TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Is the St Helens & Ireland Rugby League partnership still active?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:11 PM

Wales Rugby League are really benefitting from Wigans partnership with them and South Wales Scorpions they have a number of young welsh players on their books, Iestyn Harris learning his trade under Shaun Wane and todays big signing of Andy Powell.
Just wandering what happened to the Saints partnership with Ireland and whether its still on going. I'd like to also see Scotland team up with a SL team, I know the Hull teams had some scots on their books but this I think this is the way forward for Celtic nations.

#2 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:07 PM

Wales Rugby League are really benefitting from Wigans partnership with them and South Wales Scorpions they have a number of young welsh players on their books, Iestyn Harris learning his trade under Shaun Wane and todays big signing of Andy Powell.
Just wandering what happened to the Saints partnership with Ireland and whether its still on going. I'd like to also see Scotland team up with a SL team, I know the Hull teams had some scots on their books but this I think this is the way forward for Celtic nations.

I don't think there was ever a Saints-Ireland partnership.  We recruited two Irish lads and they played for the under 20s for a while but both have returned to rugby union now I think.  Saints don't form partnerships voluntarily so far as I'm aware, although briefly under the assistant coach who was fired with Simmons last year we had a kind of partnership with rugby league in Canada.

Saints are a myopic club on the whole, which frustrates the heck out of me.

#3 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:19 PM

Hummm, that's unfortunate as there's so much that saints could gain from such a partnership.

#4 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

If you look at Wigan, by tapping into a different pool of talent they are more likely to bring through more youngsters. They could hire Brian Carney as an ambassador of sorts and bring through a few young players and coaches.

#5 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:57 AM

If you look at Wigan, by tapping into a different pool of talent they are more likely to bring through more youngsters. They could hire Brian Carney as an ambassador of sorts and bring through a few young players and coaches.

Saints just aren't that kind of club unfortunately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users