Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

27/04/13 - Salford City Reds v Castleford Tigers - KO 6.45pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted Salford City Reds (10 votes [90.91%])

Percentage of vote: 90.91%

2. Castleford Tigers (1 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

It weren't pretty but it was entertaining

#22 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,456 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

Strange to think that some Salford fans are beefing about getting Brian Noble as coach.

They'd be better off wishing him the best of luck in finding five new forwards, two backs and a fullback just to get them in contention for the playoffs.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#23 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,538 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:15 PM

It wasn't perfect but I enjoyed that game.

I think some people on here would be better off following another sport where their exacting standards are met more consistently.

Personally, as a game between the two lowest ranked teams in the league, that'll do for me.

Ps, who are all these Salford fans "beefing" about Noble? I haven't spoken to one yet

#24 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

I thought that was a really entertaining game.  Defences were rubbish but that was partly what made the game entertaining: we actually got to enjoy some attacking rugby, and some of it was pretty impressive too.  I rather like the look of Theo Fages.  He's got some real potential.  I was surprised that Sneyd got the Sky MoM because I thought he had a mix of a game really.  Dixon was good for Salford too.  For Cas, Shenton looked like his old self again.  He's obviously recovered from his misguided venture over to the better side of the Pennines!

#25 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,999 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

best team lost for me but we're our own worst enemies at times
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#26 bucklerscott

bucklerscott
  • Players
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:35 PM

Worse defences seen in a long time, it was like touch n pass. You score, now you score, Championship beckons for one of these! Give up the ghost, cas join with wakefield, Widnes and Salford come together, lets create a strong superleague not just 3 good sides.

#27 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:40 PM

Stevo kept banging on about Chase and without him Cas wouldn't have been in this game

Maybe if they hasn't broke the bank to keep him they'd have a better balances team and so be in a better position?

#28 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:16 PM

Reply to some of the above posts.

Kenny, "best team lost". That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, of course. However, snapski is closer to the mark with "two poor teams".

Pottsy, I've not heard a Salford fan say anything derogatory about the Noble appointment, either. There must be lots of them, though, cos someone said so. :lol:

Saintslass, Shenton did break a few tackles and looked dangerous, but I thought he looked to have lost some pace from his early days. One of his breaks saw him clear with about 60 metres to go and I thought he was sure to score, but the Salford defence caught him. The Shenton of old would have been in for a try.

bucklerscott, I said earlier that they were the worst two defences (and the worst two attacks!) in the league. What do you expect? As for your merger suggestions,  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: .

As for my view of the game, it was close, it was entertaining, nerve-wracking, nail-biting, squeeky-bum stuff and, yes, full of mistakes. But I don't care because we won. As I said earlier, I don't care how we win, as long we win. We did try very hard to throw it away, though.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#29 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,538 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:24 PM

Worse defences seen in a long time, it was like touch n pass. You score, now you score, Championship beckons for one of these! Give up the ghost, cas join with wakefield, Widnes and Salford come together, lets create a strong superleague not just 3 good sides.

Widnes and Salford? Your geography is worse than your grammar!

#30 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:31 AM

Enjoyed the game, it wasn't high quality, but it was exciting.

Best team won and Cas are back in the league position that suits them :-)

#31 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:33 AM

en anglais?

#32 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:34 AM

Stevo kept banging on about Chase and without him Cas wouldn't have been in this game

Maybe if they hasn't broke the bank to keep him they'd have a better balances team and so be in a better position?

Worth every penny, from my viewpoint at the other side of the M62 ;-)

#33 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:52 AM

It was very entertaining. Like I said last week people seem to struggle to just enjoy the sport they apparently love without complaining about the standard.
It was a bottom of the table clash.

On the game, thought Salford were a touch fortunate at the end - the intercept was mental from Chase when they had just got in front, and when Dixon knocked on on the Salford line he should have got a penalty.
Good to see them get a win under Nible though and pretty sure he'll have a long list of things to work on.

#34 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:58 AM

It was very entertaining. Like I said last week people seem to struggle to just enjoy the sport they apparently love without complaining about the standard.
It was a bottom of the table clash.

On the game, thought Salford were a touch fortunate at the end - the intercept was mental from Chase when they had just got in front, and when Dixon knocked on on the Salford line he should have got a penalty.
Good to see them get a win under Nible though and pretty sure he'll have a long list of things to work on.

I agree with that Dave why can people just not enjoy it for what it was, two teams desperate for a result and a game that went to the wire. I really enjoyed it.

#35 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,538 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:58 AM

Spot on, Dave T.

As someone who watches Salford every week, although there was still lots to work on, I could already see green shoots. We're much better around the ruck and our go-forward is loads better.

The most pleasing thing was finally getting to see what Theo Fages could do behind a pack that's on the front foot.

Onwards and upwards!

#36 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:04 AM

Spot on, Dave T.

As someone who watches Salford every week, although there was still lots to work on, I could already see green shoots. We're much better around the ruck and our go-forward is loads better.

The most pleasing thing was finally getting to see what Theo Fages could do behind a p

ack that's on the front foot.

Onwards and upwards!

Fages was excellent , you can see he has got an excellent rugby brain never stopped, Salford have a gem.

#37 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

Spot on, Dave T.

The most pleasing thing was finally getting to see what Theo Fages could do behind a pack that's on the front foot.

Onwards and upwards!

I dont see much of Salford so dont take this tge wrong way, but I was pleasantly surprised with some of the talent you have. A few signings to strengthen the spine of the team will make a huge difference.
I just hope it doesnt happen too quickly (before the cup game)!

#38 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,538 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

I dont see much of Salford so dont take this tge wrong way, but I was pleasantly surprised with some of the talent you have. A few signings to strengthen the spine of the team will make a huge difference.
I just hope it doesnt happen too quickly (before the cup game)!

We have even more talent waiting in the wings too. Alan Hunte is doing great things with our youth set- up and put his money where his mouth is during his short spell as head coach.

What's pleasing is that Noble has been willing to stick with Theo etc when he could've moved Foran etc back into the starting lineup.

I agree though, Theo could be a bit special. He looks like an old fashioned seven with a bit of mongrel in him. Shame he's not English!

#39 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:27 AM

A great result for us. We need to win games like this and we did. That gives Salford 3 wins out of 7 at home this year - I would have gladly accepted that in January when we emerged from the shadow of liquidation...

On paper this is the worst that SL has to offer - and yes the overall quality of play reflects that, but most people want a close exciting match with lots of tries and that what was provided. I am Rugby League fan not an expert and I enjoyed Friday night's Widnes V Wakey match - lots of tries, close game. Surely better than reading about people switching off at half time when the score is 36-0? Not every team can come up to the standards set by the top teams - I am glad at Salford that we have a top coach, some great young players and lots of potential to get a lot better in all departments.

And as for Cas, I make no secret that I have a soft spot for them and I hate to hear about all the off field problems. They are a proper RL club in a heartland of our game and I wish them all the best. The speculation about their players (Chase/ Clarke etc,..) must be very unsettling. Salford saw the effect of this last year when Smith was linked with Wigan then left followed by talk of Moon, Gleeson & Holdsworth going - we lost our last 7 games.

#40 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

thought salford deserved the win, they weren't pretty but they stuck to the job and never gave in, i would love jodie broughton at widnes.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg