle and Calum at half back olstrom spelling Matty at 9.
I would like to see Hume in centre with mossop, 10 games in and coyle still doesn't look fit, free up his wages for someone else.

#67 ameliasdaddy

ameliasdaddy
  • Workington
  • 137 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:44 PM

the wins all 3 of them have been won by the skin of your teeth and a derby game doesnt reflect a seasons games its totally different dewsbury will be fired up at home and looking to get back in the saddle and collect all three points without giving a bonus point away. 11 up

Skin of our teeth???

Beat barrow 38 10,

Beat haven by 28 16,

Swinton was skin of teeth but I'll take anything away from home.

League table doesn't lie but I'm not worried about relegation and for what it's worth neither should haven be.

#68 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 683 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:49 PM

Haven fans should be banned off here...talk siht and are boring the kegs off me...

#69 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,217 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

Good post there mate . And I like Morris to , but he is to slow off the mark and lacks the speed and fluency of movement needed in a centre at this level . He may be good from 5 yards but I can't see him being a threat from 45 . He has great assets and a physical prescence you can't buy , it's just how we use him to maximise his impact and minimise his propensity to injuries and cramps .

#70 pora pora

pora pora
  • Banned
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

Haven fans should be banned off here...talk siht and are boring the kegs off me...

#71 pora pora

pora pora
  • Banned
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:06 PM

Its a forum lad and very much haven related people can have a opinion.ive posted that dews will beat you because dews was the topic.

#72 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

Good post there mate . And I like Morris to , but he is to slow off the mark and lacks the speed and fluency of movement needed in a centre at this level . He may be good from 5 yards but I can't see him being a threat from 45 . He has great assets and a physical prescence you can't buy , it's just how we use him to maximise his impact and minimise his propensity to injuries and cramps .

hes put some size on in the last 18months - when he was 18 and on the england sqaud he was big and lean and boy could he shift. Not unusual for lads of his age to go too big but thats easily corrected - dont forget the lad is still only 20

#73 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

Hope to see a few town fans at Dewsbury. How are town settling into the Championship? Any players we Dewsbury fans should look out for?
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#74 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,217 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

Yes that's the other side of the coin wonder. He's looking at the forwards now , but it's in his hands to get fitter and leaner to stay in the backs . Still young as you say and still an exciting prospect with a great physique .A long term prospect to hold on to and nurture with plenty of raw material to work on .

Edited by DavidM, 25 April 2013 - 08:30 PM.

#75 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

I like Andy Morris a lot but he's so slow off the mark he's easily exposed. His defence is good but I think he's easily kept at arms length, deffo get luppy to loose kayle and Calum at half back olstrom spelling Matty at 9.
I would like to see Hume in centre with mossop, 10 games in and coyle still doesn't look fit, free up his wages for someone else.

Shock horror Coyle was ###### at Widnes does he still play with his head down?Very average halfback.

#76 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 865 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:39 PM

Dewsbury chap look out for 1 to 17 we are a team and we are coming for fingers crossed a great game of rugby and some points!! Haven chaps alias I don't mind the banter but 7-0 7up hahahaven is my feelings tonight and also pora what a waste of money!!

#77 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,933 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

Hope to see a few town fans at Dewsbury. How are town settling into the Championship? Any players we Dewsbury fans should look out for?

There's usually about 3 coach loads of fans.    Town are doing okay.   We are two games behind everyone else so probably in a false position but I would say we are much the same as yourselves.   I could say all of them but two to watch are young Callum Phillips in his first year from the amateur ranks and jamie Acton an all action prop that never stops going forward.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#78 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,217 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

Acton is fast becoming a pack leader by example and a real game turner . His attitude and work rate are great , and he looks destined for better .But it would be good to see him coming on to reinforce a good start and not turning the game !! Sluggish starts are things we need to rectify , hell of a lot easier and less pressurised playing from in front from the get go.

Edited by DavidM, 25 April 2013 - 09:04 PM.

#79 ameliasdaddy

ameliasdaddy
  • Workington
  • 137 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:37 AM

Acton is fast becoming a pack leader by example and a real game turner . His attitude and work rate are great , and he looks destined for better .But it would be good to see him coming on to reinforce a good start and not turning the game !! Sluggish starts are things we need to rectify , hell of a lot easier and less pressurised playing from in front from the get go.

Why not start Acton, he looks the fittest and most dynamic of our props, I totally understand the impact thing but we're a confidence team also, a good start to a game for a change would boost confidence IMO.

#80 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,217 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

Why not , Thacks n Acton are our best at bending the line up the guts ,so having them off the field together gives other teams with power props an advantage in the first 20 . Then we keep clawing it back . You could start one and hold one back so their impact is spread out over a longer period and we're sure of a more explosive start . I also think the time has come now to start Matty after bedding him in , and lets really start hitting it full on from the gun . Time to hit our straps from minute one , not after our substitutions .

Edited by DavidM, 26 April 2013 - 10:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users