Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#2 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,072 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

Ukip's sap rises

A worthy effort by Farage but but he's just not in the same league as the currently elected politicians, he'll need to become far more scandalous to step up to the big leagues.  Can I suggest he hires an intern and bribes her to say that she's been dancing on his rather more personal pole?  That may help him make the step up.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#3 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,392 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

He gets politico marks for saying he's only been into one such establishment and that was by accident.

- Severus, July 2012

#4 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,680 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

I wonder how many Labour, LibDem and Tory MPs have been questioned by the Guardian over their visits to gay bars.

Not going to happen anytime soon, I reckon.

:D

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#5 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,072 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

I wonder how many Labour, LibDem and Tory MPs have been questioned by the Guardian over their visits to gay bars.

That wouldn't exactly be news though would it?  It'd be about as exciting as seeing a news story about a man having a morning cup of tea.  Anyway, aren't the days of being scandalised about people going to gay bars years behind us?

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#6 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,680 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

Anyway, aren't the days of being scandalised about people going to gay bars years behind us?

Not if you're a newspaper with a political agenda to push. The papers are all going to target Nigel Farage because UKIP is a threat to each of the other parties.

Edited by Wolford6, 24 April 2013 - 12:45 PM.

#7 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,072 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

Not if you're a newspaper with a political agenda to push. The papers are all going to target Nigel Farage because UKIP is a threat to each of the other parties.

I agree they're a threat to the Conservatives and a limited number of Labour seats but I doubt the Lib Dems will be doing anything other than cheerleading them along to weaken the Tory vote.

#8 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,392 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

Anyway, aren't the days of being scandalised about people going to gay bars years behind us?

*wistful*

I haven't been to a gay bar in ages.

- Severus, July 2012

#9 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,392 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

I agree they're a threat to the Conservatives and a limited number of Labour seats but I doubt the Lib Dems will be doing anything other than cheerleading them along to weaken the Tory vote.

Test run round here next week.  UKIP standing in a lot of seats for Bucks council on a strong platform of banners with pound signs on them.  The Lib Dem vote isn't particularly down in the area.  It wouldn't take that many Tories (grumbling about HS2 or non-existent immigration round here) to go purple for the LDs to benefit here and there.

- Severus, July 2012

#10 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,122 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

I can't help but wonder why UKIP are standing in local elections, surely as a single issue anti-EU party they are entirely irrelevant to local politics.

Actually I could have missed out the "to local politcs" bit of that sentence without affecting the accuracy.

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#11 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,680 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

I can't help but wonder why UKIP are standing in local elections, surely as a single issue anti-EU party they are entirely irrelevant to local politics.

Actually I could have missed out the "to local politcs" bit of that sentence without affecting the accuracy.

You're in a mood. Has someone borrowed your cup?

#12 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,392 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:24 PM

I think they're standing in every ward in the district which is more than Labour, the Lib Dems or the Greens can manage.  I honestly couldn't tell you what their platform is locally (beyond the pound sign banners) because we've had no literature through from anyone.

EDIT
Not unsurprisingly they are a single issue party here.  That issue is: NO TO HS2.

Edited by gingerjon, 24 April 2013 - 01:27 PM.

- Severus, July 2012

#13 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,122 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

You're in a mood. Has someone borrowed your cup?

Having to work with the MD at his place today. I may add to the crime statistics by the end of the week if he's not careful.

Aplogies if I'm being a bit abrasive  :D

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#14 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

I wonder, if UKIP keep taking Conservative voters if they'll regret not pushing for AV.

#15 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,570 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

Farage in Bulgaria on C4 news last night was very entertaining TV. He was having a great time getting sloshed and dancing with some very attractive local women then telling a Roma family they'd better off coming to Britain and claiming benefits but my favourite bit was him being interviewed on Bulgarian TV. The questions were along the lines of  'Isn't it true all of your country's wealth was robbed from other people?'. 'What's the origin of your surname?' and my favourite 'Isn't it true that without immigration all of the women in your country would have moustaches because you'd all be married to your first cousins?'

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#16 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:20 AM

Gay men often go to gay bars.

You probably don't want to think about it, but they frequently leave the gay bar and go on to have botty sex.

Quite a number of MPs have admitted to this type of behaviour. As this isn't 1955, noone really cares anymore.

HTH

That's me.  I'm done.

#17 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,618 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:25 AM

suspect a strong showing for UKIP at the forthcoming local elections as they replace the Lib Dems as party of protest. However, they don'y have any MPs and when it comes to a general election, I think people make decisions on a different basis

#18 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,920 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

Quite a thoughtful article on Farage by Peter Oborne in the Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph...lous-chaos.html

#19 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,392 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:04 AM

An article that says "Ukip has ceased to be just a single-issue party" but then doesn't say what any of the other issues on which the party has an opinion are (or what those views might be).

As I say, round here they're saying that a vote for them is a vote against ... well it's a vote against HS2 and something about Bucks County Council planners.

Always a vote against.  Never a vote for.

- Severus, July 2012

#20 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

Quite a thoughtful article on Farage by Peter Oborne in the Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph...lous-chaos.html

Nigel Farage is a remarkable man. Although I find him thoroughly unlikeable, he has considerable charisma and is very hard working.

What that article fails to point out is that without Farage, UKIP is basically a rabble of annoying golf club bores banging on about how the EU wants to interfere with our sausages. There doesn't appear to be anyone else with any ability. Even Respect had Salma Yaqoob until she finally got fed up with Gorgeous George and his attitude to women.

The other mistake in the article is in the line "As a result, Ukip has ceased to be just a single-issue party. It has steadily widened into a broad-based national revolt against a remote and cynical ruling elite."

Although this is true, the problem is that UKIP isn't really for anything. You vote UKIP because you're against things. Against the EU, against "a remote and cynical ruling elite", against political bloody correctness. UKIP really are a single issue party, and that issue is a big wet blancmange of things that a certain type of sub-Alan Partridge middle aged man doesn't understand and doesn't bloody well intend to understand.

That's me.  I'm done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users